Steeping and warm water? Tips on steeping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnnysb

Moved On
Sep 25, 2013
San Jose, CA
  • Deleted by classwife
  • Reason: Linkspammer

MadHacker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2013
Alberta, Canada
A lot? How much are we speaking about? How much are you holding?

how much is a lot.
I have 360ml with a no touch date until Nov 29 ( 2 months steep)
and 110ml until Nov 29 ( 1 months steep)
and 250ml with a no touch date of Dec 1 ( 1 month steep)
total 720ml steeping

and I have probably 400 - 500ml to vape from right now that is well steeped
not all of it what I like.

note: this is all for me and my wife...
and I imagine a few x-mas presents in the near future.

treehead

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2014
Anchorage, AK, USA
Somewhere on the forums a while back I read that putting the bottle of ejuice in warm water would quicken the steeping process. I am interested if anyone else has tried this or if anyone has any tricks they have found to speed the process along.

I hate waiting to try my juices... :p

I hear you sister, it feels like buying a new car and having to walk everywhere for a week. I've found with my juices (90% of them are Virgin Vapor, and the only ones that have that alcohol taste are the non-absolute line flavors which use ethyl alc. as a mixer) that putting them on my house's boiler (with the cap off *relax everyone it won't blow up lol*) about overnight or even 8 hours if your as antsy as I usually am does the trick. Like many have mentioned already I shake it really hard to where bubbles are present in the liquid, and leave it alone until those bubbles are gone (usually 1/2 an hour) and repeat. My theory is this works so well because obviously the heat helps the alcohol evaporate, the vigorous shaking allows those bubbles in the liquid to "gather" alcohol fumes and release them through the top, and above the boiler is also very dry (and some like my house even have a slight warm breeze coming from the bottom of the boiler). With this method I can actually smell the alcohol coming out sometimes, it will get stronger and then disappear, and you don't have to risk anything dangerous with boiling plastic bottles, or glass bottles shattering...mmm nicotine stew :facepalm:

(I really like the ashtray under the hot tap method, that's pretty ingenious :D)
I steep my DIY juices in, ironically, an ashtray. It has walls high enough to go about halfway up a 30ml bottle, with little cutouts along the edge to hold butts. I put this ashtray directly under a hot dribbling tap and put my bottles in it. I let it sit under the hot tap like this for about an hour, shaking them up every 15 minutes or so. The cutouts let the water dribble out the sides without the whole thing overflowing.

It definitely helps accelerate the steeping process, especially with tobacco flavors.

:vapor:Good luck everyone, and may you never have to wait!:vapor:

Jaysin

ECF Veteran
Dec 12, 2012
Clearwater, FL
I have a question as I am just starting to get into DIY. I know that boiling is bad because of the heat but would seem to be the best way to accelerate steeping without the heat. I also know that if you can reduce air pressure you also reduce the boiling point of liquid. I was wondering if anyone has ever tried to use or build a device that would possibly use a vacuum pump to reduce the air pressure enough that you could boil juice at room temperature. Would be awesome to steep juice where minutes = days!!!

Last edited:

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
I'm no chemist but this works for me.

1. Put DIY in capped glass bottle then put in a coffee cup, set the hot water faucet to a tiny stream and run in cup for about a hour. my hot water is around 130 degrees
2. I shake the bottle about 3-4 times during that time frame.
3. let set over night with cap off
4. next day I shake it good and boil some water, then pour in the coffee cup w/ bottle, leave there until it cools.
5. Shake bottle and repeat step 4 3-4 more times.
6. let steep in dark shelf for a week. Everything I vap is ok after a week. Maybe because the warming and cooling in the water breaks down the chemicals so they can bond together.

NOTE:
My Vanillia, strawberry, blueberry is ok to use in 2 days but my Tobacco takes at least the full week.

Last edited:

MadHacker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I took my last order, 480mls put it in a plastic bags, (well they were bagged already so I put them back in)
then put that in a bubble envelope, (I got one when they use to ship BX motherboards and its a nice thick plastic bubble envelope.)
then I put that in a ziplock back, put in in a cloth bag, then put in the dryer when my wife does laundry..
after 45 min in the dryer the bottles are warm 40degC or so,
they have been in the dryer now 5 or so times,
got them 9 days ago...

I figure in a week or so I'll enjoy some new flavors.

GPC2012

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2014
Reedley Ca
Here's the best way I have found. A word of caution, the plastic they make the bottles out of is called LDPE low density polyethylene. Depending on the manufacturer the melting point is between 230 & 250.

To heat or speed steep juice just follow these directions.

This is easy to do. get a bowl or other microwave safe container. Something you don't really need to put food in. The container needs to be deep enough to come up to the neck of the bottle. Set one of your largest bottles in the bowl and then fill it with dry rice just up to the neck of the bottle. Remove the bottle. Heat the dry rice in the microwave until it is about 200 f. DO NOT HEAT IT OVER 210 AT MOST. The plastic bottles are made of LDPE AND IT MELTS SOMEWHERE BETWEEN 230 AND 250 F. I use a probe thermometer to check it after I heat it. I have a 900watt microwave and it takes between 45 seconds to a minute to get the rice to temp. When the rice is hot remove the cap and drip tip from the bottle replace the screw cap it gives you a better way to hold onto it till it's down in the rice. Nestle it down into the rice up to the neck of the bottle. Remove the screw cap. Leave it until it is cooled to room temp. Takes around 2 to 4 hours. Recap the bottle and shake like crazy. remove the cap and squeeze the air out of the bottle re cap and shake again. It should be good to go, if not it might need a day or two more. I have only had one that wasn't good enough to vape the same day, but they will still gain a little more depth and nuance as they age a little more. I don't even cap my bottle for the first two weeks. if they last that long. if you have any questions let me know or PM me.

If your rice is too hot you get vape rice laced with melted plastic. Not so good.

Muggs

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 8, 2013
CT
www.advancesmart.com
Here is an easy and natural way to speed the steeping process along.

My quick steep technique is shake the fresh mixed bottle vigorously, unscrew the cap and slowly squeeze the bottle until the liquid just reaches the top then release doing this 3 times then shake for 15 seconds. I do the 3 times and shake 3 times a day. It's pushing the evaporated alcohol out of the bottle, bringing in fresh air in it's place then mixing the fresh air in by shaking and repeating. No boiling and 3 days isn't that long.

fraychek

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Orlando, FL
OK, I'm blushing while typing this but here goes.

If I've made juice and am going out, going to me needing the fresh juice at some point while I am out, I stick it down my bra and use my own body heat, no need to shake it or anything, my general moving around does that nicely, after an hour I take it out and stick it in my bag.
Done this a few times and the result is that it tastes like I made it a week earlier and it has been steeping on its own in the cupboard.

Please don't judge me (at least I found something that works in a rush)
So where do I put my cell phone, keys and license when I do this?

Last edited:

DarkfireAnn

Verified Member
May 29, 2014
Planet Earth
I have a 32oz bottle of vanilla bean ice cream 24mg & and a 16 oz bottle of USA methol 12mg coming in my vape mail from MBV tomorrow. It would fit.... they both might fit. I can hide a fifth in my bra and no one notices....but I think I'll try the water first. I am going to split off some bottles at 10ML and do various things to them....I will report back with pics and stuff er of some stuff lol.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
HEAT is one of the BEST ways to decrease the aging process on anything including ur DIY juice.

Think about it, what do they do to beer, wine, whiskey, food, sauces, etc?

They cook all of these things to decrease the aging process time, break down indgredients, and mix.

SO, heating your DIY juice will help the flavor and everything else break down and mix faster.

Now I have never actually cooked my juice, but a few post back(#206) I list what I do. I just use hot water.

now a jewelrys vibrating cleaner may be better, no idea don't have one. But those are not cheap and everyone can heat water.

Last edited:

MadHacker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2013
Alberta, Canada
HEAT is one of the BEST ways to decrease the aging process on anything including ur DIY juice.

Think about it, what do they do to beer, wine, whiskey, food, sauces, etc?

They cook all of these things to decrease the aging process time, break down indgredients, and mix.

SO, heating your DIY juice will help the flavor and everything else break down and mix faster.

Now I have never actually cooked my juice, but a few post back(#206) I list what I do. I just use hot water.

now a jewelrys vibrating cleaner may be better, no idea don't have one. But those are not cheap and everyone can heat water.
but does heat change the flavor at all?
I haven't had the opportunity to have 2 juices one slow steeped and one fast steeped with heat.
perhaps some DIYS'er can make a bottle of Juice, and let it sit for 2 weeks, then using the same recipe make some more juice and heat steep it, and compare and see if there is a difference.

in theory there might be, using your reference of food, i.e. sauce, take a tomatoes and cook them, they taste different then the original tomato.

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
but does heat change the flavor at all?
I haven't had the opportunity to have 2 juices one slow steeped and one fast steeped with heat.
perhaps some DIYS'er can make a bottle of Juice, and let it sit for 2 weeks, then using the same recipe make some more juice and heat steep it, and compare and see if there is a difference.

in theory there might be, using your reference of food, i.e. sauce, take a tomatoes and cook them, they taste different then the original tomato.

I was using cooking beer, wine, food, sauces, etc. as a comparision on how heat breaks down ingrediances and mixes. I never said to actually cook ur DIY. I don't think you got the meaning of what I said. I said," Now I have never actually cooked my juice, but a few post back(#206) I list what I do. I just use hot water "

So if you go to my post 206 and read it you may better understand. And yes, I have done it both ways and I can't tell the differance.

MadHacker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I was using cooking beer, wine, food, sauces, etc. as a comparision on how heat breaks down ingrediances and mixes. I never said to actually cook ur DIY. I don't think you got the meaning of what I said. I said," Now I have never actually cooked my juice, but a few post back(#206) I list what I do. I just use hot water "

So if you go to my post 206 and read it you may better understand. And yes, I have done it both ways and I can't tell the differance.
I didn't mean on cooking your eJuice, but was wondering if heat affected flavor in any way.
only used the reference of cooking tomatoes as an over exaggerated reference.

I heat my juice in the dryer, so it gets tumbled as well so its shaken, it takes 30 min in the dryer to get it warm. so many layers for the heat to go through.
and after 30 min its 35-40 deg C (estimated)

charly1954

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2013
Logan, Indiana
I didn't mean on cooking your eJuice, but was wondering if heat affected flavor in any way.
only used the reference of cooking tomatoes as an over exaggerated reference.

I heat my juice in the dryer, so it gets tumbled as well so its shaken, it takes 30 min in the dryer to get it warm. so many layers for the heat to go through.
and after 30 min its 35-40 deg C (estimated)

I'm cheap I wouldn't want to waste the gas running a dryer. Also if you don't have wet cloths to put in the dryer, most dryers will not heat up to hot. Maybe thats why its taking 30 minutes to heat up. Now the bouncing around I can see helping it mix.

MadHacker

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2013
Alberta, Canada
I'm cheap I wouldn't want to waste the gas running a dryer. Also if you don't have wet cloths to put in the dryer, most dryers will not heat up to hot. Maybe thats why its taking 30 minutes to heat up. Now the bouncing around I can see helping it mix.

well the dryer is running anyways, Wife doing laundry ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread