Not open for further replies.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
Well, yes and no.

They do protect you from shorts doing damage to the battery since they check for that (and won't fire below a certain resistance), but that is a function of any coil (particularly hand built ones), not just ones that are subohm.

They also typically have a shutoff that prevents firing the unit for more than 10-15 seconds (depending on the unit). This helps avoid damage from accidental firing in, say, your pocket. Along with this, they won't fire once the batteries are lower than a certain voltage, thus preventing overdraining the bats.

What they don't do is protect you from dry hits, burnt wicks, and harsh hits - that's up to you. The newer DNA40 units with temp control (you have to use NI200 coils) can let you avoid actual burning, but nothing will stop you from drying out the wicks and the attendant yuck that follows.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the response! So I could build a .20 ohm build and fire it up to 100watts with 2 vtc4 batteries and feel safe?

I think you're referring to only battery safety John and that's safe in your example.

BTW, coil resistance doesn't matter in this case because battery current draw is affected only by watts set and battery voltage, with higher amp draw at lower volts, the opposite of the way mechanical mods work.

JohnRuck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
New Orleans
Thanks for the help guys! Much appreciated.

I posted this is another section of the forum last night with no response so I'll post it here too. I know I am asking a lot but I am just trying to vape safe and understand my device.

This is probably going to sound like a dumb question, but what am I looking at on my sigelei led screen? I understand what the battery %, and watts indicator means, and also what the ohm display means but what about the voltage part? How do I know how many amps are being used by my battery and because its 2 batteries do I cut the amps in half?

I just built a .20 ohm build (according to my ohm reader) (.1 according to the sigelei) messing around and AM NOT going to use it but lets just say I did use it and set the wattage on my sigelei to 40.0 . When entering the info in the ohms law calulator (Ohm's law | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators) for resistance I know i would put in 0.20, for wattage I would put 40.0 but what about voltage? would it be the 2.7 I am seeing on my screen? If so, it is showing my battery to be using 13.42 amps. That seems way to low for such a low low build. Is this correct? and would I divide the 13.42 amps in half because I am using TWO VTC4 batteries?

what does the 2.7 volts mean and how would this be different in a mech mod?

Hopefully someone can explain this. I know its a lot hahah

After researching a bunch, I hear people talk about how many volts is left on a battery and when to recharge it. The voltage meter on my led screen says 2.7 which is confusing to me because that seems to low.

Last edited:

fragger56

Feb 4, 2010
USA
IIRC the voltage display on a Sigeli should be showing the voltage the mod is providing to the atomiser, the way they work is they measure the resistance and then provide the voltage necessary to push the requested wattage through the coil, which at 0.2 ohms the voltage required for 40 watts is 2.7-2.8v.

The battery gauge symbol is what you should be looking at to determine if you need to charge your battery as IIRC the sigeli won't tell you what the exact battery voltage is, it just gives you the little battery indicator.

With a Sigeli the only thing you really need to worry about is using good batteries, like Sony VTC3/4/5 cells or Samsung 25r cells and taking care not to set your wattage too high for whatever build you are putting together.

BTW in a Sigeli the batteries are in series, which means you should keep them as a matched pair and swap their positions every time you change the batteries.
Also since it uses 2 batteries the load is shared across the two batteries.

Last edited:

JohnRuck

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2012
New Orleans
IIRC the voltage display on a Sigeli should be showing the voltage the mod is providing to the atomiser, the way they work is they measure the resistance and then provide the voltage necessary to push the requested wattage through the coil, which at 0.2 ohms the voltage required for 40 watts is 2.7-2.8v.

The battery gauge symbol is what you should be looking at to determine if you need to charge your battery as IIRC the sigeli won't tell you what the exact battery voltage is, it just gives you the little battery indicator.

With a Sigeli the only thing you really need to worry about is using good batteries, like Sony VTC3/4/5 cells or Samsung 25r cells and taking care not to set your wattage too high for whatever build you are putting together.

BTW in a Sigeli the batteries are in series, which means you should keep them as a matched pair and swap their positions every time you change the batteries.
Also since it uses 2 batteries the load is shared across the two batteries.

Thanks for the info! Very very helpful. I have not been keeping my batts as matched pairs. I only use vtc4's for low builds but have never swapped their position,etc. Will keep this in mind though.

Also, someone mentioned that the batts are in series meaning they do not share the load? If my coil is pulling 14 amps, that means the batts would each be using 14 amps, not 7 each. Is this correct?

fragger56

Feb 4, 2010
USA
the load is shared across the batteries, as you get total power (watts) from voltage x current, and since the 2 batteries are in series, the voltage is doubled, so you need half as much current as you would need at the lower voltage.

So for example, to get 20 watts you can either use 10 amps at 2 volts, or use 5 amps at 4 volts.

Also since the batteries are in series you should keep the batteries used in the Sigeli as a matched pair and swap the cells every charge cycle, as the battery "in front" is getting the current from the battery behind it as well as its own passed through it, this would cause one battery to heat up a bit more than the other during use, causing one to age faster than the other. Hence why you should swap the batteries around every time you charge them.

In any case, I'd suggest anyone dealing with low ohm builds and high power stuff to read up on electrical theory, like ohms law and the like, the basics are pretty simple and will keep you safe.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
the best thing about a regulated mod is that they dont need low ohms in the first place, you can build a 0.99ohm coil ( as we are on the sub-ohm page) and still push 100w through it if you want.

You have to go low ohms on a mech as the voltage is fixed from the battery.

Right on coolercoiler.

For anyone who wants to get a good handle on high power regulated vaping, I suggest you read this post from rusirius. It's some really good stuff :2cool:

fragger56

Feb 4, 2010
USA
the best thing about a regulated mod is that they dont need low ohms in the first place, you can build a 0.99ohm coil ( as we are on the sub-ohm page) and still push 100w through it if you want.
You have to go low ohms on a mech as the voltage is fixed from the battery.

Not completely true, you need to work within the voltage range of your device, which in the case of a Sigeli is about 8 volts, so in order to get 100 watts you would have to build a coil 0.6 ohms or less.

At 0.9 ohm you'd get about 72 watts max out of a sigeli.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread