• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Stink Bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
PA, USA
www.omnimaxx.com
They caught me by surprise last year. Wasn't expecting such a big assault. Gonna be prepared this year with some serious crack filling and screen door repair. Also experimenting with some chemicals. I found that regular Raid will slowly kill them, but won't act as a barrier. High DEET concentration insect repellent did seem to make them think twice about coming in through cracks. Hope to be ready by fall for the next battle.

OwnedByAGrey

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2011
Pennsylvania
We live in an old house (100 years old), so it's impossible to seal it enough to keep these things out! Every night, I check the sheets, the pillows, everywhere, just to make sure I'm not surprised by one of the damn things. They can also bite with the long proboscis they have tucked under their noses; it's what they use to suck the juices out of plants. You have to razz them up pretty good, though, to get them to bite you.

I'm an avid gardener, and last summer they tried to take out my cucumbers, went after the green beans and zucchini. I was seriously PO'ed!

From what I understand, the infestation began when someone from Rodale Publishing (in PA) ordered a plant from China. We need to find him, and we need to burn stinkbugs on his front lawn.

Worf

ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2011
Bethlehem, PA
When my son was still living with us he ordered some stuff online VIPER4 Oz Insect Spray Concentrate Whatever it it it kills them , not on contact though. I mix it a little heavier than they say to and I also have some other liquid that is supposed to make the water you mix it with "sticky". I spray from outside the house all the window tracks and door frames ...after using it 2 seasons thus far its better than not using it...for every dozen that sneak in around the window hung A/C I find an equal amount of dead ones....and i was worried that cigs would kill me...wear gloves when mixing and dont spray on windy days..

Horne4291

May 14, 2011
Canonsburg, PA
Yeah these things can be a pain. They don't bother my at all actually but my wife... well that another story. My wife keeps a empty bottle of pop with soapy water in it. When she finds one she will catch it in it. I laugh every time she does this. The only time I was mad is when we went to bed one night an we caught 8 of these things in are bed room. For some reason they like are bedroom the most. There must be a crack somewhere that there getting in. lol

ec!gg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
www.ecigg.org
I am going to try this home-made trap. I also noticed they are attracted to light, so I keep the house mostly dark at night, except for the bathroom. Any that are in the house, eventually go to that bright room where I can kill them in various ways.

YouTube - ‪BEST Stink Bug Trap EVER‬‏

Awesome thanks a ton for the video. I will definitely be putting this in my patio this week.

maxx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
PA, USA
www.omnimaxx.com
I just got back from Home Depot. They are sold out of the battery LED tap lights. I asked the guy when they are getting more and his response was, "They are next to impossible to find right now because everyone is trying to build those stink bug Pepsi traps." He guessed that was the reason I wanted one too....LOL :D

ec!gg

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
www.ecigg.org
I just got back from Home Depot. They are sold out of the battery LED tap lights. I asked the guy when they are getting more and his response was, "They are next to impossible to find right now because everyone is trying to build those stink bug Pepsi traps." He guessed that was the reason I wanted one too....LOL :D

I know a few years back Ikea had these I mean a ton. Give them a try. That's funny though everyone is trying to make this contraption hah

maxx

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2010
PA, USA
www.omnimaxx.com
I got one ready to go....as soon as I figure out the light source. I think the bugs know something is up. I haven't had one in the house for a couple days. Either that or all the taping and caulking around windows is finally paying off. I plan to build several if they work....so I am ready for the fall assault they will be putting up.

Was going to try a plug-in light source so I wouldn't need to keep buying batteries, but I think a regular bulb, even a small one, would melt the bottle after awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread