Storing 100mg Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kurt

Quantum Vapyre
ECF Veteran
Sep 16, 2009
Philadelphia
Well thanks everyone for your replies. I thought they were very good and that post on storage testing by dvap was also good. For people who are curious about high concentrations of nicotine, my advice would be to just spend the extra few bucks and buy it diluted. You are truly playing with fire.

It is very easy to get careless and have an accident. Plus you wont spend a small fortune on good protective gear, and don't pinch pennies on that stuff either. It's cheaper in the long run to spend the few extra bucks on good gear than your family paying for a funeral. We even use full body protective ensembles with air packs when were testing for radiation decay. Better safe than sorry.

For the mad scientists..... I had to text my boss after reading the dvap post because something caught my eye. His test used pure Oxygen, I was told nitrogen would be a better choice for headspace displacement to provide a good oxygen barrier. Also pure Nic can be crystal clear to slighty yellowish so yellow is not bad. So you can see a slight tinge if it is dlitued. I'm told it just has to do with what was used by the manufacturer to break down the product and final filtering. It still comes out pure. I put in a work order to test a few nic juices I have against our pure base which i'll knock it down with VG and PG, might be interesting.

Our data says store in cool, dark, well ventillated area. Use within 6 months at that point the Nic concentration starts to lower. If it is diluted with anything throw that idea out the window because there is no data.

The O2 solubility in VG, which is what all my nic is in, is very low. I didn't have N2 around, but even if there is a couple mL of headroom above the liquid in the bottle that is being stored, the amount of O2 in that space is not enough to convert significant nic to cotamine, even if it all reacts. And with the low O2 solubility anyway, and the fact that all bets are off as soon as it is opened, I think just limiting the headroom for stored liquids is probably as good as you can do. If someone has N2, that's great, but I wouldn't go out and buy N2 tanks and regulators. Dry ice to make CO2 was also discussed elsewhere, but again the amount of headroom is very small.

I also use euro dropper inserts in the bottles, and then dispense by syringe through the center hole of the inserts, which act as septa, limiting air exchange and virtually eliminating spill dangers...the liquid will not come out if the bottle is knocked over when open.

And I personally think that since VG does not expand upon freezing, these bottles can be stored very cold, essentially stopping all reaction kinetics, which would not be significant anyway. I have a separate cold room in my house that is not heated, and this is where the reserves are now. And as long as the bottles are in a sealed container in case of breakage, which shouldn't happen, a freezer should be good for this. Again, as long as the bottles are in a sealed container. Same goes for the fridge. You want to eliminate the danger of a bottle breaking and contaminating the fridge or foods.

The fact is, however, that even though these liquids are dangerous, so far no one has poisoned themselves yet, perhaps in part because of posts like these, but then again, the ultra-high nics are relatively new to the market, as in about 7 months. So time will tell.

Also, nic will react with some plastics, so glass is a better long-term storage material.

The O2 solubility in VG, which is what all my nic is in, is very low. I didn't have N2 around, but even if there is a couple mL of headroom above the liquid in the bottle that is being stored, the amount of O2 in that space is not enough to convert significant nic to cotamine, even if it all reacts. And with the low O2 solubility anyway, and the fact that all bets are off as soon as it is opened, I think just limiting the headroom for stored liquids is probably as good as you can do. If someone has N2, that's great, but I wouldn't go out and buy N2 tanks and regulators. Dry ice to make CO2 was also discussed elsewhere, but again the amount of headroom is very small.

I also use euro dropper inserts in the bottles, and then dispense by syringe through the center hole of the inserts, which act as septa, limiting air exchange and virtually eliminating spill dangers...the liquid will not come out if the bottle is knocked over when open.

And I personally think that since VG does not expand upon freezing, these bottles can be stored very cold, essentially stopping all reaction kinetics, which would not be significant anyway. I have a separate cold room in my house that is not heated, and this is where the reserves are now. And as long as the bottles are in a sealed container in case of breakage, which shouldn't happen, a freezer should be good for this. Again, as long as the bottles are in a sealed container. Same goes for the fridge. You want to eliminate the danger of a bottle breaking and contaminating the fridge or foods.

The fact is, however, that even though these liquids are dangerous, so far no one has poisoned themselves yet, perhaps in part because of posts like these, but then again, the ultra-high nics are relatively new to the market, as in about 7 months. So time will tell.

Also, nic will react with some plastics, so glass is a better long-term storage material.

Thanks Kurt for drilling that down a little deeper.

Ragamuffin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 25, 2010
US
I also bought a 60ml bottle of 100mg/ml of unflavored nicotine in PG base. It is going to take me a while to use this up. Came in a clear, glass bottle with dropper. I ordered some glass amber dropper bottles, 30ml, to split it up, and some even smaller size glass dropper ones, also amber. I think I will split it into several smaller ones for long term storage. I'm not keen on the fridge thing because of a teenager in the house, but also because i have pets that occasionally need meds, and they always have a dropper, in a unmarked bottle from the vet, inside a plastic labeled container. So while I know what they are, someone else in my house may not, and could mistakenly give one of the cats my nico instead of kittie's stomach med. That would be horrible. Not everyone will take the time to read the label, thinking that nothing else would usually be in the fridge in a dropper bottle except the pet meds.

So, my routine includes, smaller dark dropper bottles, inside a solid tool box, inside my locked wardrobe cabinet. I live in the cool, dark basement, darn right cold in the winter, but not unbearable. It is however, humid, but I can't use a dehumidifier because of my sinuses. I need the humidity, so I will add a "Damp-Rid" bucket to the wardrobe cabinet for any over-abundance of humidity. A small one perhaps. I don't think it will hurt anything. It's always cool and moist in the summer in my basement, but not so humid that it's moldy. In the winter, it's very dry due to electric heat pump, so I often run a humidifier. But anything I keep in my wardrobe closet and the doors locked, never smells or gets moist or seems affected in any negative way.

I really, really don't want to have to refrigerate this stuff. Just too dangerous with all these animals. And, i have one of those portable, small beverage refrigerators just for me, so they tend to get very very cold. Afraid that might damage the flavors somewhat.

Rags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread