storing nicotine in glass screw cap coca cola bottle

Status
Not open for further replies.

terrifyingPanda

Aug 7, 2020
my girlfriend bought me glass screw top coca cola bottles thinking they would be okay for what we wanted to do, storing nicotine in the freezer for a long time. They are a perfect size to fit under the shelf of the ice tray.

Since these are obviously safe for drinks would they be safe to fill with nicotine PG base and store in the freezer upright?

I currently have my nicotine base in plastic bottles but I want to store it long term in case they start cracking down on vaping even more.

I cannot find any poly-cone bottles in my area and the ones I have found online are marked as not food safe. Anything outside my country will take a long time to get in and just shipping glass within my country there is a big risk it will come to me damaged. There must be a safe glass bottle that is commonly found in grocery stores and other common places that i can use for storing nicotine in the freezer

-terrifyingPanda

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I cannot find any poly-cone bottles in my area and the ones I have found online are marked as not food safe.

It's not the bottles that are referred to as "poly-cone". It's the plastic, cone-shaped liner that's in the underside of the caps used on the glass bottles that many of us have our nic base in for freezer storage.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Since these are obviously safe for drinks would they be safe to fill with nicotine PG base and store in the freezer upright?
I can't think of any reason they wouldn't be.

I would leave a small amount of headspace when you fill them. Nic base will shrink when it goes in the freezer, but you want a little bit of room for expansion for potential temperature increases anyway.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    There must be a safe glass bottle that is commonly found in grocery stores and other common places that i can use for storing nicotine in the freezer

We call them canning jars or mason jars in the USA and they are not that expensive if you buy the more popular sizes. I'm sure these are easy to find in your country because people all over the world still can food. Ball is just one brand, there are many others.

mason-jars.jpg

• Informative
    Reactions: MLEJ

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    We call them canning jars or mason jars in the USA and they are not that expensive if you buy the more popular sizes. I'm sure these are easy to find in your country because people all over the world still can food. Ball is just one brand, there are many others.

mason-jars.jpg

Oh, no. Please don't use those for storing nicotine base. For one thing, those lids are not
    airtight (unless processed in boiling water like for canning) and will let oxygen in, and they corrode. If you must use Mason jars, make sure to buy plastic lids--sold separately.

Ball Reusable Wide Mouth Food Storage Lids Gray or
    Ball Reusable Regular Mouth Food Storage Lids

Also, we are trying to minimize head space in the storage container--bottles with narrow necks are much more suitable for this purpose than jars with wide opening on top.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I cannot find any poly-cone bottles in my area and the ones I have found online are marked as not food safe.

The reason we prefer to use plycone caps (not bottles, as @JCinFLA notted above) is that they are very good at creating airtight seal:

PolyCone Lined Phenolic Caps - Qorpak

"PolyCone Lined Phenolic Caps form an exceptionally tight seal and offer a good chemical barrier. This liner molds itself around the sealing areas of the finish as the cap is screwed on, virtually eliminating leakage, evaporation, contamination, binding and backing off. Great for everything from liquids, to soaps, to macro-invertebrates."

But I agree with Rossum--if the caps you have for your bottles are food grade and airtight, you should be safe. When/if in doubt, secure the caps with some plastic wrap and masking tape to make sure they are airtight.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Oh, no. Please don't use those for storing nicotine base. For one thing, those lids are not
    airtight (unless processed in boiling water like for canning) and will let oxygen in, and they corrode. If you must use Mason jars, make sure to buy plastic lids--sold separately.

Ball Reusable Wide Mouth Food Storage Lids Gray or
    Ball Reusable Regular Mouth Food Storage Lids

Also, we are trying to minimize head space in the storage container--bottles with narrow necks are much more suitable for this purpose than jars with wide opening on top.

But think of the context.

I cannot find any poly-cone bottles in my area and the ones I have found online are marked as not food safe. Anything outside my country will take a long time to get in and just shipping glass within my country there is a big risk it will come to me damaged. There must be a safe glass bottle that is commonly found in grocery stores and other common places that i can use for storing nicotine in the freezer

OP stated resources are limited in their area and asked what vessels may be more widely available...hence my answer. Probably better than a coke bottle with used-up lid liner, no?

There are 2 people on this forum I've come across last year that claim to use mason jars for nic storage and have been doing it for a few years. One of them said they use the regular, lined metal lids (which use BPA-free liners these days - at least Ball brand does).

Not saying mason jars are a good choice, but it may be the best or even only choice for some.

Last edited:
    • Agree
    Reactions: newyork13

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 15, 2013
    KY
    Some of my nicotine is stored in a freezer in brown beer bottles salvaged from my brewing days. Give a little head room then use a capper to seal the deal air tight. Then, because you have used all of your beer bottles for nicotine you need to buy more beer so that you have enough bottles. In today's parlance, "Win Win".

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    Probably better than a coke bottle with used-up lid liner, no?

The OP said "my girlfriend bought me glass screw top coca cola bottles." I assume they are new and empty. I believe they are a better option in his case.

ETA: I'm also assuming that the caps are new and can be seated properly and provide airtight seal--OP didn't specify. So there's that.

Last edited:

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    My two cents would be whatever container you use be sure to label it clearly. In case someone unexpected roots through your freezer and thinks they are getting a refreshing beverage or something.

Absolutely! Mine are all wrapped in bubble wrap in a box (taped with masking tape) labeled "NOT FOOD."

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA
    But I agree with Rossum--if the caps you have for your bottles are food grade and airtight, you should be safe.
    I cannot imagine soda bottle screw-caps not being air-tight. I mean, if they weren't, the carbonated beverage that they're designed for would go flat in short order, no?

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    I cannot imagine soda bottle screw-caps not being air-tight. I mean, if they weren't, the carbonated beverage that they're designed for would go flat in short order, no?

That's what I thought, too. But I never bought empty coke bottles so I have no idea what they look like. And thanks for your help.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread