Staying smoke free... my first real test.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cariessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2014
Indiana, United States
I've tried twice before to quit smoking. Both times I hit the 1 month mark, both times I failed before the two month. Both times the same person played a key role in stressing me to the point of going back to stinkies.

My Mom is 72 but still very active. She keeps her house immaculate. Dad has a lot of back pain and can't be near as active so she gets bored sitting around the house. Since my son moved out I decided to move into his old bedroom. It's smaller but has an attached bath and I can close off almost half the house to lower heating and cooling bills. I asked my Mom if she'd like to help clean the carpet before I move into it. I soon saw my error...

She was here the next day when I got home from work. Carpet and walls clean, ceiling painted and half the wallpaper tore off the bathroom. I just wanted the carpet cleaned.

She wants to know if I would like her to paint... sure why not. "What color?" she asks. I tell her "Same as my living room, off-white to tan... somewhere in there." I come home to the most horrible shade of blue on my bathroom vanity and cabinets I've ever seen. I just wanted the carpet cleaned.

I tell her that's got to go, which hurts her feelings, but the next day she's stripped it all off and repainted it "Bone" Ok, good. Now she wants to go wallpaper shopping. I been on my feet 12 hours but sure, lets go wallpaper shopping. I pick out what I want. She heads off to find something else. We're in the store an hour or more after I've made my decision and she says "Well, which one?" I love my Mommy, but seriously... I just wanted the carpet cleaned.

Next day she's had my nephew over to take up the toilet because she's putting down new flooring. Ok, whatever. Got that picked out, just a small remnant, it's a small bathroom. When she got ready to lay it she cut it wrong. Now she's off to buy more. She buys the one she picked out instead of another piece of the same thing I picked out. Whatever. I just wanted the carpet cleaned.

Yesterday she decided the wallpaper didn't match the flooring she picked out so she went and got different wallpaper and had it up before I got home from work. I went from a tan/blue theme with stars and clouds to a tan/pink/peach theme with flowers and birds. I JUST WANTED MY CARPET CLEANED.

There's only been twice in my life I wanted an analog that much. The time I had been quit for 7 weeks and she rearranged all of my kitchen cabinets because she "thought my spices should be above my stove instead of next to it and my silverware should be next to the sink." and the time I had been off cigs for 6 weeks and she rearranged all of mine, my husbands and my sons clothes in our dressers and closets so they'd be 'more organized'.

I just want to cry. I only wanted her to help me clean the carpet.

But I passed the test... still smoke free. I just hope she doesn't decide anything else in my house needs redone.

Cariessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2014
Indiana, United States
Irony at it's finest... 2 minutes after I posted this she calls to ask if I've looked at my bathroom since I got home from work.

"Love it Mom"

"I thought you would. It would have been too much blue with that other wallpaper"

Of course it would.

"Love you Mom, thanks for doing that for me. See you tomorrow"

Where the **** is that vodka... gonna have to buy more to clean my clearos.

Cariessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2014
Indiana, United States
Hang in there!!!

It gets better and gets easier! I feel for you, right now we have my wife's brother living with us. He is experiencing renal failure and has been here for a month and a half and expected to be here for another two months.

Hope you make it through!

I'm sorry for your Brother in law ;( Must be hard having someone actually living with you. I thank the good Lord above Mom and Dad are still healthy enough to live on their own. And not with me.

Here's to you for being good to your wifes family. :) :toast:

Killowatt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Florida
Here ya go, hang in there.
a6e8yve2.jpg

Tap'n on my S5

ToxicRVA

Verified Member
Jul 7, 2014
Richmond, Va, USA
Where the **** is that vodka... gonna have to buy more to clean my clearos.

That's always my excuse to buy more vodka too :)

I'm only at the 15 day mark myself, the only thing I'm concerned about is the rare occasion I go out drinking, that was always when I smoked the most, if I can get through that, whenever it happens, I doubt I'll ever have a problem staying cigarette free.

Cariessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2014
Indiana, United States
That's always my excuse to buy more vodka too :)

I'm only at the 15 day mark myself, the only thing I'm concerned about is the rare occasion I go out drinking, that was always when I smoked the most, if I can get through that, whenever it happens, I doubt I'll ever have a problem staying cigarette free.

Drinking hasn't bothered me at all. My favorite vape with beer, oddly enough, is a good strong coffee flavor. Although I've gone from Coors light to Angry Orchard. I can actually taste things here lately and beer tastes kinda yucky lol

Cariessa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2014
Indiana, United States
I'd give anything for my mom to be able to annoy me & do things I didn't ask for. Sadly she has Alzheimers.

Sent from a BIG phone.....Galaxy Note 3

I'm so sorry :(

Don't get me wrong, I am thankful she's still healthy and active enough at her age to do the things she does. She's always done everything she can to help me with whatever she thinks I need, and she always means to make me happy. That's why I put on my best smile and tell her thank you for whatever she's done.

Then I find some alcohol.

Robino1

Resting in Peace
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Treasure Coast, Florida
I've tried twice before to quit smoking. Both times I hit the 1 month mark, both times I failed before the two month. Both times the same person played a key role in stressing me to the point of going back to stinkies.

My Mom is 72 but still very active. She keeps her house immaculate. Dad has a lot of back pain and can't be near as active so she gets bored sitting around the house. Since my son moved out I decided to move into his old bedroom. It's smaller but has an attached bath and I can close off almost half the house to lower heating and cooling bills. I asked my Mom if she'd like to help clean the carpet before I move into it. I soon saw my error...

She was here the next day when I got home from work. Carpet and walls clean, ceiling painted and half the wallpaper tore off the bathroom. I just wanted the carpet cleaned.

She wants to know if I would like her to paint... sure why not. "What color?" she asks. I tell her "Same as my living room, off-white to tan... somewhere in there." I come home to the most horrible shade of blue on my bathroom vanity and cabinets I've ever seen. I just wanted the carpet cleaned.

I tell her that's got to go, which hurts her feelings, but the next day she's stripped it all off and repainted it "Bone" Ok, good. Now she wants to go wallpaper shopping. I been on my feet 12 hours but sure, lets go wallpaper shopping. I pick out what I want. She heads off to find something else. We're in the store an hour or more after I've made my decision and she says "Well, which one?" I love my Mommy, but seriously... I just wanted the carpet cleaned.

Next day she's had my nephew over to take up the toilet because she's putting down new flooring. Ok, whatever. Got that picked out, just a small remnant, it's a small bathroom. When she got ready to lay it she cut it wrong. Now she's off to buy more. She buys the one she picked out instead of another piece of the same thing I picked out. Whatever. I just wanted the carpet cleaned.

Yesterday she decided the wallpaper didn't match the flooring she picked out so she went and got different wallpaper and had it up before I got home from work. I went from a tan/blue theme with stars and clouds to a tan/pink/peach theme with flowers and birds. I JUST WANTED MY CARPET CLEANED.

There's only been twice in my life I wanted an analog that much. The time I had been quit for 7 weeks and she rearranged all of my kitchen cabinets because she "thought my spices should be above my stove instead of next to it and my silverware should be next to the sink." and the time I had been off cigs for 6 weeks and she rearranged all of mine, my husbands and my sons clothes in our dressers and closets so they'd be 'more organized'.

I just want to cry. I only wanted her to help me clean the carpet.

But I passed the test... still smoke free. I just hope she doesn't decide anything else in my house needs redone.

Oh my lord! :lol: "But I only wanted the carpet clean!" :lol:

Congratulations on passing that test!! Kudos to you :toast: :vapor: :D

DingerCPA

Vaping Mistress
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2014
Corn 'n' Cows
Bless your heart! And thanks to your son (I'm presuming he's the Marine?) for his service :)

Hang in there - I'm sure Momma means well. These will be the stories you get to share with your grandkids, and you'll laugh hysterically, I'd bet. I do empathize with your frustration, tho'

(I lost my Mom 8 years ago, just 9 days shy of her 71st b'day - last 5 or 6 years were poor health due to Parkinson's)

Have a drink and a vape - things will get better!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread