• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Stick vs 510??

Status
Not open for further replies.

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
Yes; I'm still on the fence, but after the past few days, I'm thinking I'm ready for a stick.

We've been in Chicago since Monday. I packed along 3 - 510 batteries and my trusty PCC. No real problems, except I always seemed to have to either top off or switch batteries at the worst times.
On the double decker tour bus, I pulled it out a couple times, cupped my hand over it and either held or exhaled into/down the brochure. It was at that point, I realized that having a stick at that point would have been a good deal. Wouldn't look soo much like an analog, and the longer battery life, and from what I understand, the bigger cart would have been Heaven LOL.

I know Vicks has a stick, but I don't think she also has a 510, which I am currently dating (we are still at the lust, but comfy stage - love would be bigger cart and longer battery life, but all relationships have bumps & with the PCC, is tolorable! LOL).

So, I guess my question is: Has anyone tried both the 510 & the stick?

And if I do order the stick, even though they are under a great warrentee, I'd still order another atty.
What is the generic atty & cart part? I'd still like to support my personal fave supplier when I can.

Just trying to get all my ducks in a row. And the more I think, and now write, about it, the more I think this would keep me comfy and happy until the next mouse trap is released. There are times and places for both units in my life.

I will say this much: the apt is on the 29th floor. It was sooo totally awesome to be able to unpack that apt and take a hit off my 510 when ever I wanted!

C-kool Dad '09

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Brookfield, WI - USA
My first ever unit was/is the 510 and so happy it worked out this way as you know it is an excellent unit. I've had the Stick for about 2 months now and it IS the primary unit. Think it uses the 801 atty with adapters coming for others attys including the 510. The Stick has more vapor, more battery life and more juice capacity than the 510. The Stick is probably better than the Screwdriver at half the price. Of note - the Stick has a battery that is 'separate' from the switch so the batteries are cheaper ($3.00?). It has a large LED indicator in the front (that the user can actually see) that starts out blue (safe to vape) and changes to red (about 10 sec) indicating time to let up. It will FLASH red when the battery is exhusted. It comes with a usb cord that connects to the side of the unit (built-in) and a computer for charging and vaping. The Stick is IT!

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
It has a large LED indicator in the front (that the user can actually see) that starts out blue (safe to vape) and changes to red (about 10 sec) indicating time to let up. It will FLASH red when the battery is exhusted. It comes with a usb cord that connects to the side of the unit (built-in) and a computer for charging and vaping. The Stick is IT!
Too funny mentioning a LED that the user can actually see! I have a pair of sunglasses that are just the right tint that I can't see the glare of the LED against my hand! I have to actually flip them up, then look at the hand in front of the LED to know what it's doing! Too many steps! LOL

You just touched on a few other questions I had, but forgot to ask! LOL

1a) The light turning red - is that just mostly a warning sign for the user so you don't run the risk of burning out the atty? I'm soo hooked on manual bats now. It's not often I take that long of a drag, but when I want to, well, that's why I moved from 910 to 510! LOL

1b)And just so I'm clear, when the LED flashes red, that's dead battery time, right? (like I really need to know that before I buy it; sheesh)

2)The USB cord - so, it's basically doing everything - battery charging and being a passthrough in one unit, right? That's cool since I already have my Coby USB adaptor that I'm using for my 510 PT + I have a USB adaptor for the car!

3)Has anyone checked to see if the replacement bats are available at like "Batteries Plus", or are they only available through Janty?
==============================

My additional thinking is when I'm traveling around, the stick would take up less space in my lil carry around purse than the components I have with the 510.
Yah; yah; I know the 510 + PCC + small juice doesn't take up much room, but when out being touristy, I use a very tiny purse thingy that goes in my messenger bag & stick + juice is even less room. Since I don't need batteries as often, they can go in the main bag with the rest of the batteries.

......it's a girl thang =)

BTW; thank you so much for all your insight! You are making this decision easier.....although not on the pocket book! LOL

C-kool Dad '09

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Brookfield, WI - USA
Too funny mentioning a LED that the user can actually see! I have a pair of sunglasses that are just the right tint that I can't see the glare of the LED against my hand! I have to actually flip them up, then look at the hand in front of the LED to know what it's doing! Too many steps! LOL

You just touched on a few other questions I had, but forgot to ask! LOL

1a) The light turning red - is that just mostly a warning sign for the user so you don't run the risk of burning out the atty? I'm soo hooked on manual bats now. It's not often I take that long of a drag, but when I want to, well, that's why I moved from 910 to 510! LOL

1b)And just so I'm clear, when the LED flashes red, that's dead battery time, right? (like I really need to know that before I buy it; sheesh)

2)The USB cord - so, it's basically doing everything - battery charging and being a passthrough in one unit, right? That's cool since I already have my Coby USB adaptor that I'm using for my 510 PT + I have a USB adaptor for the car!

3)Has anyone checked to see if the replacement bats are available at like "Batteries Plus", or are they only available through Janty?
==============================

My additional thinking is when I'm traveling around, the stick would take up less space in my lil carry around purse than the components I have with the 510.
Yah; yah; I know the 510 + PCC + small juice doesn't take up much room, but when out being touristy, I use a very tiny purse thingy that goes in my messenger bag & stick + juice is even less room. Since I don't need batteries as often, they can go in the main bag with the rest of the batteries.

......it's a girl thang =)

BTW; thank you so much for all your insight! You are making this decision easier.....although not on the pocket book! LOL
1a: As I recall (can't find the manual right now) the red light indicates the unit will shut itself off soon - I haven't had any atty issues.
1b: (why not just 2?) Battery is DEAD / needs recharging, or if you have another battery put it in.
2: (that's more like it) USB does it ALL and no extra cost.
3: These batteries look just like AAA but are not. Get from Janty USA.

Yeah, I am originally from Chicago. Moved to WI in 1977 so I'm NOT a "FIB" or for that matter a "FISH" anymore (ask Vicks PM what this means). I would never go back to Chi-Town (too big/busy). You have AMTRACK so that should help with commutes.:rolleyes:

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
1a: As I recall (can't find the manual right now) the red light indicates the unit will shut itself off soon - I haven't had any atty issues.
1b: (why not just 2?) Battery is DEAD / needs recharging, or if you have another battery put it in.
2: (that's more like it) USB does it ALL and no extra cost.
3: These batteries look just like AAA but are not. Get from Janty USA.

Yeah, I am originally from Chicago. Moved to WI in 1977 so I'm NOT a "FIB" or for that matter a "FISH" anymore (ask Vicks PM what this means). I would never go back to Chi-Town (too big/busy). You have AMTRACK so that should help with commutes.:rolleyes:

1b: Because it was still on the battery issue, but it was a different question
2: you know WI: if it's free, it's for me! LOL
3: THX! I knew they weren't AAA, but wasn't sure if it was something we could pick up at Bat+ if we were in a pinch. I'll be sure to add a spare bat to the cart too! LOL
===========================================
Hubby is from around Janesville & since we're over 40, I learned from tales of his teens all about FIBs & FISH LOL

Amtrak is sweet, especially since we just have to drive down to STU, but at a little over $80 RT for the girls and I, well, that would have paid for my Stick! LOL
I was told about driving down to Kenosha and taking the Metra for a lot less and when I discovered Ogilvie is right around the corner from his apt - less than a block even, well, maybe driving to Kenosha won't be so bad LOL. When it comes just us girls, we have more time than money, so that may be the route we're taking.
Right now it's all new and adventurous to us. I'm sure by the time school starts, and when all the employees HAVE to work full time down there, we won't be making as many trips.
Funny thing is when we were going through the Museum Campus, I looked at one child and said "do you realize we've seen more of Chicago than we've ever seen of Milwaukee?" (I've only been here 11 years). Maybe we should start exploring our own backyard ......but isn't that how it always goes! LOL

harmony gardens

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Wisconsin
Good to read your reviews, C Kool dad!!

I've been using my 401 the most lately. I like dipping into a contact case when I'm sitting at the puter, and doing studio work. The batteries last like 3 hours on a charge,,, and the next one is always set to go when it dies.

MlrGrl,,, how are you getting along with your 510 PCC??? I remember you had some issues with the bat length. I've been using my 510 when I want a monster hit, so I've decided to keep it, but I think I'm gonna pass on the PCC, and looking for a mod myself.

The Stick is definately tempting. I wish they had a regular 901 version, without needing an adapter. I have a stock of 901 attys, because I still like the 901 for the flavor, but I guess I can get some 801's,,, do you guys think it's worth getting a 901 adapter?

Kooldad,,, are you still using that pipe?? I'm still vaping grape,,, lol

Last edited:

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
MlrGrl,,, how are you getting along with your 510 PCC??? I remember you had some issues with the bat length. I've been using my 510 when I want a monster hit, so I've decided to keep it, but I think I'm gonna pass on the PCC, and looking for a mod myself.
I was able to get that one working ok with a felt filler in it and with that never had another problem. I recently had a credit at Cigtechs, so I got a spare PCC and what do you know - the battery fits in that one perfectly! No need for a felt filler at the top!
I've been away from home this week, I took it along with 3 batteries (afraid one would die LOL) and it kept me happy and charged! LOL

........,,, do you guys think it's worth getting a 901 adapter?........
Like you, I seem to taste the liquid better on the 901. Since I have so many attys from when I started, I'm planning on getting an adaptor down the road. Luckily, they don't have them in stock right now, so I have time to save up for it LOL
I figure I should be just fine with the starter stick kit + extra bat + extra atty. Worse case, I have my trusty 510! LOL

Vicks Vap-oh-Yeah

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 9, 2009
West Allis, WI
www.emeraldvapers.com
OK, OK....I'm gonna get off the dime and try the 901 adapter on the prod tonight...will post my initial impressions...but keep in mind I'm 801 atty accustomed so it'll 'flavor' my impressions, I'm sure.

I did like the 901 attys on the SD when I had that (the brief amount of time it wasn't travelling lol) so we'll give 5volts a shot on the 901 attys.

I DO still love my stick, and don't have any problems recommending it as a buy for anyone thinking about it (you're welcome Ludo, and I'll take my commission check now lol).. and no - I don't have the 901 adapter for it yet (had to have the prod - hehehe).

more to come later, guys...

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
OK, OK....I'm gonna get off the dime and try the 901 adapter on the prod tonight...will post my initial impressions...but keep in mind I'm 801 atty accustomed so it'll 'flavor' my impressions, I'm sure.

I did like the 901 attys on the SD when I had that (the brief amount of time it wasn't travelling lol) so we'll give 5volts a shot on the 901 attys.

I DO still love my stick, and don't have any problems recommending it as a buy for anyone thinking about it (you're welcome Ludo, and I'll take my commission check now lol).. and no - I don't have the 901 adapter for it yet (had to have the prod - hehehe).

more to come later, guys...

Can't wait to hear how the 901 goes!

Thx again for the recommendation on the Stick. I slinked down stairs last night and asked hubby for a few dollars so I can get the stick sooner than later. After our adventures this week, he asked if we could wait just a little bit -- besides, did I really need another device? Well, once I get this, all I should be needing is juice and spending will go down dramatically (who says this is saving me money?? LOL).
Then I had to remind him it's time to make the bi-yearly martial arts payment....followed by a chuckle "$50 doesn't sound like too much now, does it?" LOL Luckily, I don't think I need that much, so he'll be pleasantly (?) surprised when I tell him I need less than $50....
"We have to spend money, to save money!" LOL

C-kool Dad '09

ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Brookfield, WI - USA
Good to read your reviews, C Kool dad!!

I've been using my 401 the most lately. I like dipping into a contact case when I'm sitting at the puter, and doing studio work. The batteries last like 3 hours on a charge,,, and the next one is always set to go when it dies.

The Stick is definately tempting. I wish they had a regular 901 version, without needing an adapter. I have a stock of 901 attys, because I still like the 901 for the flavor, but I guess I can get some 801's,,, do you guys think it's worth getting a 901 adapter?

Kooldad,,, are you still using that pipe?? I'm still vaping grape,,, lol
The Pipe never really worked out / bad, hard draw (needs a manual switch). GRAPE Yaaach!!!8-o

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
I just realized I never did come back and say what I did! LOL

I did order the stick and I've been using it now for about 2 weeks and a couple days. WOW! Seems like it's been longer than that....

Love it! It ranks right up there with the 510.
Mind you, having only used a 901 & the beloved 510, when I saw the cart size, my first thought was "OMG! it holds HOW much liquid???" LOL Yes; I've seen Vick's, but it really didn't hit me.

The little case that comes with it is truly neat. At a quick glance, it actually looks like a small cell phone!
While at the fair this week, I just clipped it to the top of my shorts, and I'd just slip it out when ever I wanted to take a puff or three. Since it doesn't look like an analog in any way, no one ever gave me a second thought. Probably thought it was some kind of inhaler or something LOL

The draw is different than the 510, and there was a slight learning curve getting use to a new model (well, at least for me LOL), but given the cart size and battery life, I was bound to get use to it and I have!

If I had to find a drawback, I'd pick two:
First, of course, is the battery cover. But, in all honesty, with it being such a compact unit, I don't see anything else they could do about it. So, knowing the situation with it, I'm overly conscience when ever I find myself in a position to change out the battery (like all day at the fair), and had everyone on guard to do the 'contact search' on their hands and knees in the event it got loose from me.
OH! here's a tip: For years, I've had a little disk that has tabs around it to act as a little screwdriver on my keychain. That came in handy to use. I got mine at Sears, years ago & I think I've noticed them in a box on the counter where you check out.

Second - since I'm so use to using a PCC, it would be kind of neat if there was some sort of a PCC unit for the battery. Yes, the battery has a huge life span, especially if you are use to the 510, but when I was out all day, it would have been nice to not have to carry so many spare batteries with me. I really should time out how long the battery lasts, so I can better guesstimate how many I'd need (I only changed the battery once while at the fair, and I was away from home from about 9am-11pm).

Harmony - when the time comes, I'd definately recommend the JS. It pairs up quite nicely with the 510, which I still love and use when out for the evening with the girls and don't want too look like I'm sucking my thumb and blowing out smoke LOL

Last edited:

harmony gardens

ECF Veteran
Apr 9, 2009
Wisconsin
The Pipe never really worked out / bad, hard draw (needs a manual switch). GRAPE Yaaach!!!8-o

You know, a manual switch pipe could be a hit,,, GRAPE yaaaah!! lol

mlr grl,, you won't believe this, but I ended up picking up another 510,,, I guess I like it,,, lol. Good Prophets had them for $42 with a case,,, (not PCC though) for $42,,, so now I have some parts. Guess I'll have to spring for a PCC now, too.

Kind of put the Stick on the back burner,,, I blew the budget for the month,,, lol.

MlrGrl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 27, 2009
Milwaukee, WI
mlr grl,, you won't believe this, but I ended up picking up another 510,,, I guess I like it,,, lol. Good Prophets had them for $42 with a case,,, (not PCC though) for $42,,, so now I have some parts. Guess I'll have to spring for a PCC now, too.

Kind of put the Stick on the back burner,,, I blew the budget for the month,,, lol.

Can't blame you there; that's a great price!
Seriously - if you leave the house, you need to get the PCC. You'll wonder how you ever lived without it!
That will be next month's purchase, right??

LOL -- good thing these things are saving us money, right?? ;)

Actually, we are, if you think about it. I've been trying to limit myself to still spending only about $20 a week on some kind of e-treat & it's still like I'm getting a $30 raise a week! (girl logic - I can spend money, and I'm still getting more money back! LOL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread