New 'baddie'. Mint/ menthol flavor causes cancer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

iVapeDIY

ECF Veteran
Sep 1, 2017
Toronto, Canada
E-cigarette cancer warning as new study finds mint and menthol flavour risk

The study of menthol and peppermint vapes revealed high concentrations of a carcinogenic additive called pulegone that US watchdogs recently banned in food.

The pulegone additive, a constituent of oil extracts from mint plants, is believed to cause liver cancer if absorbed in high enough quantities.

Mint, menthol e-cigarette liquids high in cancer-causing compound: study - Reuters

The findings, published in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine

Vape Pods Taste Minty Thanks to Extremely High Levels of a Chemical Banned in Food

But despite all the evidence that pulegone is carcinogenic and causes liver toxicity, researchers found the chemical is present in mint and menthol-flavored e-cig liquid at levels far above a safe threshold.

This study is the latest in a growing pile of proof to how little-regulated e-cigs and vapes are. To illustrate that, researchers compared pulegone levels in mint and menthol e-cig liquid to levels in menthol cigarettes. At all levels of daily consumption, pulegone exposure from vape pods are significantly higher than exposure from cigarettes, with rates ranging from 44 to 1,608 times higher.

So much for juul's best seller - menthol.

ruet

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2011
GR, MI
If pulegone is so highly regulated; where are juice makers getting it? They aren't manufacturing it themselves. ...especially the synthetic version.

Also...
The study had a few limitations: One is that the FDA’s ban on synthetic pulegone is based on animal consumption data. Another is that there’s no real data on toxicity from pulegone inhalation versus consumption in food or drinks.

Last edited:

Dacholiday Dach

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
E-cigarette cancer warning as new study finds mint and menthol flavour risk

The study of menthol and peppermint vapes revealed high concentrations of a carcinogenic additive called pulegone that US watchdogs recently banned in food.

The pulegone additive, a constituent of oil extracts from mint plants, is believed to cause liver cancer if absorbed in high enough quantities.

Mint, menthol e-cigarette liquids high in cancer-causing compound: study - Reuters

The findings, published in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine

Vape Pods Taste Minty Thanks to Extremely High Levels of a Chemical Banned in Food

But despite all the evidence that pulegone is carcinogenic and causes liver toxicity, researchers found the chemical is present in mint and menthol-flavored e-cig liquid at levels far above a safe threshold.

This study is the latest in a growing pile of proof to how little-regulated e-cigs and vapes are. To illustrate that, researchers compared pulegone levels in mint and menthol e-cig liquid to levels in menthol cigarettes. At all levels of daily consumption, pulegone exposure from vape pods are significantly higher than exposure from cigarettes, with rates ranging from 44 to 1,608 times higher.

So much for Juul's best seller - menthol.
I thought vape juice was not supposed to contain any oil. That's what I have been told since the beginning. So now I have to worry that my chosen flavor, mint, is actually not good.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
So they're banning menthol cigarettes, just to be safe, right?:mad:

They've been trying to ban menthol in cigarettes for decades. Needless to say, BT did quite well at that and it's now grandfathered in. There continue to be lots of grumbles over that fact.

As to where e juice ingredient companies are getting it, same place as BT does.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015

There's that typical "is believed to cause....", commonly found in many of the scare reports, studies, etc.. Until there's scientific, longterm study that proves it...anyone can say anything "is believed to cause...." whatever :facepalm:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
I do wonder what "high enough quantities" are. I have little faith in these studies at this time.

I do know that the current lung issues aren't related to menthol or mint unless someone used actual oil. This seems to be a convenient time to pile on with any contrived reason to include ecigs in the current crisis.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
By the way...these types of threads, (with a title that is stated as if it's factual), only serve to "stir the pot" more, IMO. We see this crap sensationalized all over the internet and on the news multiple times every day. Do we really need to see it here, too? Just my :2c: though. I'm going to just pass them by and hope that newbie vapers and old school vapers who've been "off the ECF grid" for awhile....will, too. They likely come to ECF to get the straight scoop on things. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
By the way...these types of threads, (with a title that is stated as if it's factual), only serve to "stir the pot" more, IMO. We see this crap sensationalized all over the internet and on the news multiple times every day. Do we really need to see it here, too? Just my :2c: though. I'm going to just pass them by and hope that newbie vapers and old school vapers who've been "off the ECF grid" for awhile....will, too. They likely come to ECF to get the straight scoop on things. :rolleyes:

I brought up this exact point years ago, and as usual got ignored. Supposed to be a "General Vaping Discussion" forum. At the moment all it seems to be focused on is BS. There should be a recyle bin for these threads as soon as they are posted. Somewhere at the bottom of the forums list. It's a bit like some passer by placing regular household trash in your paper recyle bin.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: sonicbomb

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
I ran out of steam with these "studies" in 1969 when Sodium Cyclamates were found to be cancer causing and banned. Mice consumed a human equivalent of 550 cans of soda per day and some mice developed bladder cancer, cyclamates were banned in 1970 - great blow to diabetics in the USA. It was a superior artificial sweetener. Subsequent studies failed to replicate the results of the original study but cyclamates remained banned. Many countries did not follow suit but our federal officials cared so much for us that even the thought of bladder cancer was too much for them.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
It's not so bad having it upfront. The information posted by members here has been generally accurate and useful. It's nice for a new vaper, or an old one who's been away for a while to find a bunch of threads to clarify the nonsense in the news and provide insight so they make intelligent choices.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
I ran out of steam with these "studies" in 1969 when Sodium Cyclamates were found to be cancer causing and banned. Mice consumed a human equivalent of 550 cans of soda per day and some mice developed bladder cancer, cyclamates were banned in 1970 - great blow to diabetics in the USA. It was a superior artificial sweetener. Subsequent studies failed to replicate the results of the original study but cyclamates remained banned. Many countries did not follow suit but our federal officials cared so much for us that even the thought of bladder cancer was too much for them.

If it's not the government it'll be tort attorneys. They killed fen/phen for weight reduction with class actions suits and reasonable scientific evidence subsequently demonstrated there was no relation between the drug combo and the illness it was supposedly causing. Johnson's Baby Powder is now under assault for causing ovarian cancer with weak evidence based upon the possibility heavy use will result in it entering a woman's reproductive system and end up all the way up to the ovaries and cause cancer. Ovarian cancer is terrible, and no woman should have to ever develop it, but trying to tie in "heavy talc users" as being at higher risk remains a real controversy. Just google Johnson's Baby Powder and cancer and these are the first links you will get.

baby powder lawsuit.JPG

Most of those are ads. That's big legal business right there. And the case is settled because the risks at trials are worse than paying the $500 million dollars, of which those attorneys are getting one big chunk of money from. So you can get a big bull's eye drawn on your back from lots of directions these days.. And vaping is getting it from both sides right now. There are already individual lawsuits. I guarantee the those the law firms above going will be going after Juul in class action suits for every single vaping related injury or death, regardless of really vaping related, or even Juul related, and with a public record of $16 Billion in the bank there's no doubt those lawyers are looking for a settlement because it will be cheaper to pay them off for a billion or tow than let it drag out.

• Agree
Reactions: ceeceeisme

CMD-Ky

Highly Esteemed Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
KY
If I expressed my thoughts on class action tort lawyers, the former American Association of Trial Lawyers now the oddly named the American Association for Justice (people began rightly to despise trial lawyers hence the name change, who could oppose "justice"), then @classwife would be in here. I would no longer be seen or heard from. For some that may be a blessed relief and are now hoping and praying that I do not restrain myself. But I am going to frustrate those malcontents and show restraint.

If it's not the government it'll be tort attorneys. They killed fen/phen for weight reduction with class actions suits and reasonable scientific evidence subsequently demonstrated there was no relation between the drug combo and the illness it was supposedly causing. Johnson's Baby Powder is now under assault for causing ovarian cancer with weak evidence based upon the possibility heavy use will result in it entering a woman's reproductive system and end up all the way up to the ovaries and cause cancer. Ovarian cancer is terrible, and no woman should have to ever develop it, but trying to tie in "heavy talc users" as being at higher risk remains a real controversy. Just google Johnson's Baby Powder and cancer and these are the first links you will get.

View attachment 838923

Most of those are ads. That's big legal business right there. And the case is settled because the risks at trials are worse than paying the $500 million dollars, of which those attorneys are getting one big chunk of money from. So you can get a big bull's eye drawn on your back from lots of directions these days.. And vaping is getting it from both sides right now. There are already individual lawsuits. I guarantee the those the law firms above going will be going after Juul in class action suits for every single vaping related injury or death, regardless of really vaping related, or even Juul related, and with a public record of $16 Billion in the bank there's no doubt those lawyers are looking for a settlement because it will be cheaper to pay them off for a billion or tow than let it drag out.

Last edited:

HigherStateD

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2019
Phoenixville, PA, U.S. of A.
I put that in my juice intentionally, will I die?
According to the statistics, I believe that you and I will both die, eventually. Wether or not our DHMO use has anything to do with that remains to be seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread