Stanton Glantz With New Research

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigEgo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2013
Alabama
TL;DR: Vapers are 1.3 times more likely than non-vapers to develop lung disease such as chronic bronchitis or emphysema. Smokers are 2.6 times more likely than non-smokers. People who both smoke and vape are well over 3 times more at risk, making them the highest risk group.

Glantz and his team followed 30,000 vapers, smokers and non-users for three years. They are claiming this is the first long-term study on vaping. They claim people who only vaped saw a 1.3 times increase in lung diseases over people who neither smoked or vaped. Glantz further claims that only 1% of his cohort vaped only. In other words, 99% of the vapers also smoked. (Those numbers don't jibe with other research I've seen showing over 20% of people successfully quit smoking by vaping. Just anecdotally, I would bet most members of ECF do not smoke).

Glantz is thoroughly anti-vaping and has been for years. I don't trust him, but I DO think his research seems reasonable. I always figured vaping is worse than not vaping at all, but less harmful than smoking. His numbers seem to reflect that.

Link to news article: https://medicalxpress.com/news/2019-12-e-cigarettes-significantly-chronic-lung-disease.html

Iron Molly

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2010
State of Anxiety
Glantz further claims that only 1% of his cohort vaped only. In other words, 99% of the vapers also smoked.

He must be using a methodology that says if you EVER smoked, you are a dual user. That's the only way that 1% makes any sense. I would buy 1% being never-smoking vapers.

StormFinch

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2010
Arkansas
This was not even a study, it was an analysis of PATH data. And, like his supposed "vaping causes heart attacks" drivel (hint: part of his cohort had heart attacks before they ever started vaping) I'm sure he did some creative math on this one as well. Funny thing is, he still managed to find that e-cigarettes are safER than smoking, though probably not for a lack of trying. Sci-Hub | | 10.1016/j.amepre.2019.07.028

Keep in mind, this is a mechanical engineer parading as a medical professional who claims his colleagues' work while sexually harassing them.

Here are Clive Bate's comments on this particular piece of Glantz's work while it was still a conference abstract. He stood by them today on Twitter.
Vaping risk compared to smoking: challenging a false and dangerous claim by Professor Stanton Glantz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread