Starting building... and questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Okay, so I finally read a bunch of stuff, pulled out my coil building materials, took a look at steam engine and practice wrapped a few 3 mm coils on a coil jig.

They're a bit frankensteinish, but I was mainly practicing to see if I could wrap that wire at all.... it's getting easier. I do have a couple questions before I even try to break out the Ohms meter and start burning any coils...

The tank I am planning to use them in "The Russian, 3.0" I believe it is called, has a dual coil setup. I am currently of the understanding that it's fine to put a single coil in there, and let the other posts sit? Is that correct? I'm looking for something around 1.0 ohms, seems to me halving my resistance would just cause me to have to make more wraps/higher gauge wire? Or should I really use both?

Also, I am assuming in steam engine that internal coil measurement is what I'm wrapping on, so if I use a 3.0 mm jig, that's the internal diameter of the coil? The length would be the length between my positive and negative screw/post? Is that correct?

I just want to make sure I'm getting all this correct as I've been practicing wrapping with Kanthal wire, but I do want to use stainless steel..... I have all kinds of crazy gauges of that. Would someone want to chime in with a good starting point for SS wire diameter if I'm shooting for around 1.0 ohms?

Thanks to anyone who can help, just want my first build to be a success :) Thanks. This is, for some reason, WAY harder for me than DIY juice was....

Thanks,

Anna

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi
Okay, so I finally read a bunch of stuff, pulled out my coil building materials, took a look at steam engine and practice wrapped a few 3 mm coils on a coil jig.

They're a bit frankensteinish, but I was mainly practicing to see if I could wrap that wire at all.... it's getting easier. I do have a couple questions before I even try to break out the Ohms meter and start burning any coils...

The tank I am planning to use them in "The Russian, 3.0" I believe it is called, has a dual coil setup. I am currently of the understanding that it's fine to put a single coil in there, and let the other posts sit? Is that correct? I'm looking for something around 1.0 ohms, seems to me halving my resistance would just cause me to have to make more wraps/higher gauge wire? Or should I really use both?

Also, I am assuming in steam engine that internal coil measurement is what I'm wrapping on, so if I use a 3.0 mm jig, that's the internal diameter of the coil? The length would be the length between my positive and negative screw/post? Is that correct?

I just want to make sure I'm getting all this correct as I've been practicing wrapping with Kanthal wire, but I do want to use stainless steel..... I have all kinds of crazy gauges of that. Would someone want to chime in with a good starting point for SS wire diameter if I'm shooting for around 1.0 ohms?

Thanks to anyone who can help, just want my first build to be a success :) Thanks. This is, for some reason, WAY harder for me than DIY juice was....

Thanks,

Anna
Hi Anna,
28AWG SS316

And just to muddy the waters : I'd suggest you get the CV Hussar RTA.
Hussar RTA single coil deck (attack of the clones)

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Thanks Izan,

I do have that particular stainless steel wire. I checked out the Hussar and decided to go ahead with it, since I'm sure I'll have more success starting out with a single build coil. Thanks for the advice. I'm not in a huge rush, so I don't mind waiting a bit for that tank to arrive, while I'm fooling with other stuff coil related... I'm going to go easy on this one, I think. Thank you :)

Anna

Reactions: Izan

rob33

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2009
A World Traveler
Anna, just make sure your wire is "annealed" (the spring has been removed) remember that SS has a lower resistance than kanthal so about 2/3 the number of wraps is needed for the same diameter coil and gauge. If you are making connected coils a coil master is a good tool if you are just getting started, I still use mine.

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You heat it first, right? I was pretty sure wrapping would be easier that way, but didn't want to dig out the "flamethrower/blowtorch" as I like to call it without some adult supervision, and the family was out. :) Funny, I used to supervise my kid with the blowtorch (he liked making soldering patterns with solder and different metals when he was 8, but really, I was more watching the event, the boy is a tech genius compared to myself.... :) )

I was just practicing, was surprised actually that the coil jig was fairly easy... I think steam engine will let you put in your particular wire to figure out wraps, so yes, I did figure there would be differences, I just had no idea where to start with the SS as I bought a bunch of different types. The coilbuilder kit seems pretty cool and I'm fairly certain I will be successful in the end. :)

FORTUNATELY, quitting has allowed me to reduce a medication that used to give me a fine motor tremor, so that is a HUGE bonus. HUGE. I'm almost getting... Not clumsy. :) :) Vaping win!!!

Thanks, Rob33.

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Thanks Rob, me too! I can't believe how much my health has improved, all my docs are starting to cross me off their "OMG I will get THAT call very soon...." list. :) I'm actually excited to see what happens during my next cold and if I won't get some bronchial issue, but there have been huge heath gains besides that, it IS super cool! I am so glad not to constantly be asked about my tremor, a lot of people assume I'm going to have a seizure or something and then I have to explain.... No longer :)

I did buy wire that was marketed as "ecig" wire, so I imagine it's annealed, but I will check next time I dig it out of the closet, the kanthal that I used didn't seem very "springy"...

Thanks for the help, Rob33 and Izan :) It's appreciated!

Anna

Foggy Road

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2015
Garland,TX

Coil jig?? whodat? jus kidding, actually have one (of sorts). Took it outta da box once and put it right back. But if it gives ya the confidence to get started on yer building journey it's a great thing to have. I think I see a couple unaddressed questions I may be of some help with.

Please note: I am by no means any degree of expert. But I've been doing my simple single wire single coil stuff fer a couple years now. I have a few RTAs but my personal preference is the little drop in coils that are actually designed to be rebiuldable.

Frankensteinish! :w00t: Heck half mine still look that way! I ain't dress in 'em and send in 'em out fer family photos. But they all make vapor. Ohms meter? Umm... Good thing to have. One of these days I'll get one too. ;)

Never own anything for dual coils but have read that some require adapters or a plug for the juice flow for the side you're not using. Don't know the Russian so I'm no help there.

Ya got the internal diameter right. The "leg length" is the length of the wire from the point where it leaves the coil to the post where it attaches. You need to add the total length for both legs.

I see Ya already got a answer fer that.

Thanks,

Anna

Yer more than welcome dat's what we're here fer.

Joakim Langborg

Aug 3, 2017
I use either 28 or 30 awg SS316L when I build high ohm around 1 ohm. For TC I found out that for me 0.9 ohm with 28 awg around a 3mm stick at 8 wraps works best. (Even though it doesn't matter that much what ohm you use for TC but feels unnecessary to use to low resistance when it's not needed, save battery that way) and I don't always run TC so it's simpler to switch to power mode.

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Alrighty!! It's going to take a while for my easier tank to get here, I'm tired of waiting, I read up on the "Russian 3.0" which seems to have more enthusiasts in Europe which kind of makes sense since it's a German tank. Apparently one of the Kayfun builders had a snit and went elsewhere? I can't verify that, can only say that I have a tank that retailed at over $100 and I got it for $28, so what could go wrong?? But, it does get good reviews. It's a lazy Saturday, the husband and I just had *this conversation.*
"So, I'm going to build and try to vape a coil, want to help, be involved?"
"Uuh...."
"Well, you're probably going to be!!!!!! Find the blowtorch!"
"Compliance"

So, off to gather supplies, open steamengine and get myself set up, I am planning to approach it as an exciting adventure, and apparently one coil will work fine, though honestly, I'm going to just see what happens. That tank weighs a ton, it's a solid build, even if I fail miserably I doubt I'll destroy anything other than maybe a coil and I have a project for the day :lol: .

Wish me luck everyone and thank you all for the help (I shall be consulting this thread frequently, starting with grabbing the correct wire..... :)

Anna

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Oh man.... That went great! At first! Reluctant husband and I were able to build a 1.22 resistance coil (I did most of the coiling, he kept insisting my coils weren't "good" enough, eventually I was like dude, we aren't building a bridge, okay? The only thing that was utterly dreadful was the screwing the coil down onto the build deck, but that was accomplished. Finally. Ohms meter was played with....

I got like 5 EXCELLENT vapes out of it, after wicking it (I think that's my problem right now, either that or I really just need to use two coils in that Russian 3.0 thing...) and proudly went to show it off to the Husband, at which point it started leaking like a SIEVE, sadly, so I had to close off airflow and juiceflow and.... gave up for the day. It was a GREAT vape, though. :) Now I'm.... done, but the nice thing about this sucker is the deck is below everything else.... So I will just take a look at my coil and wick and see WTH is going on.... But Not Today.

That said I learned a LOT and either I need two coils in there (should be doable) or I wick very badly... TBH I had NO idea how much cotton to put in there and may have vastly overdone it. But either way, it was a LOT of fun :)

Anna

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
If you posted pics it might be easier to help. And put down the blowtorch it's 2017 LOL. Think you were watching old videos to build. We don't have to do that anymore. You can pulse your coils on your mod. SS316L can be treated exactly like Kanthal wire. SS316L needs more wraps to get to the same resistance. Sometimes SS316L will not work in certain RTAs due to space issues. Unless you plan on using it in temp control. Then ohms do not matter. But you will have to space your coils for TC. But if you want to run it in wattage mode you can make contact coils. But pics might help.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think I was watching older stuff! I did have fun with the blowtorch though and now know how to use it, heh, although yes, when I got to the step of heating it on the ohms meter, I was like... This seems redundant. :)

I do want to use TC, there isn't a lot of space in that tank though, so maybe I'll just use kanthal in it, or something.... I mean, I don't have to go from 0---90 mph in a day, for sure.

When I disassemble it tomorrow I will take pics and post them, as yes, pictures help, and it will give me some motivation to finally figure out how to upload pics onto this site that aren't avatars.... I think my problem is either I need dual coils, or my wicking. I will do that and post them, thanks for the advice :)

Anma

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Also, it's a 25 mm deck, I think, though it seems ridiculously tiny, it's more a matter of just... Learning how to do things on what SEEMS like a microscopic scale, with those screws.... IDK @Beamslider, it didn't mention one.... Oooh though, looking at my accessories for the tank, I have some sliver looking piece of metal that looks like it can be screwed down under the other screws.... I BET that's my problem. TY. :)

Anna

Cosmic_Glaze

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2016
Also, it's a 25 mm deck, I think, though it seems ridiculously tiny, it's more a matter of just... Learning how to do things on what SEEMS like a microscopic scale, with those screws.... IDK @Beamslider, it didn't mention one.... Oooh though, looking at my accessories for the tank, I have some sliver looking piece of metal that looks like it can be screwed down under the other screws.... I BET that's my problem. TY. :)

Anna
You picked a pretty hard tank for your first one, but once you can get this down all others should be a breeze:D

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That's super helpful Beamslider, thanks! Yeah, actually, the deck (which I briefly opened and looked at, and my wick is very sad and drenched) is pretty small even though it's a 25 mm tank, so I'll try it that way (but I will post a pic of my first attempt for fun tomorrow... If anything, the wick looks pathetic and tiny, but it's completely drenched....) Husband is now invested in this working, so I will show him that thread and pic, and I'm fairly sure he'll be able to replicate it, he kept grabbing tools from me before I knew I needed them, so.... But, I can only absorb so much in a day these days! Yeah, the tank is complicated.... I really enjoyed my five vapes though! :)

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread