Starting DIY thx to FDA Deeming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
So I've ordered nic from nudenicotine, a bunch of TFA flavors in small sizes from bull city vapors, and lab/safety supplies. I've downloaded e juice me up as well, and all this stuff is starting to show up at my front door.

So I've read on this forum that I should start with small amounts until I can pull together a flavor that works, so I'm assuming I should start with 10ml at a time. All that said, I have a few questions:

The calc says to put in like 8 drops or something when making a 10ml sample with 2% of a specific flavor. It's using 20 drops per ML - is that assumption right?

I'm also wondering what experienced folks think of what I'm planning for my first attempts (all flavorings are TFA):

My wife is a huge fan of Mister E's RY4 - so I'm planning on one of the first samples being 15 or 20% RY4 double. That's what I've seen on other posts on this forum.

I was also going to try to duplicate the nice pipe/blueberry/cream flavor of Mister E's Copperhead, but change it to cherry. Planning to do 2.5% Mild Black, 5% Black Cherry,1% Vanilla Swirl, 1% sweetener, and 2% Sweet Cream. (The mild black also kinda smells like Teleos' Eight Bells, which is a good thing.)

All comments/help appreciated!

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
Welcome to the dark side.

I've never used the drop method so I can't help there. The TFA mixing % list shows RY4 Double as 5% - 15%. Have you seen that list? It's posted regularly in the TFA thread. Most people recommend starting low and working up.
Thanks. I'm only using the drop method because some flavors are low percentage in 10 ML target batch. Will just use MLs once I can verify my attempts are vapeable.

I did see the flavor recommendations, and I'm tempted to start on the higher side. My wife and I tend to like strong flavors (Teleos and Vapetasia have been our go to's even though I'm trying to duplicate Mr. E's flavored tobaccos right now). I'll drop down to 10% on the RY4 Double on the first attempt to be safe.

Thanks again!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So I've ordered nic from nudenicotine, a bunch of TFA flavors in small sizes from bull city vapors, and lab/safety supplies. I've downloaded e juice me up as well, and all this stuff is starting to show up at my front door.

So I've read on this forum that I should start with small amounts until I can pull together a flavor that works, so I'm assuming I should start with 10ml at a time. All that said, I have a few questions:

The calc says to put in like 8 drops or something when making a 10ml sample with 2% of a specific flavor. It's using 20 drops per ML - is that assumption right?

I'm also wondering what experienced folks think of what I'm planning for my first attempts (all flavorings are TFA):

My wife is a huge fan of Mister E's RY4 - so I'm planning on one of the first samples being 15 or 20% RY4 double. That's what I've seen on other posts on this forum.

I was also going to try to duplicate the nice pipe/blueberry/cream flavor of Mister E's Copperhead, but change it to cherry. Planning to do 2.5% Mild Black, 5% Black Cherry,1% Vanilla Swirl, 1% sweetener, and 2% Sweet Cream. (The mild black also kinda smells like Teleos' Eight Bells, which is a good thing.)

There is Nothing Wrong with using Drops to dispense Flavorings. As long as you understand that the Volume of the Drop will Vary depending on the Size of the Dropper you use. And the Viscosity of the Liquid being dropped.

Just about all PG Flavors have about the Same Viscosity. Something Very Close to water. But the Size of a Dropper can Vary Substantially. From a Turkey Baster. To a Teeny Tiny Dropper.

So like I said, Nothing wrong with using a Drops to add Flavoring. But if you are, then you need to use the SAME Sized Dropper from Batch to Batch.

Train2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
CA, USA
I think the DoubleRY4 is tastier than most RY4's - hope you like it too!

A couple thoughts -

1- coming from a commercial juice, you might like it at 10-15%. It kind of also depends on your equipment - I went to lower flavor percentages when I went to higher watts...
2 - I don't recommend using drops. I'd get a 1 ml or 3 ml syringe, and go by mls.
3 - The D-RY4 is good fresh, but does change over about a 10 day period steeping - I mean, it literally will change color, from near-clear to a deep amber. The flavor shift is more subtle, but if you like it, you should mix more and let it sit a week or two.

:)
(my all-day flavor still uses D-RY4, and I make a couple hundred ml at a time, a month before I need it)

Reactions: dcdozer

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks all for the responses. I just received the syringes (1, 5, and 10 ml) that I ordered on amazon today, but haven't opened the stuff up yet to look at it. I now have everything I need except the nic, which I ordered first, but they're slammed.

Cool. DIY can be Fun and Very Cost Effective. And you will get Lots of Advice and Tips on doing it.

But Let me give you what I Think are Three of the Most Important things to do.

1 - Keep Detailed and Accurate Dated Records of EVERYTHING that goes into a Mix.

2 - Sample a All New Recipes after it has been Mixed. But even if it Tastes Funky, Don't Add Anything to it until it has sat in a Cool Dark place for at least 3 Days. And if you Add anything to a Mix, Write Down EXACTLY what you Did.

3 - Never Mix Directly over a Desk or a Counter. Always Mix over a Lipped Tray like a Baking Pan. Spill Happen.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
I think the DoubleRY4 is tastier than most RY4's - hope you like it too!

A couple thoughts -

1- coming from a commercial juice, you might like it at 10-15%. It kind of also depends on your equipment - I went to lower flavor percentages when I went to higher watts...
2 - I don't recommend using drops. I'd get a 1 ml or 3 ml syringe, and go by mls.
3 - The D-RY4 is good fresh, but does change over about a 10 day period steeping - I mean, it literally will change color, from near-clear to a deep amber. The flavor shift is more subtle, but if you like it, you should mix more and let it sit a week or two.

(my all-day flavor still uses D-RY4, and I make a couple hundred ml at a time, a month before I need it)

We have the same experience with Mr E's liquids - have to wait at least two weeks for the flavors to meld, and they get much darker.

I use kanger STM and RBA - builds are 1.0 ohms and usually 20 watts. The wife sticks to kanger nano tank, factory 1.5 coils, and around 12 watts.

My 10 ml sample bottles of TFA flavorings have little drippers - not really conducive for extraction by syringe. So should i squeeze into graduated cylinder or something?

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
Cool. DIY can be Fun and Very Cost Effective. And you will get Lots of Advice and Tips on doing it.

But Let me give you what I Think are Three of the Most Important things to do.

1 - Keep Detailed and Accurate Dated Records of EVERYTHING that goes into a Mix.

2 - Sample a All New Recipes after it has been Mixed. But even if it Tastes Funky, Don't Add Anything to it until it has sat in a Cool Dark place for at least 3 Days. And if you Add anything to a Mix, Write Down EXACTLY what you Did.

3 - Never Mix Directly over a Desk or a Counter. Always Mix over a Lipped Tray like a Baking Pan. Spill Happen.
I see a place for notes in ejuice me up. Will take advantage. Thanks again - I'm sure I'll have more questions after I actually make my first attempt. Right now I'm looking at all this lab ware and feeling like a wanna be mad scientist.

Reactions: zoiDman

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
Try diluting your commercial liquid 25 75 with unflavored that has the same percents of pg, vg, and nic. It might taste better once you adjust to the more subtle taste. I try to use the least amount of flavoring that works, currently 1.5% of the flavor I'm using these days (see below). A low flavor percent means vapor is harder for bystanders to notice. Your clothes won't smell much if there is a leak and coils and wicks gunk up far far slower. And my DIY costs 1.2 cent per ml, about $30 a year. There are a LOT of benefits to DIY regardless of the Federal Drug Administration and their dooming regulations.

There needs to be retroactive pre market approval for cooked brussel sprouts. (My parents didn't beat me, they made me eat brussel sprouts.)

Last edited:
Reactions: dcdozer

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
Try diluting your commercial liquid 25 75 with unflavored that has the same percents of pg, vg, and nic. It might taste better once you adjust to the more subtle taste. I try to use the least amount of flavoring that works, currently 1.5% of the flavor I'm using these days (see below). A low flavor percent means vapor is harder for bystanders to notice. Your clothes won't smell much if there is a leak and coils and wicks gunk up far far slower. And my DIY costs 1.2 cent per ml, about $30 a year. There are a LOT of benefits to DIY regardless of the Federal Drug Administration and their dooming regulations.

There needs to be retroactive pre market approval for cooked brussel sprouts. (My parents didn't beat me, they made me eat brussel sprouts.)
I'll prob just try first to make liquids that suit my current tastes, then start reducing flavorings. Longer lasting coils is huge - it's one of the reasons we use so much Mr E tobacco juices. Aside from being very expensive per ml, teleos and vapetasia blow through the wife's coils and my builds.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I see a place for notes in ejuice me up. Will take advantage. Thanks again - I'm sure I'll have more questions after I actually make my first attempt. Right now I'm looking at all this lab ware and feeling like a wanna be mad scientist.

I would also Highly Recommend that you Get yourself one of these White Lab Coats...

08W2303B.JPG

Not so much for protection. But for the "Geek Factor" when you sit down and do a Mix.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
I would also Highly Recommend that you Get yourself one of these White Lab Coats...

08W2303B.JPG

Not so much for protection. But for the "Geek Factor" when you sit down and do a Mix.

Hah! That pic is perfect. Even the cheesy, serious look on his face as he stares into the liquid. And you're right - that lab coat is just what I need! :)

Reactions: zoiDman

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
We have the same experience with Mr E's liquids - have to wait at least two weeks for the flavors to meld, and they get much darker.

I use kanger STM and RBA - builds are 1.0 ohms and usually 20 watts. The wife sticks to kanger nano tank, factory 1.5 coils, and around 12 watts.

My 10 ml sample bottles of TFA flavorings have little drippers - not really conducive for extraction by syringe. So should i squeeze into graduated cylinder or something?
Just wanted to bump this question up.

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
You can transfer to a different container but you are always going to sacrifice a small amount of product (ie. flavoring) from whatever sticks to the sides/bottom of container. I'm a cheap bugger so I just use a paper towel and pop the dripper top off and syringe out what I need and pop the top back on.

Also, if you folks are RY4 fans; this is a link to my favorite recipe (not claiming it will be anything like Mr. E's as I have never tried that). I like "Scutch" because it is really good as is but you can also tweak and add a bunch of different ways to make it your own.

Welcome to the DIY family! :D

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'll prob just try first to make liquids that suit my current tastes, then start reducing flavorings. Longer lasting coils is huge - it's one of the reasons we use so much Mr E tobacco juices. Aside from being very expensive per ml, teleos and vapetasia blow through the wife's coils and my builds.
My coils go for weeks, may be indefinitely. I like to rewick about twice a week. When I do that there is barely any color on the cotton under the coil. It seems like I get the best throat hit from a clean coil and fresh wick.

Regardless of the FDA most liquid consumed will be DIY sooner or later.

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
You can transfer to a different container but you are always going to sacrifice a small amount of product (ie. flavoring) from whatever sticks to the sides/bottom of container. I'm a cheap bugger so I just use a paper towel and pop the dripper top off and syringe out what I need and pop the top back on.

Also, if you folks are RY4 fans; this is a link to my favorite recipe (not claiming it will be anything like Mr. E's as I have never tried that). I like "Scutch" because it is really good as is but you can also tweak and add a bunch of different ways to make it your own.

Welcome to the DIY family! :D
Thanks - I'll pop the top off if that's all it takes.

I found that Rwhy4 thread before I ordered from bull city and wrote down a couple of the recipes. Figured I'd start with the single flavor first, then branch out. Thanks!

dcdozer

ECF Veteran
Aug 26, 2015
Northern VA
My coils go for weeks, may be indefinitely. I like to rewick about twice a week. When I do that there is barely any color on the cotton under the coil. It seems like I get the best throat hit from a clean coil and fresh wick.

Regardless of the FDA most liquid consumed will be DIY sooner or later.
Yeah, I will try to drop down on the flavors eventually. My builds make it 24 hours on Teleos/Vapetasia and about 3 days on Mister E. I could prob go longer on Mister E, but I also like a new fresh wick and coil. My wife's factory coils die in a day on Teleos also, but make it over a week on Mister E's RY4.

I just hope I can make tasty, full bodied DIY juice at some point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread