Study: Some E-Cigs Put Out Tobacco-Like Levels of Carcinogens

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Phatsaqs

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Houston, Texas
http:// gizmodo.com/ study-some-e-cigs-put-out-tobacco-like-levels-of-carci-1571501156

Study: Some E-Cigs Put Out Tobacco-Like Levels of Carcinogens
An upcoming study in the peer-reviewed journal Nicotine and Tobacco Research says that some tank-style e-cigarettes emit cancer-causing formaldehyde in their vapor at levels similar to traditional tobacco cigarettes. The New York Times, which revealed the findings ahead of publication, says a second study confirms the results.

The problem seems to be that some tank-style e-cigarettes (the larger, refillable style that vaporize liquid nicotine) get so hot, they cause formaldehyde to form in the vapor they put out.

RELATED

The FDA Thinks Electronic Cigarettes Are Tobacco Products
The FDA has proposed new rules that would bring electronic cigarettes under its regulations for tobacco products, even though that's not exactly … Read…
The finding comes on the heels of the FDA's proposal to regulate e-cigs under the same rules as traditional combustible tobacco. However, those proposed rules would focus on the ingredients that go into e-cig juice, not on the chemical makeup of the vapor that comes out. So far, e-cig emissions (the content of the vapor they produce) is an unregulated area.

It's a complicated area of study, in part because there are so many various manufacturers of e-cigs, and the products are largely non-standardized. One of the studies, performed at the Roswell Park Cancer Institute in Buffalo, found that levels of carcinogens increased markedly when the battery output of the tank-style e-cigs was boosted from 3.2 volts to 4.8 volts.

Then there's the way that consumers use e-cigs: the higher heat that scientists say creates carcinogens also produces more potent vapor. Many e-cig tinkerers boost the heat output of their devices, or dribble liquid nicotine directly on the heating element for a more intense vapor. The researchers say dripping puts out carcinogen levels that approach the concentration found in old-fashioned cigarettes.

Dr. Alan Shihadeh at the Virginia Commonwealth University's Center for the Study of Tobacco Products, who led one of the studies, acknowledged that while the e-cig study only examined a handful of carcinogens, traditional cigarettes put out dozens of cancer-causing compounds. As he told The New York Times:

If I was in a torture chamber and you said I had to puff on something, I'd choose an e-cigarette over a regular cigarette. But if you said I could choose an e-cigarette or clean air, I'd definitely choose clean air. And I definitely wouldn't drip.
RELATED

What Tobacco's Past Means for vaping's Future
The Food and Drug Administration announced today that it wants to regulate electronic cigarettes. This isn't surprising. But there's… Read…
The studies will be published beginning May 15th. Until then, maybe you should hold off on the heavy-duty vaping. E-cigs may not be exactly the same as the dead leaves Don Draper smoked, but this particular similarity isn't all that enticing. [NYT]

Last edited:

xCJack

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2013
United States
gothamist .com/2014/05/04/studies_e-cig_vapor_contains_formal.php

This appears to be an excerpt from the unpublished studies that OP posted. The excerpt below is apparently from "one of the studies"

But with dripping, the e-liquid heats with such intensity that formaldehyde and related toxins “approach the concentration in cigarettes,” said Dr. Alan Shihadeh, a project director at the Virginia Commonwealth University’s Center for the Study of Tobacco Products and an associate professor of mechanical engineering at American University in Beirut, who led the research.

Notice how the except says "but with dripping" which to me implies that the author of the study is saying "Tank systems don't do this, but dripping does."

Last edited by a moderator:

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
How does the coil know it sits in a dripper, and why does it start producing formaldehyde when it finds out?

What kind of coil did they run at 4.8 volt? On what wicking material? Are they in fact examining dry hits, not vapor?

There are a lot of factors that needs to be clarified, imo. If there is any truth to this, I'd like to know how to avoid it.

Dominique Hoogduin

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2014
The Hague, Netherlands, Netherlands

This appears to be an excerpt from the unpublished studies that OP posted. The excerpt below is apparently from "one of the studies"

But with dripping, the e-liquid heats with such intensity that formaldehyde and related toxins “approach the concentration in cigarettes,” said Dr. Alan Shihadeh, a project director at the Virginia Commonwealth University’s Center for the Study of Tobacco Products and an associate professor of mechanical engineering at American University in Beirut, who led the research.

Notice how the except says "but with dripping" which to me implies that the author of the study is saying "Tank systems don't do this, but dripping does."

think they see dripping as putting it on the coil directly.. without wicking material.

xCJack

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2013
United States
How does the coil know it sits in a dripper, and why does it start producing formaldehyde when it finds out?

What kind of coil did they run at 4.8 volt? On what wicking material? Are they in fact examining dry hits, not vapor?

There are a lot of factors that needs to be clarified, imo. If there is any truth to this, I'd like to know how to avoid it.

I don't know how drippers work, but it seems like the researchers in this study heated the coil up hot, and then dripped the juice on. I'm not sure if you apply juice first and then heat the coil which would in theory work the same way as a tank system, the liquid keeps the coil cool.

Johnny Phatsaqs

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Houston, Texas

Yeah, that's what I keyed in on. I drip, but not often. Few times a day, and a couple batteries' worth on weekends. I mainly vape through a tank, specifically an Aerotank in my VTR or Mini Protank III on an ego C. But, I think this warrants attention by the community. If the facts show true, then people should know and we should put the word out. I don't think it would be good for people that know better to not say anything to folks that think they can sub ohm chain vape with impunity without having any consequences.

xCJack

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2013
United States
Yeah, that's what I keyed in on. I drip, but not often. Few times a day, and a couple batteries' worth on weekends. I mainly vape through a tank, specifically an Aerotank in my VTR or Mini Protank III on an ego C. But, I think this warrants attention by the community. If the facts show true, then people should know and we should put the word out. I don't think it would be good for people that know better to not say anything to folks that think they can sub ohm chain vape with impunity without having any consequences.

Read my other post too on the first page, see what you think of that idea. I get the feeling that the researchers heated up the coil burning hot, then dripped the juice on. I'm not sure if that's how dripping works, but.

minimalsaint

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Michigan
There are too many unknowns with this study to justifiably cause any sort of hysteria in the community. What device? What type of wire? What type of atomizer? What type of wick? What type of liquid? What ratio? What concentration of flavors and what kind? How many volts? What is the reistance? What is the control?

Johnny Phatsaqs

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Houston, Texas
Break that friggin link while i go to the bathroom to puke from reading the comments.

Whether the information is correct or not (we'll have to ACTUALLY see the study) the author shows an overall lack of credibility and journalistic integrity by his combative, insulting replies.

I typically avoid comments sections on things like this. They're toxic. I see where you're coming from, but I think it's foolish to just dismiss something because you don't like it. I did say, IF THE FACTS SHOW TRUE. I'm not saying I like it, support it and I damn sure didn't write it. I thought that it's worth keeping an eye on. Again, I think it does people a disservice to avoid and ignore anything that may be negative about something we enjoy.

Johnny Phatsaqs

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2014
Houston, Texas
There are too many unknowns with this study to justifiably cause any sort of hysteria in the community. What device? What type of wire? What type of atomizer? What type of wick? What type of liquid? What ratio? What concentration of flavors and what kind? How many volts? What is the reistance? What is the control?

I would think that these specifics we all want to see will be in actual study when it is published.

xCJack

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2013
United States

Lol, watch when the study is published, none of those variables will be clearly addressed, leaving only speculations, which shouldn't be grounds for any concern, imo.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread