Sub Ohm - what's the hype about

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterJ555

Mar 5, 2016
Hi Guys,

I've been using cigalikes for a few months now, the njoy King. My brother recently got into Sub Ohm vaping and claims it gives him a much more satisfying vape experience. Can't really get though what's so much better about it apart from the huge clouds. Are there any new vapers here who started straight with sub ohm vapes instead of cigalikes?

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I started with a really crappy cigalike, and it just didn't cut it. Then I went to ego/clearo rigs, and they didn't cut it. Then I got a Kanger Protank, and that didn't cut it. I just wasn't getting a satisfying vape. I'd been a 2 1/2 pack a day smoker and I really needed more.

Then I got a mech and a genny, worked out how I needed to coil it for a vape I was satisfied with, and it transpired that a .7 ohm coil did it for me. This is not the case for everyone, many are happy with much higher resistance. It's really a matter of personal preference and individual vaping style.

Gatelyne

Mar 4, 2016
Hi Guys,

I've been using cigalikes for a few months now, the Njoy King. My brother recently got into Sub Ohm vaping and claims it gives him a much more satisfying vape experience. Can't really get though what's so much better about it apart from the huge clouds. Are there any new vapers here who started straight with sub ohm vapes instead of cigalikes?
Sub ohm is so much more satisfying IMHO. You get a much more physical feedback from your lungs, throat, and etc due to the huge clouds which really help curb those cig cravings(if that makes sense).

The main thing is educating yourself on safety with sub ohming (which is what I am in the process of doing hence why i joined this forum) and really knowing the ins and outs of your equipment.

I have been a member of this forum for less than 24 hours and the help and advice you get here is amazing! I'm sure the people here can answer every question you have.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
'Subohm' is just a different method of vaping.
There is no such thing as better or best, there is no right or wrong way to vape.

It is all a matter of personal preferences, they key is to find what works best for you & ignore those that cliam their way is better than your way.

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
'Subohm' is just a different method of vaping.
There is no such thing as better or best, there is no right or wrong way to vape.

This cannot be emphasized enough. If what you're using works for you and you like it, take whatever you hear as far as "this is better" with a grain of salt.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
From what information I gathered recently with Sub Ohm Vaping the clouds are the biggest reason many do it but in my opinion you should be experienced because you have the risk of damaging batteries, burning coils or your throat for that matter if you use it incorrectly. These are NOT facts just my opinions from information I have gathered like I said in the beginning. :2c:

Reactions: mauricem00

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
It's not about "better." It's about what works for you. If it's keeping you off the sticks, you're doing it right. There is no wrong way to vape. That said, some people like high-power, big-cloud, subohm vaping. Other people do not. You need to find what works for you and do that, without worrying about what other people think. If anybody tells you "this is better," they're either lying or know less about it than you do.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi Guys,

I've been using cigalikes for a few months now, the Njoy King. My brother recently got into Sub Ohm vaping and claims it gives him a much more satisfying vape experience. Can't really get though what's so much better about it apart from the huge clouds. Are there any new vapers here who started straight with sub ohm vapes instead of cigalikes?

subohm is becoming a slang term basically meaning big clouds.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
It's not about "better." It's about what works for you. If it's keeping you off the sticks, you're doing it right. There is no wrong way to vape.

I have to agree and disagree with that statement. In my opinion the wrong way to Vape is when the person has something like exposed batteries on a Hot Rod MOD like in a recent thread or exceeded safe recommended setting to achieve cumulus clouds.

Reactions: suprtrkr

Vaslovik

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Jul 5, 2013
I have to agree and disagree with that statement. In my opinion the wrong way to Vape is when the person has something like exposed batteries on a Hot Rod MOD like in a recent thread or exceeded safe recommended setting to achieve cumulus clouds.

Well granted that's not a good idea, but the subject being addressed is whether there is or should be a premium on vaping sub-ohm, and the hype surrounding that practice. Misuse of mechs is a side issue.

Reactions: David Wolf

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Ok, safety first. I won't argue.

Reactions: SteveS45

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
Cig-a-likes didn't work for me, both in satisfaction and nicotine. The costs were nothing short of extortion as well. Something that costs so much and is so dreadful at delivering nicotine won't find many supporters.

Most vapers don't sub-ohm; why not compare a well-working device that vapes at 8-15 watts to a cig-a-like and see what you think? There is 'life' in between the two, which is where the majority people are (except on forums).

For the most part, once you get some power (20w+) and airflow going on an e-cig mod/tank, you are kind of forced to declare it "sub-ohm" though strictly speaking there isn't an official 'line in the sand'. I use a lot of coils under 1.0ohm, but I rarely sub-ohm vape.

In the UK, there are cig-a-likes that cost (easily) $4,000 a year.
For $1,000 a year you can have a smart mod, lots of flavor and vapor and not have to live by a USB socket 24/7 to charge your placebo sticks.

If I met a previous 10/20-a-day smoker who was off the tobacco and was using a non-branded cig-a-like (being 25% the price of 'brand' e-cigs) I might not even mention there are other products out there. Not 'anti' either end of the vaping spectrum here.

:)

aldenf

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 26, 2014
NYC, NJ, USA
Before variably regulated APVs, the only way we had to adjust power was the resistance of the coil. With modern hardware, we can simply concentrate on the quality of the vape.

I started vaping on cigalikes. They were $10 each in a state where a pack of cheap analogs were $4. My two primary reasons for vaping were health and cost. The cigalikes were costing me more than cigarettes. The cigalikes were always unpredictable for me. Meaning, I always had to have a spare new one on me because I could never tell when what I was currently vaping was going to die on me. Besides, to me, most cigalikes taste as bad as analogs.

Use whatever works for you! It's simply about not smoking.

Good luck!

Reactions: djsvapour
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread