*Steeping Methods* Instant/Long Term

Status
Not open for further replies.

xMackx

ECF Veteran
Oct 3, 2012
Michigan
This is a thread all about steeping juices and the methods involved. There are two categories in which steeping will be discussed, instant and long term.

1. Describe any methods you use to "speed steep" your juices, like heat or oxidation.

2. Describe any methods you use when steeping long term (aging over time).

3. You may be juice flavor specific as some juices don't need steeping, or prefer a certain method for best results.

I have found nothing can replace the time involved in aging, but some methods can speed up the process.

One method that seems to work well in accelerating steep time is "seed steeping". Where you take a small amount of already aged/steeped juice and mix it into a fresh batch.

Another method I found is heating a tightly closed bottle under hot tap water. Then shaking vigorously, leave nozzle and cap off for a couple hours at room temperature.

I've just been leaving bottles open on my desk when I go to work, testing in a stardust, and repeating as necessary. This helped even out a flavor on something that was just way too sharp the first time i tried it. Took about a week before it got to a point I could actually vape it semi-regularly.

Tried the hot water thing a few days ago and had meh results after about 10 minutes under water, and 2 hours open.

MattBott

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
After I mix a juice, I will generally put it in a hot water bath (just enough hot water in a plastic storage container for the bottle to sit up right) without the cap on. This especially helps take the edge off of flavorings with alcohol in them.

If I remember, I'll take the bottle out, out a finger over the top and shake it every now and then.

When the water is cool to the touch, I'll take the bottles up and nuke the water for a min or two until it is hot again, and repeat. Maybe 2 - 3 times the first evening, then let them sit without the cap overnight.

Last edited:

napdog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 5, 2011
Kansas City, Mo
After I mix a juice, I will generally put it in a hot water bath (just enough hot water in a plastic storage container for the bottle to sit up right) without the cap on. This especially helps take the edge off of flavorings with alcohol in them.

If I remember, I'll take the bottle out, out a finger over the top and shake it every now and then.

When the water is cool to the touch, I'll take the bottles up and nuke the water for a min or two until it is hot again, and repeat. Maybe 2 - 3 times the first evening, then let them sit without the cap overnight.
I also seem to have success with this method

zengargoyle

Verified Member
Aug 13, 2012
Los Angeles
ultrasonic jewelry cleaner w/heat option... perfect blend of physics and chemistry combined... ultrasonic vibrations shake the juice at a level of which we could never do by hand... and heat aids in getting the molecules moving around constantly... all that constant moving makes steeping a whole lot faster... :D

I've been thinking of trying this. Mine has no heat option, but guess hot water would do (and it tends to at least warm up water after a few cycles anyway).

I often use my rice cooker... (don't laugh). I have a fancy one that can keep rice hot and edible for 20 hours or so, and when I have some rice keeping warm and some juice just mixed, I just plop the bottles down in the rice for 10 minutes or so. It's also great for warming up the VG so it's easier to work with. I've thought about getting some 15 or 30ml centrifuge tubes with the round pointy ends and trying to use a palm sander to get a good strong vibration mixing action going on. Nah, probably just stick to shaking like crazy. :)

Vappa

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2012
Netherlands
1. Speed steep:
Mix my juice, shake it, put warm water in my Ultrasonic cleaner, put bottles in, set timer for 30 minutes and fire it up. After 30 minutes set timer again for 30 minutes and again fire it up. Take bottles out and dry them, shake, take caps off and leave it for 24 hours (don't know whether this really helps but anyway). After that it's happy vaping time.
This method of 1 hour ultrasonic steeping is comparable to 2 weeks of normal steeping.

2. Long term steeping:
Same as above, but instead of the ultrasonic i use the already mentioned hot bath-and-shake method (just one time) and then let the bottles rest for at least 2 weeks.
The result is the same as method 1, but takes 13 days more to get there.

3. Which juices and which not:
Typically tobacco juices and complex mixes (two or more flavors mixed) benefit most from steeping IMHO. Fruity ones not so much. But with the ultrasonic method, heck i just put both types in it.

NatTheBrit

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
UK
www.vapetoriousuk.com
1. Speed steep:
Mix my juice, shake it, put warm water in my Ultrasonic cleaner, put bottles in, set timer for 30 minutes and fire it up. After 30 minutes set timer again for 30 minutes and again fire it up. Take bottles out and dry them, shake, take caps off and leave it for 24 hours (don't know whether this really helps but anyway). After that it's happy vaping time.
This method of 1 hour ultrasonic steeping is comparable to 2 weeks of normal steeping.

WOW Vappa just wow..i am really going to have to buy one of these. I am trying out a lot of new flavors right now and i'm getting soooo frustrated at having to wait for them to steep. I am big on Bakery/Dessert juices and these are hard to get any real flavors out of when first mixing and i certainly don't have any patience when it comes to waiting for them to steep for a week-i find myself sniffing them everyday and willing them on to steep quicker hehe!!
So i'm definitely going to purchase an Utrasonic cleaner and if it works i will be the happiest girl in the world!!

DigiManTX

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
TX
WOW Vappa just wow..i am really going to have to buy one of these. I am trying out a lot of new flavors right now and i'm getting soooo frustrated at having to wait for them to steep. I am big on Bakery/Dessert juices and these are hard to get any real flavors out of when first mixing and i certainly don't have any patience when it comes to waiting for them to steep for a week-i find myself sniffing them everyday and willing them on to steep quicker hehe!!
So i'm definitely going to purchase an Utrasonic cleaner and if it works i will be the happiest girl in the world!!

there are quite a few of us here that can vouch that it DOES work... :D

Vappa

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2012
Netherlands
1. Speed steep:

Trust me, it works :)

Vappa

ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2012
Netherlands
Ive taken the top cap off my juice and microwaved it on high for 6 seconds....I wouldnt go any longer than that in a plastic bottle because you could melt it. Instant steep.

heating <> steeping, it's just part of it... IMO a nuke doesn't do the job. Also be careful not to burn the juice by nuking it. It gets very hot after a short time already. I experienced the same when using too hot water to put the bottles in (once i boiled it in a pan and put the bottles in there for 30 minutes, that was one of my first attempts to speed up the steeping. Obviously that didn't work...).

NatTheBrit

Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
UK
www.vapetoriousuk.com
Thanks guys, i mean it. You don't how much easier and more pleasurable this will make my DIY experience :)

Also in regards to nuking the juices in the microwave...don't like the idea of doing it directly as i've heard that when VG gets boiled it's not good to inhale(?). I have been putting a small plastic container in the micro 1/2 full with water, nuking that and then putting the bottles in the container. It helps, but i still have to let it steep for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread