Stepping up from Ego...

Status
Not open for further replies.

matthawk7

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Columbia, SC
So I'm thinking of getting an Icon but I'd like to know if there's any real difference between it and my current Ego. Both are 3.7v devices, correct? I know the icon itself is worlds apart in build quality, but as far as vaping experience are they the same? I'd like a bit more power, but I really don't like LR attys...way too hot. Thanks for any input!
M

sadtranz

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2009
Ashford Kent
As you said 3.7v is 3.7v so yes will all be the same, i find l/r atty's far superior ie better throat hit + more vapour but you have to keep them well juiced so don't run hot drip tip is way to go
Other than that you could go for a V3 and use 6v with h/v atty which will run cooler but be aware stacked batteries don't last as long as single cells

Last edited:

bearscreek

ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2009
TN
Jumpin' in late, but I guess in your case the only real advantage to getting the Icon might be battery availability down the road in case of some sort of ban and it being harder to get eGo batteries. Maybe also the fact that, after the initial expense of the Icon, the Icon batteries themselves are cheaper than eGo batteries. As far as your questions about actual vaping, I'd say they're basically the same.

Zen~

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2010
Spencerport, NY
Wow, I'm not so sure the vaping experience will be the same from an eGo to an Icon...

I have a Protoge' and a couple eGo's and the Protoge' vapes stronger... and there's a reason for it... the design of the Protoge delivers more current to the atomizer because there's less loss in the switch and there's no electronics like cutoffs to get in the way of the current delivery... the difference may be subtle, but it's absolutely there. When you consider the wire gauge difference, (equivalence, of course) and the simpler design, an all solid mod simply does a better job, in my opinion. When I build a box mod, I use 12 Gauge solid wire for that very reason... more current delivery = better, more consistent vaping.

I have no reason to think the icon would be any less of a difference.

sadtranz

ECF Veteran
Jul 20, 2009
Ashford Kent
If you don't like l/r why do you want more power? L/r will give you exactly what you want best with high drain like AW
l/r is equivalent to 5v which is ideal
as i stated previously only other way is 6v+ with h/v atty which to me is pointless
own various mods and output is all the same batteries seem to have more say than the actual mod
ps all my mods are mechanical

matthawk7

ECF Veteran
Aug 7, 2010
Columbia, SC
If you don't like l/r why do you want more power?

This is a little late...
I don't like how hot the 1.5ohm attys I have are. They produce great vapor, but my tongue fees burned after a few hours (or even minutes). I'm now using some rated at 2.0 ohms and may try to find some @ 1.7 (can't seem to find these). Maybe the term "more power" wasn't quite right.

Another member suggested that the ego is really only at 3.7 for a few minutes (if that) and goes steadily down afterward while a true 3.7 would be more consistent. This sounds accurate to me.

Richie G

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 15, 2009
Lawn Guyland, NY
When I build a box mod, I use 12 Gauge solid wire for that very reason... more current delivery = better, more consistent vaping.

You're correct in theory, Zen. But, 12 gauge wire is WAY over the top. (and you're adding work and making your builds harder by using solid wire as stranded wire is a better conductor as well, in theory)

#12 wire will carry 20 amps based upon wires in a conduit, 30+ in free air. There isn't an atomizer out there that will get anywhere near that -- and we'd be collectively NUTS to place that kind of amperage in our mouths anyway. LOL

Given the start-up surge of a 2 amp atty drain, there's no reason to go any larger than, say, #18 wire in our mods... and THAT's overkill.

Drozd

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Nov 7, 2009
NW Ohio
first... the eGo/riva/510 stock batteries are actually more 3.2V so you'll see a difference running a 3.7V device..
add to that the icon is all mechanical is it not? so the whole wire argument thing is kinda moot...
then if you actually run a High drain battery that can actually deliver the Amps that a lower Ohm atty wants... you'll see a world of difference

luv2vape

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 16, 2010
missouri usa
i use to use ego also and am now currently using icon with high drain batteries with 2.0 atty or cartos. beleive me this is the setup.i went through alot of 25 ego batteries, one because there junk and the lr atty sucks the life right out of them. high drains can keep up with the demands of lr.trust me i went through all the big mods this is it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread