• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

Sub ohm build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
dustysfoodieadventures.blogspot.ca
My AGA-T2 hates me..

Struggled with it last night trying to get it going with a wire rope wick and that damn top coil just would not stop shorting out. Round 1: AGA-T2.

Moved over to a DID, and had it going at 1.2 ohms in about 5 minutes. :facepalm:

Round 2: Tonight!

farmer_bric

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2011
Maberly, ON
My AGA-T2 hates me..

Struggled with it last night trying to get it going with a wire rope wick and that damn top coil just would not stop shorting out. Round 1: AGA-T2.

Moved over to a DID, and had it going at 1.2 ohms in about 5 minutes. :facepalm:

Funny ... my AGA-T2 loves me :) Well, actually I love it but think it's non-committal about our relationship!

I finally got around to building a coil for it, and after 3 blown attempts at pulse oxidizing the wick, I got it to work @ .92 ohms. I am simply astounded at the flavor it produces. I have been trying Juggie's Swedish pastry for over a year now, trying to get it to really shine. I have tried it with all sorts of combinations with fruits, sensed something nice, but never with quite enough flavor. Now I know why genesis users gush over the devices :)

I guess the only complaint that I have about the AGA is the draw. If I could combine the draw of an iClear30 with the flavor of the mesh coil, I'd be in vapor's heaven.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
I slapped a new head on my Protank and filled 'er up in under a minute. You guys are making FAR too much work outa this thing!
lolaway.gif

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I slapped a new head on my Protank and filled 'er up in under a minute. You guys are making FAR too much work outa this thing!
lolaway.gif

I've got my two ProTanks that keep me sane through the day, especially when I'm messing with the AGA-T2. :p

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've had a AGA-T2 for a couple of months now. I originally set it up using 34 G Kanthal and used it on my LT. Resistance was about 2.5 +- about 1.0 depending on the session and the short situation. Got the sorts dealt with one day just to have more happen the next day. Nothing I did got me a stable coil and even when I liked what was happening, it took too long to heat up for my taste. I never got to liking this setup at best any more than my Boge cartos in tanks.

Fast forward to a couple of weeks ago. Enter a K100 (also got a GGTS clone, but have been working with the K100 almost exclusively), a couple of MNKE 18650 batts and a roll of 27 G Kanthal. Used the last SS 400 mesh wick I made and rolled a 5/4 coil in the AGA measuring between 0.7 and 0.8 ohms. It took me about 4 minutes of pulsing the power to have the whole coil lighting up. The vape was a completely new experience for me. Almost instant power with a fresh battery but no burning as long as I kept the PV tilted. I drilled out the air hole to 1.25 mm (0.05") and that gave me the flavor and vapor I wanted. With a battery at about 3.7 volts it's more controlled and a bit slower to heat up but still a very satisfactory vape IMO. I did let the battery go down to under 3 volts by mistake once, so I've gotten more careful with that.

At first I thought it was just luck that I had got a stable system with the new setup. I never did get any shorts that I knew of through those two weeks. I dry burned the first coil twice but that was not often enough. Using a dark DIY juice that's really come into it's own with this setup and ended up really gunking up the coil. I had to make a new coil tonight and it went the same as the first time, very easy setup, hot spots worked out quickly and it's vaping away like I expected it to. I still need to figure out how to make wicks that move juice faster but there is a lot of info on that on ECF.

I'm also thinking it's still a bit early to be sure that I'm on the right path, but it seems promising right now.

XCypher

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2012
Ottawa, ON
My AGA-T2 hates me..

Why shorting out? i don't let the wick touch bottom but other than that the wick is snug in the hole with a slight lean to positive.

Vapo_Dave

Verified Member
Feb 12, 2013
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
Why shorting out? i don't let the wick touch bottom but other than that the wick is snug in the hole with a slight lean to positive.

The wick hole walls are at the same potential as the bottom so it’s still a short once the coil is wrapped on the wick from positive to negative poles without enough carbon buildup.

The AGA-T2 suffers from non-uniform geometry between the negative to coil vs positive to coil distances.
The exaggerated lean necessary to correct this difference often puts extra tension on the wick where the coil touches it ‘cutting” into the carbon creating the short and consequently stopping the flow of electrons creating the hot leg.

Given this I just tossed my AGA’s and stick with the DID’s or the RSST that both set up consistently in minutes. It’s just not worth the frustration for me.

BTW. The mini DID for 15 bucks is a flavor monster because of the small overall volume under the hood and after boring out the wick hole it’s significantly improved.

XCypher

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2012
Ottawa, ON
Fair enough Dave. I haven't really ran into said issue and I use the pulse method for setting up my coil with very minimal torching to the mesh, basicly to get off any contaminants. Also I agree with the overall air volume too as i find the aga on the airy side with stock air hole but thats cause i've been used to a vivi nova's top coil rocking at 9 watts.

Donovan69

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
Thank God for you tube!!! I watched a bunchy of Grimm Green when I started vaping. Then Pbusardo. And now alot of Todds reviews. So when I did my first build on the aga t + V2 (which I thought was an aga t2, found out the t2 has an extra screw n hole in it) My build came out at 1.4 ohms. (using 32 guage Kanthal) I quickly worked out the hot spots and it vaped like a dream. The next day I rebuilt it. came out 1.2 ohms...oh oh no more using on the vamo...had to use my bolt (with my kick out). Now I tend to wrap pretty consistantly 1.4 ohm coils. I like to use on my vamo at 9 watts....it's just a superior vaping experience. (for me so far) I did get a smoktech telescope but I am vaping the igo-s on it with dual coils at .7 ohms. Wow there is so much groovy info out there I can't stop learning about it all. Cigarettes suck vaping rocks!!

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
I dont understand the question?

reasoning for sub ohm coils...
<--- see avatar

Dusty, did you have time to play with the freshly wrapped coils?

No! except for the AGA.. which I've found gets a bit HOT with the wire rope wick. :)

None of my builds are sub-ohm though, so they don't apply to this thread. :D

Dusty_D

Original Guru
Senior Moderator
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2010
Toronto, Canada
yeah i thought the heat soak from the wire rope was going to be an issue....

P.S. your other dripper is ready ala BuzzKilla stylez :2cool:

It's already in my hands. K-Rad and I met for lunch at the St. Lawrence Market. Had an AWESOME Veal Sandwich! :)

Thanks buddy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread