strange burnt taste

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christian Sheasley

Mar 1, 2016
First, I am using a Sigelei 150w box with a smok TFV4 and mainly the quad coil. I have been playing with mixing my own juices from concentrates (mainly FA brand concentrates) and mainly strawberry. I got hooked on a raspberry ice that a local vape shop had and have been trying to recreate it and found I like the strawberry better than the raspberry. On the batch I made up recently I get a burnt taste after a few drags. If I switch the tank back to the store bought raspberry ice, the taste goes away. I am vaping at 50w/4.4v on the box and the quad coil is rated between 40-140w and is .15ohms. I can't figure out why my homemade batch gives me the burnt taste. i have made other batches in the past and did not have this happen. I am using some different concentrates but keeping the mixes down to around 12%. I started with 30PG/70VG. My thought was that it just wasn't wicking enough so I have been adding PG to thin it out. As I go more to PG it seems better but not much. Any ideas from the experts?

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I don't know anything about your set-up as I don't subohm or use high watt mods. But, I'm wondering if your strawberry flavoring has ethyl alcohol in it? I've found with several TFA fruit flavors that have it in it...that I get a "stingey" taste, and sometimes sort of burnt taste from it at higher watts (for me anyway). That's besides the headache EA gives me, too, if it isn't evaporated out before I vape it! :)

Christian Sheasley

Mar 1, 2016
I am still what I consider a newbie, vaping about a year and subohm about the past 6 months, making my own juice about the last 4 months so I haven't read anything about EA. I am currently using Capella's sweet strawberry and TFA's ripe strawberry. Neither of the labels mention EA in the ingredients so I don't know. I have found in the past few days that I have added distilled water to my mix and the harshness seems to have disappeared. I am on day 2 of vaping with this mix and I have not had that harsh hit yet whereas before the water, I was getting it almost instantly. You mentioned "evaporated out"--please explain--how long before it evaporates out? Should I maybe leave my mixes open (lid off) for a bit as it is steeping? Could the water be counteracting the EA?

Reactions: JCinFLA

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
The Capella's Sweet Strawberry flavoring does indeed have alcohol in it, though it doesn't say if it's ethyl alcohol or some other type. TFA Strawberry Ripe doesn't have EA in it, but their regular Strawberry does. So do other TFA fruit flavors (ie. Ripe Banana, Pineapple, and more) and I imagine some others of Capella's do, too. It's funny though, because some TFA flavors I wouldn't expect to have it at all, also do (ie. Dulche De Leche, Milk Chocolate, and more). I order all my flavorings from Wizard Labs, and their website pages for every flavoring tell exactly what's in them. Many times there's an alternative same/nearly the same flavoring though without it in TFA, like the Strawberry Ripe instead of getting the reg. Strawberry. They have a Juicy Peach (with it), but a Peach (without it). There are more like that, too.

As far as evaporating the alcohol out - You can either get rid of it in your whole bottle of flavoring at once, or do it once your mix is made with the flavoring in it...although I think that takes longer. I read how to do it in several places, and the first thing I tried has worked.

I just shake the heck out of the bottle until lots of alcohol containing bubbles appear in it. Then I uncap the bottle and let those bubble come to the top & evaporate. Then recap it, shake again vigorously, and leave the cap off. I did that about 5-6 times a day for 3-4 days and got rid of a very strong alcohol smell & taste from TFA Juicy Peach in a recipe I made. It was so strong at first, I couldn't vape it. Now, it's very vapable.

I don't know if the DW you added affected/caused yours to be better or not. I've never used it in anything I've made. Other people may be able to advise about that though.

Christian Sheasley

Mar 1, 2016
Thanks! That was a very informative answer. I generally do shake my mixes at least 5 times a day for a few days before vaping them so I will have to leave the lid off for a bit afterword and test how it works. In messing with water amounts I was constantly shaking the mix and then leaving the lid off so maybe it wasn't as much the water as it was the shaking and the lid off. Thanks for the Wizard Labs tip. Next time I am ready, I am going to check them out.

Reactions: JCinFLA

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
You're very welcome. Sometimes I think I'm going too much in detail though. Guess it's the retired teacher in me...want to make sure I'm explaining things the best I can.

You know...I bet you did inadvertently get rid of that alcohol, leaving the cap off, and you didn't know it.

Alittle more about Wizard Labs - They have really good prices and have their flavorings on sale, too! Since I got the DIY liquids "bug" about 3 weeks ago, I've ordered 50+ different flavorings and additives from them, 99% of them TFA brand. Their S/H is reasonable, too.

Another word or 2 about TFA flavorings and things in them, just for future reference. Some of their flavorings also contain the "custard notes" with the Acetoin and/or
Acetylpropionyl in them, that some people like to avoid. However, they also make some alternatives of the flavors that don't have those in them. Many of the alternatives start with DX in their names. For example, I wanted a TFA Banana Cream flavoring, but I prefer not to have the 2 "A ingredients" above, if I can help it. They have a DX Banana Cream without those chemicals! Same thing with quite a few other alternatives. With one of my favorites though (Vanilla Bean Ice Cream)...there is no alternative, so I just suck it up and go for it anyway. There's only trace amounts in it. Some times, I just have to have my VBIC! :)

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
I'm not familiar with ecigexpress, though quite a few people on ECF order from them. Don't know where, if anywhere, on their website...the complete ingredients are shown. I'll go take a look real quickly though after I post this, and will post again then.

I only find what's actually in the flavorings on the WL website, when I'm going through my TFA flavoring list that I want to order. I pull up each TFA flavoring I'm interested in, in a particular size vial or bottle, and read the ingredient list shown for it. I don't know any other easier way to get them.

PhatClouds E-Liquid

Unresolved Status
Mar 2, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier

PhatClouds E-Liquid

Unresolved Status
Mar 2, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1

PhatClouds E-Liquid

Unresolved Status
Mar 2, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
OK, I went and took a look at about 5-6 TFA flavorings that I had saved the ingredients list for when I bought them on Wizard Labs...and found those TFA flavorings on ecigexpress, too.

For my own use...I wouldn't buy from ecigexpress, because they're not giving all the info. WL gives for the same flavorings.

For example: on WL, the TFA Bavarian Cream page clearly states the normal ingredients, but then specifically from TFA itself...also contains (Acetoin, Acetyl Propionyl). On ECE...it doesn't show/say that anywhere at all for that flavoring.

For TFA Coconut on WL, shows normal ingredients again, and then from TFA...again contains (Acetoin, Acetyl Propionyl). For TFA Coconut on ECE says "Contains Diacetyl and/or related diketones. May not be suitable for vaping." It shows diacetyl and doesn't show exactly which diketones it has though.

BOTH websites have some of the DX (diketone-free) flavorings, but I see the ECE charges more if you get the DX version of a flavor. WL charges the same for either one.

It's up to you where you get your flavorings, of course. But I buy mine from WL not only because they show me exactly what's in each TFA flavoring, CAP flavoring, etc., but because I personally know that at least 4 area vape shops who make liquids on their premises...also get all their flavorings from WL. Might have something to do with the fact that WL is only about 50 miles from us, or it might not. I just prefer them myself.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Just read your post before my last one. I wouldn't NOT order TFA or Capella. They're both great in my opinion. I use about 99% TFA flavorings and an occassional CAP flavoring myself...mainly because that's what Bill (of Bill's Magic Vapor on the ECF) uses in his recipes, and I really like them! Both companies do a great job providing their complete ingredients, not trying to keep them a secret. IMO, it's just how much of those ingredients each vendor website wants to publicize, that I think varies.

Christian Sheasley

Mar 1, 2016
Thanks, I don't think I will change my flavors just yet, though I am always looking for new flavors, but it is nice to know a little more about the flavors I am using and what products they contain. When I started mixing my own, I really was just looking for US based companies because I didn't want to be ordering liquids form outside of the US but I am not married to ecigexpress so I can definitely say that my next order I will give WL a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread