Status
Not open for further replies.

DWTaylor

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2010
South Dakota
datsvaper.com
I have heard putting your stuff in the fridge isn't a good idea, other then the chance someone will not look and drink it, I don't recall why.
I just treat it like any other liquid, I store it in a dry cool space. Pg will not freeze up but it does get really thick when getting close to freezing temps.

• Disagree
Reactions: madstabber

pywackit

Jan 6, 2010
washington
Hello golden,
From what i have read - your frig can spoil flavored e juice, unflavored is fine to keep in frig. But, even tho the bottles are clearly marked, if you have munchkins in your house it would be unwise not to have it way out of reach or under lock and key. With teenagers around ( they all have der moments, the i wonder what would happen if i did this?) i would lock it up somewhere, in a cool dark place

Scott EE

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Virginia USA
You can search juice storage but to sum up. Keep it cool, keep it out of sunlight, reduce the headspace in the bottle to reduce the amount of air, and dry low humidity.

So don't store you main stash of stuff in a large container half empty with alot of air. Use opaque or dark brown or another colored bottle out of sunlight, Don't store it near any heat sources in your house. And if your house is humid consider placing it inside a larger container like a small cooler with maybe some of those silica packets to keep humidity low. Use a smaller bottle of juice for making your mixes and store the rest in an appropriate sized bottle to reduce air in the bottle.

Storing it in a fridge or freezer will chill the liquid and can cause water to condense in the bottle if not sealed properly. Or uncapped while the bottle and liquid is still chilled. Search for mishaps people have had storing in a fridge. If you really have to store it in a fridge then make sure it is airtight possibly bagged or in a vacuum container. And allow to reach room temp before you open it to reduce the condensation working its way into your juice.

• Disagree
Reactions: madstabber

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
On the light issue, It doesn't matter what kind of light it is. Not just sunlight, any light can diminish the quality of the juice. To store flavorless juice for long periods of time mark it as dangerous, like everclear, bleach or cyanide, and put it in a black or dark bag on the top shelf of the fridge in the back. Providing you do not have any children that do not listen. Otherwise just bag it and stuff it in your top dresser drawer or if you really want to be safe, put it in a safe. Light will kill it more so than temperature.

Slickstick

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Where did you get 100 mg nicotine VG liquid from, I'd be quite interested in DIY liquid in that concentrate.

Do some digging here in the forums.. it will give you some knowledge on how to handle it before someone just ups and gives you a good source you can kill yourself with.

There are people here with ace juice. Levy being my favorite. But please learn the dangers of handling potent juice before you go attempting to diy.

Scott EE

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Virginia USA
Do some digging here in the forums.. it will give you some knowledge on how to handle it before someone just ups and gives you a good source you can kill yourself with.

There are people here with ace juice. Levy being my favorite. But please learn the dangers of handling potent juice before you go attempting to diy.

I agree here I read a ton before ordering this concentration. And ordered protective gear like nitrile gloves, disposable plastic apron, already had chemistry goggles. Got all the pipettes, graduated cylinders and syringes prior as well. the 100 mg/ml concentration is not something to take lightly or be cavalier with when mixing. Take high concentration nic seriously and mix with care.

This is not something you handle in shorts and short sleeves sitting around your coffee table with kids and or pets.

shadowcptn

ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2010
Northern Illinois

Thank you very much for the tip. I'm obviously new & will most definately do a lot of research before I start DIY'ing with my VG liquid. So far, I have a 3-month supply of pre-mix, so there's no rush! Thanks again. :)

Where did you get 100 mg nicotine VG liquid from, I'd be quite interested in DIY liquid in that concentrate.

I bought my first batch from XtremeVaping.com
" I will say his shipping time is very good." They suggested to keep it in the fridge. Our lab has liter's of 99% Nicotine and we keep it in a Hazmat Vault, "it's just dark & 68 deg and well ventilated". Also I was just curious how other people stored their high dose nicotine's. BTW Levy's product at XtremeVaping is just fine so do not be bashful on ordering some:thumb:. I just can't buy ours yet, but I'm working on it. The old conflict of interest BS.

Tips from the Lab: for our 99% Nicotine
BE VERY CAREFUL 40mg to 60mg can kill you. That type of poisoning is horrible. Google MSDS before you play with it.
Wear a face shield. Lab Coat or Long Sleeve Shirt.
Wear chemical resistant gloves, ours go to our elbows.
If you will be around it for awhile I would wear a vapor respirator, it does give off fumes. Check your paint supply stores for one.
Do not even consider keeping this in any area accesible by children. They might try to duplicate your actions and play mad scientist too.
Combustible at 471.2 degrees. So do not store in a 500 degree oven.:rolleyes:

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Here is exactly what I did with my 100 mg VG unflavored from MFS:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/myfreedomsmokes/43742-smoke-juice-storage-tips.html

I think my method is quite sound chemically, and I believe the juice will last a very long time. I detail what I bought to do it, and why. I got 0.5 L of it, and it is now in 50 mL bottles for incremental use. The procedure I use has you in potential contact with the exposed liquid once, and that is when you process it. Fact: 100 mg nic juice is very dangerous. Please be careful. My goal was to come up with a way to minimize contamination risk, as will as self-poisoning risk. The thread is several pages, with input from DVap, our other resident chemist. The liquid was VG, not PG, so I don't know how it will behave in the freezer.

Wine cooler or fridge is good, I think. Its best to have it in small bottles you take from one at a time, rather than always dipping into a .5 L bottle.

Good luck!

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
I bought my first batch from XtremeVaping.com
" I will say his shipping time is very good." They suggested to keep it in the fridge. Our lab has liter's of 99% Nicotine and we keep it in a Hazmat Vault, "it's just dark & 68 deg and well ventilated". Also I was just curious how other people stored their high dose nicotine's. BTW Levy's product at XtremeVaping is just fine so do not be bashful on ordering some:thumb:. I just can't buy ours yet, but I'm working on it. The old conflict of interest BS.

Tips from the Lab: for our 99% Nicotine
BE VERY CAREFUL 40mg to 60mg can kill you. That type of poisoning is horrible. Google MSDS before you play with it.
Wear a face shield. Lab Coat or Long Sleeve Shirt.
Wear chemical resistant gloves, ours go to our elbows.
If you will be around it for awhile I would wear a vapor respirator, it does give off fumes. Check your paint supply stores for one.
Do not even consider keeping this in any area accesible by children. They might try to duplicate your actions and play mad scientist too.
Combustible at 471.2 degrees. So do not store in a 500 degree oven.:rolleyes:

aigoldendogs, as a chemist myself, I very much appreciate the words of warning about dealing with high-nic liquids. I hope no one is working with free-base nic though, unoess they are trained and well equipped, but 100 mg juice is still quite dangerous. I've been trying to inject safety and sanity in a a mostly poison-naive world here. You are right about how nic would take you out. Its a horrible, nasty, messy way to go: convulsions, sweating, hiccups, vomiting, bowels releasing...and that's just the warm up. I would rather die from rattle snake than nicotine.

There are a lot of careless people here that will whine about such warnings, but they are ripe for a Darwin Award, in my opinion. Really glad another voice of reason has entered. I am hoping my processing and storage method is used by more here, as I think it is the best and safest way to preserve the investment for a long, long time, and use it in a safe and efficient manner.

Be aware that 0.25 mL of 100 mg/mL liquid will probably kill a child or a pet. That's about 5 drops, and it can absorb through the skin. 0.5 mL will kill the average sized man. Before anyone intends to buy and use 100 mg nic juice, please have a plan of exactly how you will do it, and all the necessary safety and storage gear in place before you even unscrew the cap.

If you are new to DIY with unflavored high-nic liquid, please start with 36 mg or less until you know what you are doing. Unless you are trained in working with thick liquids, things can easily get messy, and often do.

Scott EE

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2010
Virginia USA
aigoldendogs, as a chemist myself, I very much appreciate the words of warning about dealing with high-nic liquids. I hope no one is working with free-base nic though, unoess they are trained and well equipped, but 100 mg juice is still quite dangerous. I've been trying to inject safety and sanity in a a mostly poison-naive world here. You are right about how nic would take you out. Its a horrible, nasty, messy way to go: convulsions, sweating, hiccups, vomiting, bowels releasing...and that's just the warm up. I would rather die from rattle snake than nicotine.

There are a lot of careless people here that will whine about such warnings, but they are ripe for a Darwin Award, in my opinion. Really glad another voice of reason has entered. I am hoping my processing and storage method is used by more here, as I think it is the best and safest way to preserve the investment for a long, long time, and use it in a safe and efficient manner.

Be aware that 0.25 mL of 100 mg/mL liquid will probably kill a child or a pet. That's about 5 drops, and it can absorb through the skin. 0.5 mL will kill the average sized man. Before anyone intends to buy and use 100 mg nic juice, please have a plan of exactly how you will do it, and all the necessary safety and storage gear in place before you even unscrew the cap.

If you are new to DIY with unflavored high-nic liquid, please start with 36 mg or less until you know what you are doing. Unless you are trained in working with thick liquids, things can easily get messy, and often do.

Kurt my target nic on my stuff for vaping is between 18-21 mg/ml at present. So out of safety you recommend I cut it to 36 mg/ml then store it that way long term? If so that is easy enough I have enough bottles for nuclear winter in various sizes from 32 oz to 1 oz.

Well thanks everyone for your replies. I thought they were very good and that post on storage testing by dvap was also good. For people who are curious about high concentrations of nicotine, my advice would be to just spend the extra few bucks and buy it diluted. You are truly playing with fire.

It is very easy to get careless and have an accident. Plus you wont spend a small fortune on good protective gear, and don't pinch pennies on that stuff either. It's cheaper in the long run to spend the few extra bucks on good gear than your family paying for a funeral. We even use full body protective ensembles with air packs when were testing for radiation decay. Better safe than sorry.

For the mad scientists..... I had to text my boss after reading the dvap post because something caught my eye. His test used pure Oxygen, I was told nitrogen would be a better choice for headspace displacement to provide a good oxygen barrier. Also pure Nic can be crystal clear to slighty yellowish so yellow is not bad. So you can see a slight tinge if it is dlitued. I'm told it just has to do with what was used by the manufacturer to break down the product and final filtering. It still comes out pure. I put in a work order to test a few nic juices I have against our pure base which i'll knock it down with VG and PG, might be interesting.

Our data says store in cool, dark, well ventillated area. Use within 6 months at that point the Nic concentration starts to lower. If it is diluted with anything throw that idea out the window because there is no data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread