Sub ohm questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2017
Hello! Just as a tiny bit of back story, I recently quit smoking cigarettes after 10 plus years of smoking when I discovered the little Juul device. I eventually switched to the icare mini after going on endless pod searches sometimes resulting in spending $25 a pack

A friend of mine recently showed me his smok al85, and I have to say I'm very interested in purchasing one of these. The size is perfect and aside from not understanding the menu options, it seems like a good mod to start with. Obviously hearing all of the horror stories with mods this past few years, I'm going in a little skeptical, and that may just be due to my own ignorance with this kind of stuff, but I was wondering if anybody here could help me with my concerns.

Is the smok al85 a safe device? And i know it comes with both a .4 and .6 coil but wouldnt these technically fall under sub ohm vaping which I've heard is where a lot of the problems come from?

If anyone has any answers or advice at all I'd be more than appreciative!

batteredwombat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015
I commend you on stopping the juul system as it is not safe with the nicotine salts. As far as the Smok al85, I do not think it will blow up in your face. All regulated mods have a basic knowledge to not over exert the amps (someone electrically knowledgeable back me, or counter). These precautions are not build into it with complexity, but rather a kill switch or fuse if you decide to test it. Lets not get into pulse amps of batteries please as I am aware of that and is still not safe practice (only if you can count seconds accurately and heat and do math from there).

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
The problems you hear about e-cigs in the news are almost entirely due to mechanical, unregulated devices which have a relatively higher rate of failure because their safety depends entirely on user knowledge and ability.

As has been noted, the AL85 is a regulated device.

This is not to say all mechanical devices fail or that regulated devices cannot; far from it.

But all modern regulated devices have safety features that full-mechanical devices simply do not have. Mechanical devices are largely safe in the right hands, and some partial-mechanical or unregulated devices do have certain protections; typically the protections in a modern regulated device will be more numerous and advanced.

The AL85 is a Chinese-made device, and so are many other inexpensive ones that you'd likely be interested in as a starter mod. There is always the potential for Quality Control issues, but if the mod works correctly-- and most will-- you'll be fine. The key is to buy it from a vendor who has a decent warranty for exchanges and will honor it should anything go wrong.

My only concern about the AL85 is its lack of battery vent holes, but this is also not as much of a dealbreaker for me for a variety of reasons, not worth getting into right now. I do have an 85 myself. What is important is if you get a mod like this to be sure you get a good battery. Tell us if you're going to pull the trigger and we will recommend a few and reputable places to buy them. This is vital. Basically use Illumination Supply, Liion Wholesale, or IMR Batteries and for a single battery device that does 85W, go for a Sony VTC5A or LG HD2. There might be one more similar battery I'm not thinking of.

Last edited:
Jun 9, 2017
Thank you guys so much for the answers! That makes me feel a lot better haha. As for the battery vent holes, I did see somebody comment on this in a video but disregarded it due to being such a low powered device/ battery or something like that, if that's sort of what you were saying.

I definitely think that this is the mod I'm going to end up getting. There's a store where I live that everyone around here goes, when my friend picked up a battery a few days ago all I remember the guy asking is if he wanted the cheaper of more expensive battery. Would it be worth it to ask them for brand names etc?

And with all the modes and settings on the al85 is the safest option to just use the .6 coil and keep it on watt mode?

Thanks again!

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Hello! Just as a tiny bit of back story, I recently quit smoking cigarettes after 10 plus years of smoking when I discovered the little Juul device. I eventually switched to the icare mini after going on endless pod searches sometimes resulting in spending $25 a pack

A friend of mine recently showed me his Smok al85, and I have to say I'm very interested in purchasing one of these. The size is perfect and aside from not understanding the menu options, it seems like a good mod to start with. Obviously hearing all of the horror stories with mods this past few years, I'm going in a little skeptical, and that may just be due to my own ignorance with this kind of stuff, but I was wondering if anybody here could help me with my concerns.

Is the Smok al85 a safe device? And i know it comes with both a .4 and .6 coil but wouldnt these technically fall under sub ohm vaping which I've heard is where a lot of the problems come from?

The Smok al85 is nothing new, just the SMOK version/copying of the Eleaf Pico...

It's a regulated mod that can take the smaller tanks.

You need to understand that there's a difference for kits, which are mods (the battery and control units) and the tanks themselves.

You can switch from mod to mod and tank to tank as they are all (with a few exceptions related mostly to size) cross compatible.

The beauty of these more advance setups is just that... that if you love the mod but want to try different tanks, you can (as long as it fits) and if you love a tank but want to try other mods, you can do that to. They all follow the "510 pin" connector design that's become the standard for all vaping devices like this.

For the resistance (the ohms), that's the coil that's inside the tank.

Sub-ohm simply means that the coil has a very low resistance, so it heats up faster... nothing more.

Where the "danger" is, is that if the resistance is too low (usually under 0.2ohms) it can overload the batteries as it requires more amperes from the batteries, but with regulated mods, you have protections against this.

So the only concern really is that as long as you have decent batteries, have coils over 0.2ohms, there's not really anything to worry about with a regulated mod.

A mechanical mod on the other hand has no protection at all so you have to know all about ohm's law, know the capacity of your batteries, etc.

Since this is a regulated mod, the tank is probably the baby beast, which takes factory coils that are designed to function at a safe range for this mod, so there's really not much to worry about.

I have more info about various things in my blog if you're interested. (click on my name to get the link).

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
if the battery vent holes are pointed towards your face dont buy it
Good advice...

But even better.. don't buy crap batteries, stick to real brands (LG, Sony, Samsung, and Panasonic/Sanyo).

The rest are nothing but rewraps or unreliable with made up specs.

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
Thank you guys so much for the answers! That makes me feel a lot better haha. As for the battery vent holes, I did see somebody comment on this in a video but disregarded it due to being such a low powered device/ battery or something like that, if that's sort of what you were saying.

I definitely think that this is the mod I'm going to end up getting. There's a store where I live that everyone around here goes, when my friend picked up a battery a few days ago all I remember the guy asking is if he wanted the cheaper of more expensive battery. Would it be worth it to ask them for brand names etc?

And with all the modes and settings on the al85 is the safest option to just use the .6 coil and keep it on watt mode?

Thanks again!

Just saw your question, see my blog about batteries or my previous post I just did about batteries... always get real brands.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona

A friend of mine recently showed me his Smok al85, and I have to say I'm very interested in purchasing one of these. The size is perfect and aside from not understanding the menu options, it seems like a good mod to start with. Obviously hearing all of the horror stories with mods this past few years, I'm going in a little skeptical, and that may just be due to my own ignorance with this kind of stuff, but I was wondering if anybody here could help me with my concerns.

Is the Smok al85 a safe device? And i know it comes with both a .4 and .6 coil but wouldnt these technically fall under sub ohm vaping which I've heard is where a lot of the problems come from?

A lot of the exploding mods are caused by people sub ohmimg on a Mechanical mod.

.25 ohms us safe up to 50-60 Watts.

I hate mech mods. I use regulated mods exclusively

Tonee N

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2017
Nevada
A lot of the exploding mods are caused by people sub ohmimg on a Mechanical mod.

.25 ohms us safe up to 50-60 Watts.

I hate mech mods. I use regulated mods exclusively
A lot of exploding batteries are OPERATIONAL ERROR.[emoji106]
They are not friendly with car keys, spare change, direct sunlight. You do not store them in a battery charger, in your carry on luggage, aboard an aircraft.

It seems that society wants everything built stupid proof so they cannot be blamed for any consequences of their own negligence.
It may take a village to raise an idiot but as long as the village wasn't raised by an idiot.
(Sorry, didn't mean to offend or rant, batteries are inanimate)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Regulated 'power' mods are safe enough.

Juul is a niche product appearing to be some sort of vaping solution to a problem that never existed and is an excruciating example of big business fooling the market with some help from traitors in the e-cigarette community.

Smok was bad but now they are the trail blazers.

Today I am your monochromatic friend (a Zebra, according to the film Madagascar) and there is only black & white opinion.
I lost the phone number for my therapist. :eek:

Reactions: Continuity

Simar Sidhu

Moved On
Jun 1, 2017
  • Deleted by retired1

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

Thanks again!

Don't get batteries from your local vape shop. You don't know where they are buying them from, whether or not they are buying authentic batteries, or even good ones..

Like @ddirtyvapes said, go somewhere like liion wholesale Liion Wholesale Batteries | Li-ion battery distributor .. they are good.

And like they said, you need something like the vtc5 Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum

+1 for @ddirtyvapes

Imfallen_Angel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 10, 2016
Ottawa area, Canada
I have seen a regulated mod vent a battery before. It's on the forum here. Battery partially came out of a magnet door and shorted hot to neutral as it was partially leaning out. I was able to stop it, but it had a chance to get stinky. I tossed the battery out.

I had one battery vent as I was inserting it into my mod, the wrap caught on the pin and ripped, and then caused a contact/short... I saw a bad spark, pulled the ribbon right away, saw the pressure venting out of the battery.

The battery was disposed of properly and my poor mod was damaged (the board) and died shortly after.

But that's to say that it was not the mod's fault, there was no malfunction, just very bad luck, and it taught me to have a lot of respect for these batteries and made me lots all about them and their safety.

But for a battery to simply vent or such in a regulated mod, the few times I've heard or seen it, it was either due to being a bad/cheap re-wrap or just a bad fluke with a faulty battery, or the mod malfunctioned. I had one such mod that started to autofire while it was on my desk behind me, I took the batteries out and sent the mod for replacement.

ddirtyvapes

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 23, 2011
Portland, ME
if the battery vent holes are pointed towards your face dont buy it. But please dont buy cheap battery as you do not know their chemistry, as they could be rewraps. They all act different to a thermal runaway or hard short (not that you should be worried)

The AL85 has no vent holes, period.

I have yet to hear of mass AL85 explosions, so whether or not this is something OP is comfortable with is a personal decision... but there are no vent holes pointing towards your face because there are no vent holes at all.

Tho it's not as if these Chinese mods are airtight...

batteredwombat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015

I have yet to hear of mass AL85 explosions, so whether or not this is something OP is comfortable with is a personal decision... but there are no vent holes pointing towards your face because there are no vent holes at all.

oh yeah the mass exploding al85 hahah, i think the only thing is exploding is ego

Reactions: ddirtyvapes

batteredwombat

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2015

If it does, play hot potatoe with your friends eh>?

Reactions: ddirtyvapes
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread