• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Still crave cigarettes after nearly 2 years with none

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmitch86

May 11, 2014
charlotte,nc
Yep you heard it. I still struggle with wanting to buy cigs when Im in the gas station. I still want to smoke cigs. I know they stink. I know theyre horrible for me. I love vaping and most everything that has came with the vaping life style. I dont know that I will ever completely not want to smoke a cig. I hope so but I just dont know...

Dougiestyle

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
Knoxville, TN USA
Bum a smoke from somebody. You'll hate it. It will reinforce your positive decision to switch to e-cigs, or you may be too weak to give them up. The feat of quitting stinkies isn't for everyone. I assure you, I hope you can get past this.

Do you think there is something about smoking that is more fulfilling? Please define what that is, and I'm sure there is a suggestion to accomodate the missing link. Anything but the combustion, tar and carcinogens, at least. If that's what you're after, you're skrewd with e-cigs.

Best of luck with your struggle!

Racehorse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 12, 2012
USA midwest
It's just in your head. It's the fact that you feel you are "denying" yourself something.

You're not. :)

Cigs weren't your friend, your vape is ....... the few times I thoguht about smoking again after 2 years, I thought about the whole thing of being "on" them again, how smelly and awful and the combustion and tar and poison.......and just realized there is NO WAY I would ever choose to go back to that *LIFESTYLE*.

Because it is a lifestyle.....its not just about the "cigarette" itself. For me, smoking is like returning to a descent into a deep dark hole that is slimy and dark and not anyplace I want to be ever again.

If you do bum one (DO NOT BUY A PACK!) you will probably be disgusted.

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
Mitch, I do understand. I've been off of cigarettes for 4 years and 7 months. I smoked for 42 years, and was up to 2 packs & some over.....1/4 pack or 1/2 pack a day. I knew I was on my way to dying from lung cancer like my mom. Every time I turned around, I was coughing up a lung.:ohmy: I still wheeze a little from time to time, but thanks to my mom and her prayers, I'm tobacco free! It wasn't as easy for me as some say at the beginning, but after 3 days, I put them down. The juice I had picked out was awful. Vaping and smoking are not the same. You pick one up and smoke it until it's time put out. The other, you pick up and take e-tokes and put down until you want another one. One has 7,000 carcinogens, the other doesn't. Maybe you need to up your nicotine level? Or maybe you need a stronger system. Just a thought.

You are an adult. You have free will to choose either one you want.....just as we all do. I hope you opt to vape. I won't hold it against you if you don't, and won't judge you if you do. TV has it on all the time again, and it does look rather cool. But in real life, I just don't want that heavy smoke in my lungs anymore. Yes, I have a few weak moments, but I say out loud, "I choose NOT to smoke!":)

VapieDan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2013
Flint, Michigan, United States
Yep you heard it. I still struggle with wanting to buy cigs when Im in the gas station. I still want to smoke cigs. I know they stink. I know theyre horrible for me. I love vaping and most everything that has came with the vaping life style. I dont know that I will ever completely not want to smoke a cig. I hope so but I just dont know...

Perhaps it was two years or more after I quit every time I went to a checkout with a cigarette display I had the overwhelming urge to buy a pack out of habit. It took a long time to pass. More the habit of the purchase I guess. Now I find the new packs interesting. So many different packages which I am sure contain the same stinky weed.

freeatlast!

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2013
Kansas, USA
kestra.zenfolio.com
I'm cigarette free for almost 1 1/2 yrs. The first year was pretty easy - I was SO thrilled to have quit!! I still am thrilled - and so thankful - but it's odd, I've had more cravings this 2nd year than I had the whole first year. I would LOVE to be able to just smoke one cig now and then! But I truly fear that I'd find it much too easy to redevelop the smoking habit. MUST REMEMBER how ENSLAVED I felt, not being able to quit, or even cut down without struggling hard, even though I knew after 47 yrs., those smokes were hurting me....It was such a huge blessing to become "freeatlast"!!

Long time smokers who have been quit for years and years say they still get cravings. My husband's been a nonsmoker for about 12-13 years now (he got lung cancer), and still, every now and then after dinner, he'll say jokingly "Let's have a cigarette!" These days I tell him, if there was a cigarette in the house, I'd smoke it. :ohmy:

Jmitch86, hang in there, be strong. We know that quitting cigs was probably the best thing we've ever done.

Deeo

ECF Veteran
Mar 19, 2013
Ontario, Canada
I think for some of us the cravings never go away for good. From time to time they pop up. The trick is to step on it's rearing head. Remind yourself of why you started vaping I the first place. It works everytime for me. It is up to you with what you choose but I can tell you one thing, if you light up and are hooked again, you will be back. :vapor:

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
like any addiction....does it ever really go away?
I don't miss smoking, i hated cigs to begin with....never liked tobacco, i as a clove smoker and that's what I really miss.....but when I get stressed yes the urge is there....when i'm in pain the urge is there....but i vape on and i up my nic levels for these times......
but yes as others suggested.....in your mind the addiction says, oh don't you remember how good it was....but in reality, they are so nasty......

eat some chocolate and up your nic :D and breath deeply just because you can now that you're not smoking :D

Saintscruiser

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 24, 2010
Mississippi
I will tell my story.....short version. As a Christian, I knew that the Lord didn't want me to smoke. (I am only speaking for me....no one else.) I wasn't about to defend myself. I couldn't. So I never asked to be forgiven. God knows me. I'd gotten out of control. I've left the carpet burns by my side of the bed. It was a miracle that we all didn't wake up as crispy critters. So, after 42 years, I finally asked God for help.

I was looking for a solution to help me cut down. I loved my cigarettes. They were a large part of my life. Everyone knew that..... including my doctor and dentist! They couldn't believe I had put them down. I waited 2 weeks before I told anyone. This website helped me...a lot! I put cigarettes down and thought that if I was down to 2 cigs a day, I'd quit. My third day, I smoked 2 cigarettes and that was when I put them down. I'm not going to tell you it was soooo easy, because I felt like I'd lost my best friend and even grieved over it. And then God showed me that what I called a best friend, was trying to kill me....the slow way! That's when I noticed how many people were smoking on tv....movies.....and they really looked good. That's when I would use my phrase of I CHOOSE NOT TO SMOKE because the choice was mine. I had control. And I still have control!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread