Strawberry, Strawberry, STRAWBERRY( Help)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steensj2004

Mar 26, 2019
I’ve gotten lots of good recipes on here, however, I need some help. I have a buddy who wants pure, pretty intense strawberry vape. Every one we’ve tried haven’t met his demands. High strawberry flavor recipes, no cream or anything like that. Straight strawberry. I assume our failure has been that we need some supporting flavors that aren’t strawberry, that give that sweet, juicy, pure strawberry flavor he needs. I’ve tried some juicy peach to try and give some,”Juiciness,” but no luck, and the flavor is muted compared to his preferred ,”Stranomonon” over the counter juice. Help please!

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2013
High Desert, CA
Just as an FYI, I did a 65/35 mix @ 6% nic

- Strawberry (TFA) 9%
-Strawberry Ripe(TFA) 4%
-Juicy Peach(TFA) 6%
-Sweetner (TFA) 3%
( off the top of my head, I’d have to go look at the exact percentages but these are close).

It was, eh.... wondering if maybe there are better strawberry flavors to use that are more potent?

I'm not sure more potent is what you're looking for. Both the strawberries you're using have very earthy flavor notes to me, and those are fairly high values for them. They just don't bring out the sweetness of strawberry, although they are very good as a secondary flavor note for other non strawberry mixes. If the mix was for my tastes I would change the strawberry (TFA) for Sweet Strawberry (Capella) and knock the strawberry ripe down a bit to 2 or 3%. I do like strawberry ripe though and usually add that to any strawberry mix in a low percentage. I agree with others to add a bit of dragonfruit for a bit more pop to the strawberry (it shouldn't be enough to taste the dragonfruit, just enough to enhance the strawberry). I also prefer Super Sweet (Capella), to TFA, but at a much lower value... 1% or less depending on how sweet you want the juice (I typically use 0.2 to 0.5% if I want a bit more sweetness). If using dragonfruit, I would consider losing the peach entirely unless your trying for a strawberry/peach profile.

Everybody has different tastes and expectation for what something should taste like, so this is just the way I like strawberry predominant flavors. I like the sweet side of strawberry, not the earthy side... but a bit of the earthy side really rounds out the strawberry flavor. Makes it a bit fuller, if that makes sense.

Steensj2004

Mar 26, 2019
So you’re suggesting strawberry Cap? I can try that. Also ordering some dragonfruit to see if that pops at all. Using Sweet Strawberry(CAP) abs Dragonfruit, does anyone have a recommended starting point for the mixes?

Never mind, I misread Jazzman’s post.

@Jazzman so you’re suggesting:

Sweet Strawberry (Cap) 9%
Strawberry Ripe(TFA) 2%
Dragon fruit 6%

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    Everybody has different tastes and expectation for what something should taste like, so this is just the way I like strawberry predominant flavors.
    To me, this would be the 'nugget' from his post ;)

And there were 2 posts regarding TFA Dragonfruit, so I fail to understand how you came up with 6%

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA
    So you’re suggesting strawberry Cap? I can try that. Also ordering some dragonfruit to see if that pops at all. Using Sweet Strawberry(CAP) abs Dragonfruit, does anyone have a recommended starting point for the mixes?

Never mind, I misread Jazzman’s post.

@Jazzman so you’re suggesting:

Sweet Strawberry (Cap) 9%
    Strawberry Ripe(TFA) 2%
    Dragon fruit 6%

Sorry, I wasn't clear and didn't mean to suggest replacing peach with dragonfruit, and certainly not at 6%. I meant lose the peach entirely, unless you want a peach/strawberry flavor. But I thought you wanted a more pure strawberry. I just don't see that large an amount of peach helping that and the peach would probably significantly change strawberry profile.

I agree with @Heartsdelight . The dragonfruit should be at 1% or less. It shouldn't be enough to taste the dragonfruit, just enough to create a bit of pop to the strawberry. And dragonfruit is wonderful for that in very small amounts. Dragonfruit works like that for many fruit flavors. I would try 0.5% and go up from there if needed, in very small increments. If you begin to taste the dragonfruit it is probably too much since you will be using dragonfruit as a modifier not a main flavoring.

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA
    To me, this would be the 'nugget' from his post ;)

And there were 2 posts regarding TFA Dragonfruit, so I fail to understand how you came up with 6%

I didn't Wayne, I was suggesting losing the peach completely. I may have written that awkwardly, but would not suggest that level of dragonfruit. That would be way too much.

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    I’ve gotten lots of good recipes on here, however, I need some help. I have a buddy who wants pure, pretty intense strawberry vape. Every one we’ve tried haven’t met his demands. High strawberry flavor recipes, no cream or anything like that. Straight strawberry. I assume our failure has been that we need some supporting flavors that aren’t strawberry, that give that sweet, juicy, pure strawberry flavor he needs. I’ve tried some juicy peach to try and give some,”Juiciness,” but no luck, and the flavor is muted compared to his preferred ,”Stranomonon” over the counter juice. Help please!
    The "Stranomonon" sounds like a candy strawberry flavour vs a "true" strawberry fruit type flavour.
    Does the juice have multiple strawberry profiles? (the hard candies have a sweeter filled center iirc )
    What topper/tank is being used to vape this juice? (resistance/watts?)
    How long are you allowing your mixes to mature?
    How large is the batch of juice you are mixing? 10ml? 100ml?

How I use the flavours mentioned:
    TFA Strawberry ripe, as an accent at 4-5% max.
    Cap Sweet Strawberry, as an accent at 5-6% max.
    TFA dragon fruit as an "enhancement" starting at .5% up to 1.5% MAX.

I have not found one strawberry flavour to rule them all, my most pleasing strawberrys are mixes of different strawberry versions from multiple flavour vendors.

Cheers
    I

Steensj2004

Mar 26, 2019
    The "Stranomonon" sounds like a candy strawberry flavour vs a "true" strawberry fruit type flavour.
    Does the juice have multiple strawberry profiles? (the hard candies have a sweeter filled center iirc )
    What topper/tank is being used to vape this juice? (resistance/watts?)
    How long are you allowing your mixes to mature?
    How large is the batch of juice you are mixing? 10ml? 100ml?

How I use the flavours mentioned:
    TFA Strawberry ripe, as an accent at 4-5% max.
    Cap Sweet Strawberry, as an accent at 5-6% max.
    TFA dragon fruit as an "enhancement" starting at .5% up to 1.5% MAX.

I have not found one strawberry flavour to rule them all, my most pleasing strawberrys are mixes of different strawberry versions from multiple flavour vendors.

Cheers
    I
    The tank is a FreeMax Mesh Pro.

Generally speaking I do 60ml batches. Aging/maturing depends on the mix, most I do are pure fruit, so about a week to two weeks.
    It (Stranomenon) does have a more candy hint to it.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    I didn't Wayne, I was suggesting losing the peach completely.
    I understood your post completely :). Both comments were for the OP. ;)

I know my Strawberries are usually in a combo between 5-7%, and I only get sweetness from the Ripe. So when you described WHAT you liked and WHY, I considered that the nugget (most important takeaway) as all our taste buds are different.

Reactions: Jazzman

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain

Generally speaking I do 60ml batches. Aging/maturing depends on the mix, most I do are pure fruit, so about a week to two weeks.
    When I mix, I mix for low watt devices,( MTL/loose MTL/restricted DTL) . Average is 10-16 watts with a max of 25.
    My final mixes are in the 12-15% max total flavour range. Nic at 5-10mg/ml
    When I mix for my pod device (minifit/Zero)- flavour increases to 20% or more and nicotine is bumped to 25mg/ml-30mg/ml.

I don't mix for big air devices, however you may want to lower your starting percentages to avoid muddiness or muted, conflicting flavours.
    Research your flavours to determine what percentage of each is sweetener/EM or other additives.
    If your base flavours are already sweetened/enhanced, you may be inadvertently OD'ing your mixes on sweetener or enhancers.
    Look to other flavour companies for better or more suitable candy type strawberry for your base.
    I think you may want to investigate something tart or sharp (raspberry maybe) to add a bit of the sweet acid strawberry center flavour. The outer shell strawberry might benefit from some salted caramel (.5%?)to add a bit of creamy/smooth texture.

IMO: the recipe you are in search of contains multiple layered flavours.
    It is not going to be a three ingredient shake and vape.

Take copious notes!
    ETA: Go HERE and get the PDF. DIY Getting started cheat sheet - good information gathered from ECF
    HTH
    I

Last edited:

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA

I would try doing several 10ml batches with different flavoring amounts to start, just taking your best guesses. 60ml of juice is too much to waste making unsatisfactory juice. At least for me, I go through many iterations before I have a mix I'm happy with. Sometimes many, many, many iterations... lol. Just put numbers on the bottles and keep a paper handy for your mixing notes for what you did with each mix for reference later after you taste it.

With straight up fruit flavors like this one you shouldn't have to wait for weeks to taste it. Sure it will change some over that time period, but you should have a fairly good idea of the flavor after a day or two. If you have an RDA, use that for quick tasting to get an idea of how the mix is tasting without having to fill a tank. Try to use fresh cotton for each mix so you don't get flavor mixing from the last taste test mix. And single coil works best for me, and easiest. I use a bowtie wicking method for this. Just a short piece of cotton that protrudes just a small amount on either side of the coil. The cotton does not touch the RDA deck... just protrudes about a quarter inch on either side of the coil. like a bowtie. I drip some juice to saturate the coil and cotton and that is enough for about 2 or 3 puffs. If I'm not sure by then if I like the taste I'll saturate the coil again until I have an idea of the flavor. Once I'm happy with the flavor I'll try it in a fully wicked RDA, tank or squonker. It's really quick to pull the cotton, dryburn the coil, and re-wick the coil this way so you get a fresh start for each tasting. Oh, and try this at lower power settings, I tend to use 30watts with a .5 coil build for tasting.

Steensj2004

Mar 26, 2019
    I would try doing several 10ml batches with different flavoring amounts to start, just taking your best guesses. 60ml of juice is too much to waste making unsatisfactory juice. At least for me, I go through many iterations before I have a mix I'm happy with. Sometimes many, many, many iterations... lol. Just put numbers on the bottles and keep a paper handy for your mixing notes for what you did with each mix for reference later after you taste it.

With straight up fruit flavors like this one you shouldn't have to wait for weeks to taste it. Sure it will change some over that time period, but you should have a fairly good idea of the flavor after a day or two. If you have an RDA, use that for quick tasting to get an idea of how the mix is tasting without having to fill a tank. Try to use fresh cotton for each mix so you don't get flavor mixing from the last taste test mix. And single coil works best for me, and easiest. I use a bowtie wicking method for this. Just a short piece of cotton that protrudes just a small amount on either side of the coil. The cotton does not touch the RDA deck... just protrudes about a quarter inch on either side of the coil. like a bowtie. I drip some juice to saturate the coil and cotton and that is enough for about 2 or 3 puffs. If I'm not sure by then if I like the taste I'll saturate the coil again until I have an idea of the flavor. Once I'm happy with the flavor I'll try it in a fully wicked RDA, tank or squonker. It's really quick to pull the cotton, dryburn the coil, and re-wick the coil this way so you get a fresh start for each tasting. Oh, and try this at lower power settings, I tend to use 30watts with a .5 coil build for tasting.

Thanks for all the help. I have a RDA coming for tasting, it just isn’t here yet. Good idea on the 10ml mixes. I found a multi layer, strawberry only option, but as you can see below, holy flavors. Is that insane or is it potentially fantastic?

Attachments

• 40167867-17CB-41FA-86C6-30E04310F063.png
      40167867-17CB-41FA-86C6-30E04310F063.png
      350.4 KB · Views: 87

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Thanks for all the help. I have a RDA coming for tasting, it just isn’t here yet. Good idea on the 10ml mixes. I found a multi layer, strawberry only option, but as you can see below, holy flavors. Is that insane or is it potentially fantastic?
    That looks potentially fantastic.

I would mix it at half strength and see how it tastes in my devices.
    Recipe saved, Thanks

Cheers
    I

• Agree
    Reactions: Opinionated

Jazzman

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 24, 2013
    High Desert, CA

It could be insane... or fantastic. Only way to know is to try. I've heard Inawera shisha strawberry is a very good flavoring but I haven't tried it yet. I've been meaning to but it seems every time I place a flavoring order they are out of that flavor.

TBH, I'm always a bit suspect when I see a recipe that has 23% flavoring. Too much flavoring will mute a flavor just as much as too little in my experience. I generally shoot for somewhere around no more than 15%. If the flavorings get too high a percentage I cut everything in half, keeping the same ratios, and start working up from there. Many times you will get a more vivid flavor that way with the same flavor profile but less overall flavor percentage. But you never know and it's worth a try doing the recipe as written. But just do a 10ml bottle because I have a feeling it might be over flavored.

The same juice mixer has another strawberry recipe Strawberry Dragon with similar flavors mixed at a much lower total flavor percentage at around 10%, and at different ratios. Might be worth trying that too since you'll already have the flavors.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread