Started vaping - throat so sore I'm thinking of smoking again. Please help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ripply

Jan 27, 2018
U.K.
I've spent a fortune trying all sorts of ecig kits and types. None of them worked for me and I quickly started smoking again. Finally I found one that I really loved. However I got a sore throat very soon after and it hasn't gone away. I read that new vapers should drink more water but that hasn't helped. Then I read that I should try pure vg liquid but I can't find that. I only want cig-a-like types as there's no refilling etc. This one is by V2 and I've been using their vanilla 1.8% nicotine, which is the highest nicotine level they sell here. I really like the flavour but my throat feels like burned and swollen. This soon eases if I don't vape for a while but then I'm craving a smoke again. Could anyone help? I'm not sure what to do next.

Reactions: tgs3

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
Welcome to the forum. :)

Sounds like the sore throat is only from the V2, not other vaporizers you have used so the would tend to rule out pg/vg as the source. I suspect it is one of two things, the vanilla flavoring does not agree with you or the liquid is getting too hot. Over heated e-liquid can be an irritant due to the heat and the byproducts produced when some of the liquid's ingredients are burnt. To quit smoking it may take using a different vaporizer and liquid, maybe one that requires a little more effort (refilling) on your part to be successful.

PapawBrett

Retired
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 16, 2012
Monroe NC
Some call it "Chain Vaping", repeatedly vape after vape after vape.
The electronic coil that atomizer the e-liquid to produce vapor needs to cool off between vapes. Maybe 20-30 seconds or so. If you are chain vaping, the coil only gets hotter with each puff.
Could this be what you are experiencing ?

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
I have felt it become hot in my hand. The cartridge itself. I wasn't sure if that is normal or not. Is that a sign I'm using it too much, and too often?

Warm yes but if it is getting hot that's probably the issue. The little cig-a-likes usually don't have a lot of airflow needed to keep the coil cooled when chain vaping. There are pod style vaporizers that may work better for you, some are refillable some are not.

lynn508

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2011
alabam
Have you tried a lower nic content maybe 12mg. When I started over six years ago I used v2 but 18mg was too much for me even in a cigalike, had to dilute it. I was a 2+pad smoker of Winston/ Marlboro lights. It sounds like either the vapor is too hot, nic is too strong, or you can't handle that specific flavor. I have a problem with any juice that contains vanilla custard makes me sick to my stomach for some reason. If I remember right the v2 cigalike was one of the better ones with more power than a lot of others, and have probably gotten better over the years. They are really expensive for what they offer but I did like the van flavor and spearmint. I would suggest a vape pen that has variable voltage, and refilling a small tank with your own flavors is easy and so much cheaper.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I went through a period of horrible sore throat when switching over fully. You may have not experienced it as much while dual using, but overheated juice can definitely be painful. I agree that chain-vaping a cigalike may overheat juice.

I am PG sensitive but even switching to max VG I had a sore throat for a while. I think it was due to dehydration. I didn't really notice as much when I was only vaping sporadically. Mine passed in about a week. If you really prefer this style of vaping, perhaps getting a backup kit and alternating them may help. The suggestion of a different flavor makes sense to me too. Vanillas make me hoarse even to this day, so I pretty much don't vape them. Could try some other flavors. If it's the flavoring, it will pass more quickly but vaping tends to be drying to the system, while smoking isn't... they actually add something called "humectants" to keep the tobacco moist and sliding down your throat with ease. God only knows what chemicals achieve that.

Keep vaping, drink lots of fluids, maybe get a back up device and avoid the vanillas. See how it goes. You should have a backup anyway in case one of them breaks, it makes it easier to not panic and return to smoking.

Welcome to ECF hope you get it sorted out.

Anna

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I've spent a fortune trying all sorts of ecig kits and types. None of them worked for me and I quickly started smoking again. Finally I found one that I really loved. However I got a sore throat very soon after and it hasn't gone away. I read that new vapers should drink more water but that hasn't helped. Then I read that I should try pure vg liquid but I can't find that. I only want cig-a-like types as there's no refilling etc. This one is by V2 and I've been using their vanilla 1.8% nicotine, which is the highest nicotine level they sell here. I really like the flavour but my throat feels like burned and swollen. This soon eases if I don't vape for a while but then I'm craving a smoke again. Could anyone help? I'm not sure what to do next.

Hi Ripply. Welcome to the ECF.

Could be a couple of things that is cause you to have Throat problems.

Hitting too Fast. Try taking Slower/Longer Hits.
Hitting Back to Back (Chain Vaping). This can make the Atomizer Heat Up causing a Harsher Hit.
Too High of a Nicotine Level.

Perhaps (too me) the most likely, Too High of a PG Percentage. Try using am e-Liquid that has a Lower amount of PG.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. At a guess, too much nic or too high a PG percentage. If you will only use Cig-a-likes, you may be out of luck. I don't know much about them, but AFAIK you can't refill the carts with your own juice, you're stuck with whatever they offer you.

Ripply

Jan 27, 2018
U.K.
I really appreciate all the replies. I've been trying to find out the PG level but I can't see it anywhere on the V2 website.

I would be willing to try another type of ecig if someone could recommend something really idiot-proof and not too big and bulky. (I'm not sure if I'm allowed to ask for suggestions here so apologies if I'm not!).

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can ask for suggestions here. The problem is that cigalikes are idiot-proof, until they break catastrophically. Anything other than a cigalike is going to require more to get up and running, but not THAT much more knowledge and there are tons of tutorials on line. With even an OPEN cartridge systems were blanks can be purchased and filled with juice, your costs would likely be lower. If you like that idea, checking out the "Pod mod" forum might be helpful, you could get recommendations and there are many options.

Your other options would be an all in one kit. I haven't tried that many AIO but have given a couple away, and they're really just tube style mods (well not all of them) often with a juice reservoir the coil sits in, or a tank with a coil inside.

The next step would probably be something like an aspire zelos mod, which has a nautilus 2 tank. You'd get better battery life, there is a USB charger so you can charge it whenever, and the Nautilus 2 tank is pretty easygoing for a beginner. Can usually find such setups various places online for under $35--50. There are various other makers like the Innoken T18 or T22, which are fixed wattage tube mods, but many new vapers like them, or many other options.

With a tank/coi/separate battery/mod, you will be able to purchase whatever juice appeals to you and use it in your tank. The coils don't last forever and need to be replaced, but it's easy to do and usually at a lower cost than pods, although not always I don't think. The nice thing about a variable wattage mod is that it allows you to find the wattage "best" for you, they tend to give more vapor than a cigalike, and so sometimes the juice doesn't need to be so high. You can vape more often in order to sooth any cravings, and you will probably get more volume of (and more satisfying) vapor. Can also adjust the airflow in the tank, the type of coils (e.g. nautilus coils come in 0.7 ohms, 1.6 and 1.8 ohms, so you can also find the coil you prefer. More flexibility tends to mean a better vape FOR YOU. You have infinitely more options than the various flavored and nicotine level juices, including Nicotine Salt juices if you like this juice type.

This is just a small beginning, but if you are looking for something else, these are some of your options. You can keep your cigalike as a backup or stealth vape.

Best of luck, and welcome to the boards.

Anna

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Have you tried vapor4life? They have prefilled coils plus you could order blank cartridges to fill with your own ejuice, if you prefer.......this company has been around since at least 2010 if not longer and has a forum here on ecf. Check it out, they have plenty of different styles in what you are looking for at all different price levels. Come back and ask if you have questions....

They also have plenty of discount codes so be sure to check out their homepage......I have no association to this company, just a former customer.

https://www.vapor4life.com/vapor-titan-premium-e-cig-kit/

:)

Ripply

Jan 27, 2018
U.K.
I'm not sure what to try first tbh. I need to work out if it's the PG, the vanilla flavour or just the way I'm using it. I've finally managed to find a list of ingredients for V2 flavours and it's surprising that a lot of them contain vanilla, even the congress flavour. They all seem quite high in PG too (around 70%). They do have a green tea menthol flavour which doesn't contain vanilla so I could try that, even though I don't really like menthol.

I guess I'll have to buy another brand with lower (or zero) PG, and see if that is the problem too.

I can see this becoming very expensive

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
I'm not sure what to try first tbh. I need to work out if it's the PG, the vanilla flavour or just the way I'm using it. I've finally managed to find a list of ingredients for V2 flavours and it's surprising that a lot of them contain vanilla, even the congress flavour. They all seem quite high in PG too (around 70%). They do have a green tea menthol flavour which doesn't contain vanilla so I could try that, even though I don't really like menthol.

I guess I'll have to buy another brand with lower (or zero) PG, and see if that is the problem too.

I can see this becoming very expensive
It can be a bit pricey at first until you find what you like.......but then consider the costs of a pack of smokes too. And while ecigs do require a bit of learning and maintenance and are not as easy as opening a pack and flipping a bic, they do work and work well to keep us off those nasty cigarettes.....Isn't that why we are all here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread