• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Stink Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

topdown67

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2010
North Carolina
They have been confirmed in these states so far: Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Delaware, Connecticut, New York, Maryland, West Virginia, Virginia, and Oregon. But I have also heard Florida and California. PA is infested more than most, though...since it started in Allentown supposedly about 15 years ago. This year was the first time farmers reported significant damage to crops, so the story is getting much more attention now.

No natural predators in the US....so likely to be nationwide in a decade or so.

We've got them in NC and I've seen em in SC also - what a nuisance!

AaronB

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2010
Bernville Pennsylvania
I'm not kidding we must have seen hundreds of these all over the house a little while ago. The weather got a little colder and they disapeared, warmed up and there back in mass again! We like our windows open when the weather is in the 70's but with four kids putting holes in many of our screens we've had to keep them closed. I go out to leave the dogs out..... stink bugs. I go into my car I see stink bugs..... I take the trash to the curb....... stink bugs. Get the mail..........Stink bugs, these things are EVERYWHERE! Though I must say I would rather have these than bedbugs like many apartments, hotels and homes are experiencing throughout the country.

maxx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
PA, USA
www.omnimaxx.com
We should be nearing the end as the weather turns cooler....but what a nightmare this year was. I finally settled on duct taping any windows without a perfect seal and a massive chemical assault on the door frames where they lurk. Got desperate and even tried using a strong DEET-based bug repellent. Seemed to have some affect, but not long lasting. Going to try a stronger DEET concentration next year as the store only had OFF in 30% concentrations.

I was fanatical about stopping or killing these things this year and feel pretty good that I got all of the ones that did get past me originally. Just one more set of curtains to take down and check. They hide in the folds. I pity the folks who didn't make an effort. They will have the things buzzing around their Thanksgiving turkey and Christmas tree when they fire up their furnaces and the dumb things think it is spring. Don't forget to empty those sweepers and shopvacs when the siege officially ends. ;)

And I agree....still better than bedbugs. I think I would just move if that happened to me also....LOL. My niece runs an apartment building in Chicago and there is great fear in that city that what is happening in New York City and East Coast, will be happening there soon. Not just nuisance...but infestation.

maxx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
PA, USA
www.omnimaxx.com
I think it's over now....least til next year when it is expected to be even worse. Cold nights, lukewarm days and I haven't seen more than a few on the porch. Barring a big warmup, I think I can start pulling duct tape now. Between tape and poisons, the things cost me about $50 this year...and countless hours of aggravation.

Lots of farmers say they took a hit in their orchards. This time of year I hit a local farm for apples and apple cider...and hope the prices didn't go through the roof due to bug damage.

phorbin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 10, 2010
Gamehendge
I've had it up to here (reaching over my head) with stink bugs! They are just EVERYWHERE here in the Lancaster area. Inside, outside. Nasty. Last year when it got cold and I got my fire place going for the first time, well, apparently i had a small infestation in the flue...ever seen bats leaving a cave in the evening, one right after another? yeah, it was kinda like that.

maxx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
PA, USA
www.omnimaxx.com
No longer have a siege from the outside. However, since the furnace has been coming on recently due to cold...the few that got past me earlier are getting active. Caught a couple in the past few days. Still better than years before when I knew nothing about them or where to look. Favorite hiding places are curtains and if you store your AC units indoors...they are in there. Fumigate the box before taking it in for the winter. I have three AC untis and each one was infested when I checked them on the porch. Might just leave them outside from now on.

maxx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
PA, USA
www.omnimaxx.com
Household Raid or similar insecticide sprays will kill the things....but they tend to stagger around for awhile before they die. This year I am leaving the AC units outside on the porch. But last year, I just sprayed through all the vents and openings and let them sit for a day. Then brought them in for winter storage. Anything that has been outside needs to be checked out before bringing it in for winter. They hide anywhere. I found one hiding in the bristles of a broom that I had left outside and brought in to clean up a broken glass. Sneaky .......s.....

If the AC units are small enough, you can just seal them up in those big green plastic lawn/trash bags, like Hefty, before stuffing in the closet. Anything in there will die....or at least be unable to get out.

maxx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
PA, USA
www.omnimaxx.com
Getting a warm up the next couple days. This will probably activate those stinkers that have been hibernating in your walls and attics. Just read there will be a stink bug trap available for sale this summer using pheremone lures. Won't be cheap I am sure....and won't work indoors.

RESCUE! BugBlog: More about the RESCUE! Stink Bug Trap

Read elsewhere that this year could be worse than last year....if that is possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread