Sub ohm nic salts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
Been vaping for smoking cessation. Making minor progress but still not ready to drop the analogs completely. My nic addiction is hard to satisfy. I love the vape. I get great flavor and enjoy the hobby aspect of it. I need to vape low nic 3mg due to throat irritation. I do not quite understand this as I smoke Camel straights. So now I hear about nic salts. I do some research and learn that they are used in low wattage high ohm kits. Everything I have been reading indicates that sub ohm nic salts would be an uncomfortable or even impossible experience. So lay it on me. What do you know? Anna if I read correctly you sub ohm nic salts. Looking forward to many responses to my posts.

Reactions: stols001

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
The nic salts used in low wattage high ohm pods is 5% or 50 mg nic usually. The salts are used to cut the throat hit from it while delivering high nic with low volume vape.

You can use nic salt in subohm just like freebase nic. Just mix it as 3 mg or 6 mg or whatever you normally use. The premade nic salts from companies such as Naked 100 are generally only available in the range of 35 to 50 mg. Not a good idea to subohm those.

There is also WTA, whole tobacco alkaloids that many say cut tobacco craving. You might want to look into that

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
The nic salts used in low wattage high ohm pods is 5% or 50 mg nic usually. The salts are used to cut the throat hit from it while delivering high nic with low volume vape.

You can use nic salt in subohm just like freebase nic. Just mix it as 3 mg or 6 mg or whatever you normally use. The premade nic salts from companies such as Naked 100 are generally only available in the range of 35 to 50 mg. Not a good idea to subohm those.

There is also WTA, whole tobacco alkaloids that many say cut tobacco craving. You might want to look into that
I mix most of the juice I use myself so diy nic salts would be a viable option. If I can not only tolerate it but enjoy it as well I would be inclinefto increase my nic concentration to help me ditch those nasty analogs completely. Thanks.

Reactions: Letitia

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I DIY at 18 mg/ml but it's a mouth to lung vape. If you are nicotine sensitive you can certainly use nic salts in your sub0hm vape. If you think 6 mg/ml might be better but you can't tolerate more nic "throat hit" you could either use all nic salts, or add 3 mg/ml to your existing juices, if you find 3 mg of freebase manageable. If that's too much, then I'd say try all nic salts.

The only issue you may run into is that it's hard to buy "nic salt juices" in a low PG and even low nic strength, so if you don't want to go hog wild on DIY, you may want to get your regular juices with 0 nic, and just add the nic salts to them directly, then you won't have to mess about with DIY. If DIY looks fun though, you could start from scratch, and maybe get some "one shot" flavoring which is designed to be shaken and vaped, and you'd just have to figure out what "percentage" of flavoring works for you. You can also get single flavors and experiment with them too, as you are using the one shots.

But if you are nic sensitive, there is certainly no risk as far as using them sub0hm, you just need the right nicotine level for your setup. It may be good to keep an eye out for nic overload in the beginning especially if raising your nic level as some reports indicate nic salts can be more bioavailable more quickly. I didn't notice much difference personally, but I was just moving straight from freebase to nic salts at the same percentage.

I like nic salts a lot, mainly my throat does but there are other advantages, including the possibility that they store better, for longer, without nicotine degradation.

I got mine from Nic River and I do recommend them. They are pricey, but excellent. A lot of vendors will send a small sample for the cost of shipping, so it might be a good way to test them out.

Best of luck. I like them and I think there's a good possibility that they may solve your problems, as it were. I think the idea of WTA is a good one as well..

Hope any of this was helpful! Best of luck,

Anna

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
I DIY at 18 mg/ml but it's a mouth to lung vape. If you are nicotine sensitive you can certainly use nic salts in your sub0hm vape. If you think 6 mg/ml might be better but you can't tolerate more nic "throat hit" you could either use all nic salts, or add 3 mg/ml to your existing juices, if you find 3 mg of freebase manageable. If that's too much, then I'd say try all nic salts.

The only issue you may run into is that it's hard to buy "nic salt juices" in a low PG and even low nic strength, so if you don't want to go hog wild on DIY, you may want to get your regular juices with 0 nic, and just add the nic salts to them directly, then you won't have to mess about with DIY. If DIY looks fun though, you could start from scratch, and maybe get some "one shot" flavoring which is designed to be shaken and vaped, and you'd just have to figure out what "percentage" of flavoring works for you. You can also get single flavors and experiment with them too, as you are using the one shots.

But if you are nic sensitive, there is certainly no risk as far as using them sub0hm, you just need the right nicotine level for your setup. It may be good to keep an eye out for nic overload in the beginning especially if raising your nic level as some reports indicate nic salts can be more bioavailable more quickly. I didn't notice much difference personally, but I was just moving straight from freebase to nic salts at the same percentage.

I like nic salts a lot, mainly my throat does but there are other advantages, including the possibility that they store better, for longer, without nicotine degradation.

I got mine from Nic River and I do recommend them. They are pricey, but excellent. A lot of vendors will send a small sample for the cost of shipping, so it might be a good way to test them out.

Best of luck. I like them and I think there's a good possibility that they may solve your problems, as it were. I think the idea of WTA is a good one as well..

Hope any of this was helpful! Best of luck,

Anna
Very helpfull I mix from scratch as it is so using salts in substitution for my freebase in easy. Ideally I would like to be able to vape an amount of nic equivalent to an anolog in about a mil of liquid. Did I say that right? I need to satisfy my nic needs to stop using the stinkies. Thank you vape Jedi.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
There is anywhere from 6 to 20 mg of nicotine in a cigarette depending on the cigarette. Of course no where near all of that is actually absorbed. But putting 6 mg or 20 mg will not equal the same as a cigarette. The nicotine is absorbed differently in vaping than in smoking.

There are also thousands of other chemicals in cigarette smoke that are missing from vape. Some of them are addictive as well.

When I stopped smoking cold turkey for vaping only, it took at least a month to detox from the smoking maybe longer and It took that long to stop craving cigarettes.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Honestly, now is not the time to be trying to "measure" your eliquid in that fashion. As Beamsider pointed out, the amount of nic in cigarettes varies, and the amount of nicotine you absorb when vaping compared to smoking makes a difference as well.

Also, yes, you ARE detoxing off a million things, and most new vapers chain vape a bit. Unless you get nic sick (and you will get symptoms of that: fatigue yawning, headaches, dizziness nausea and possibly hiccups, long before the point of nicotine "danger" is a sign to put down the vape. If you want to vape less at some point, well, lots of folks have achieved that, but perhaps a bit further down the line. If I had tried to "match" my "nic" to my "cigarette consumption" I probably would have gone nuts trying to keep track of it.

I would say vape as much as you need to right now to give you a feeling of "satisfaction" and if you DIY you can also vary the strength of your nicotine.

I detoxed using WTA (whole tobacco alkaloids) and even then, I had to detox from tar and a jillion other things (whole tobacco alkaloid juices contain parts of the tobacco plant that increase satisfaction and often decrease anxiety and they can be good for detox-- if you get interested, two makers include Aroma (kind of the gold standard) and Umbavapes (less pricy, I like them, some users have indicated less satisfaction with them. Keep in mind that WTA doesn't work for everyone and doesn't kill off ALL detox symptoms though it can ease some). In any case, WTA may help you, or just vaping more nicotine.

But, I wouldn't expect to feel "100%" for a while or have all cravings be gone, necessarily, right from the start. There are those "magical unicorn" vapers who take their first puff and never think about cigarettes again. I was not one of them.

I'd say keep the focus on quitting, not just the "right" amount of nicotine, necessarily. Anything you calculate will be a sort of estimate at best and everyone reacts to vaping differently. Setting yourself the additional hurdle of "I must vape X milligrams of eliquid" seems a bit much to me. By all means, you can do that and achieve it (or better even there are vapers who have successfully quit vaping entirely).

I'm just not sure that right this second is the time to do it, if you know what I mean. Just ease up on "I should vape X amount" for a bit, your body and brain have plenty going on as it is, and most vapers will naturally "decrease" the amount they vape as they continue vaping and detox fades away in the rear view mirror. Etc.

Anna

gpjoe

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2013
Up North

This.

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
There is anywhere from 6 to 20 mg of nicotine in a cigarette depending on the cigarette. Of course no where near all of that is actually absorbed. But putting 6 mg or 20 mg will not equal the same as a cigarette. The nicotine is absorbed differently in vaping than in smoking.

There are also thousands of other chemicals in cigarette smoke that are missing from vape. Some of them are addictive as well.

When I stopped smoking cold turkey for vaping only, it took at least a month to detox from the smoking maybe longer and It took that long to stop craving cigarettes.
Oh joy. Why couldn't you tell me this little fairy came along and waved her magic wand and poof all of a sudden I'm not an analog smoker. I know it's not going to be easy but I did quit once vaping in 2011. I used a Titan tornado by Totally Wicked with little plastic compartment at the tip that held your juice. I was able to vape 36 mg tobacco flavored juices at that point. I can do nowhere near that since I've started back up in the sub ohm category apparently with age as well I become much more sensitive. But I smoked non-filtered camels. I know there's so many more chemicals and carcinogens in cigarettes than there are in Vape maybe it's those that I am feeling the need for?

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
That 1.7 mg is based on the yield of the cigarette. Which is the amount found in the smoke generated not actual nic content of cigarette. NIH says the cigarettes they tested contained between 6 mg and 28 mg. A machine is used to take puffs and nicotine in smoke tested for the yield

RigBick

ECF Veteran
Mar 29, 2018
Clearwater, Fl
That 1.7 mg is based on the yield of the cigarette. Which is the amount found in the smoke generated not actual nic content of cigarette. NIH says the cigarettes they tested contained between 6 mg and 28 mg. A machine is used to take puffs and nicotine in smoke tested for the yield
All I can say is and I appreciate all of the advice. I need to increase my satisfaction level from vaping in order to transition away from the analogs. Yes perhaps my willpower it's not up to this particular task and I will probably never stopped vaping even if I continue with the analogs. I am just at a point where I would really like to be a bit healthier. I know all this sounds perhaps all the ridiculous but I want my cake and I want to eat it too

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
All I can say is and I appreciate all of the advice. I need to increase my satisfaction level from vaping in order to transition away from the analogs. Yes perhaps my willpower it's not up to this particular task and I will probably never stopped vaping even if I continue with the analogs. I am just at a point where I would really like to be a bit healthier. I know all this sounds perhaps all the ridiculous but I want my cake and I want to eat it too
You can have both. The ball is always in your court.

• Agree

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Stopping dual use is always a possibility. When and where it will happen is totally up to you. I will say, I was surprised at some studies showing that dual use really doesn't offer much benefit compared to just vaping. So, it is a worthwhile endeavor, and it's up to you when you take the plunge.

I find it hard to believe that reducing cigs doesn't reduce some harm, I'm just not sure how much.

I will say, before quitting THIS time, I'd encountered vapes probably about 7 years ago. And studies also say that the more you vape, and the longer you vape, the more likely it is to transition to vaping alone. So, your strategy to keep vaping is a valuable one.

I wish you luck in your endeavors. :)

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Letitia

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
I need to increase my satisfaction level from vaping in order to transition away from the analogs.
This is only my opinion, but.... (;))

We are all different, and therefore it makes sense that we can have different triggers too. I have heard others mention, and/or experienced, all the following "needs/triggers":
--Nicotine replacement. The most commonly thought of need. For me; getting enough (at the start) was an important factor.
--Whole Tobacco Alkaloid (WTAs) replacement . All about getting that "extra" nicotine alone can't do.
--Throat Hit (TH) replacement. For some, getting that mild irritation (sometimes described as "peppery") in the back of the throat and/or sinuses, is helpful to vape satisfaction. E-liquid composition (PG/VG ratios, and specific ingredients) as well as hardware selection and setup can influence TH.
-- Lung/chest hit replacement. This was my own "silver bullet" for quitting. I had tried quitting multiple times, and even tried vaping once before, and I had made myself nic sick (using chew, patches, and gum), but still found myself jonesing for cigarettes. It was only when another vaper let me take a hit of a more advanced (for its day) setup; that I finally found the dense, heavy, warmth, deep down in my lungs, that I didn't even know I had been craving. Again; hardware, setup, and e-liquid selection can all play a part.
--Flavor replacement. Some find they need something similar/familiar to the tobacco they smoked. Others find sweets, or fruits, to be instrumental. I found I needed something more neutral and mint became my ticket.
-- Hand-to-mouth activity replacement. For some, it is all about the repetitive action of smoking; and finding something that provided the same feel/activity was helpful/comforting. "What is the right amount of fiddling" might be something to think about to. Too much (constant dripping, battery changes, rebuilding) could be obnoxious, instead of therapeutic, for some. Smaller, simpler, lighter, pod system may be a better fit for certain folks.
--Convenience. Some find the hassle of spare batteries, extra coils, refill bottles, and all the other "stuff" to be off-putting. Others don't mind, or even enjoy, the addition of the "hobby" aspect of certain vaping styles. For those folks, don't like all the extra tinkering; pod systems, or cig-a-likes can be a better fit.

So, the magic comes from finding what combination satisfies your particular needs. As the others have said; any cigarette you don't smoke has to be a better choice for you.

When I finally quit (thanks to vaping), I did not give myself the ultimatum of "never smoking again." In fact, I even kept my last open pack of smokes, and tried smoking a few of them, over the first 18 months or so. I was only hoping to offset the rising cost of smoking. But, it was find that "right combination" for me, that made quitting seem almost natural.

Instead, (like some of the others mentioned) when I was craving a cigarette, I would tell myself "I am not going to go smoke this very minute. I can hold off for 10 more minutes. If I still want a smoke in 10 minutes; then I will go have one." And it almost always worked! Usually, I would get distracted by something else, and/or the vaping would carry me over that hump, and I would forget about smoking... until the next craving. Then I would repeat the process.

The few times it wasn't enough, I smoked without guilt, and found I really wasn't enjoying it. It tasted gross. I felt gross. And, I smelled gross (for hours)! I focused on all those negatives, and tried to really fix them in my mind, and then used those memories the next time cravings hit. It helped reinforce that I was becoming an ex-smoker.

The final cigarette I ever smoked, I was absolutely revolted, just lighting it up. I couldn't even take a drag (though, coming from an 18 month-old stale pack of smokes, may have had something to do with it;)). I knew I was done. I crumpled up the rest of the pack; and have never tried again.

Don't give up, don't beat yourself up for smoking, and keep trying different things. With enough patience you will find your own perfect combination.
I wish you success; and all the best!:D:toast::D

Coyote628

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
Sep 16, 2017
I mix most of the juice I use myself so diy nic salts would be a viable option. If I can not only tolerate it but enjoy it as well I would be inclinefto increase my nic concentration to help me ditch those nasty analogs completely. Thanks.
I got my nic salts from nicotine river. It comes in at 48mg/ml so it must be diluted, of course. I like it personally. I mix at 6mg per and have contemplated going as high as 12mg. I sub ohm anywhere from .15 to .45, depending on the wire i build with and the type of coils i make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread