Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I have been looking for a regulated device that will allow me to fire builds below 0.1 in power mode.

I like to use Nichrome 80 or SS316L based fused claptons as my standard (kanthal irritates my throat). For the most part can get them to right at or above 0.1, but only after adding more wraps than I'd like and/or tweaking them on a parallel mech box first.

Once I saw the concept for the Alien Coil, I fell in love with attempting to make my own, which has still been unsuccessful, but even if I did neither my ipv4 or sig150 would fire them.

I know of two devices that will fire that low in power mode that I have been able to find, the Snow Wolf (down to 0.05) or any of the DNA200 powered devices. Both have somewhat higher pricetags retail, so I'm curious to see what else may be out there. I don't use temp control, so I'd prefer to keep my focus on devices with minimum resistance in vv/vw mode.

petrotech

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 9, 2015
indiana
If you like to tinker, maybe try to build your own box mod. I can't think of any regulated mods (besides the two you mentioned). Here's a link for the DNA 200 chip, and a quick Google search should pop up a number of sites with enclosures and wiring diagrams. Price point, I'm not so sure about. Building that low, I'd want to use the highest quality components I could afford. Good luck!

EVOLV - Home

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
If you like to tinker, maybe try to build your own box mod. I can't think of any regulated mods (besides the two you mentioned). Here's a link for the DNA 200 chip, and a quick Google search should pop up a number of sites with enclosures and wiring diagrams. Price point, I'm not so sure about. Building that low, I'd want to use the highest quality components I could afford. Good luck!

EVOLV - Home
Thanks for the info. I went through the "DIY build your own box" phase and, while it was fun, it was too much work. This was back when 100w devices were unheard of and I was running the raptor 20A/okl2/tdk lambda chips. Now, I'd much rather pay for what I know I want. At this point I'm settled between the two but have until after the holidays until I can free up budget for one. Why not just see what else may be out there until that happens :)

Reactions: petrotech

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I found out today that the Sigelei Fuchai 200TC fires down to 0.05ohm in power/ni/ti modes. New contender on the list since it's lower on the price range. DNA200 would be perfect for me. I've been eyeballing the Wismec Reuleaux DNA200 since it's release. Maybe if I wait long enough, the price will come down more lol.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
If you have a high power mod, there is quite literally no reason to build that low in non TC mode. Regulated devices free you from that constraint, low resistance coils are necessary for mechanical devices.
I understand your point. I use nichrome wire because of the irritation that kanthal causes me. My preferred builds are fused Claptons with nichrome or SS. I also have been trying to build alien wires which has triple parallel wire. They just happen to come out much lower. If they made a higher ohm wire in the gauges I like to use that didn't cause irritation, I'd use them.

Also, I do not enjoy the vapor production and warmth from standard coils anymore. This thread wasn't created for people to tell me I'm doing it wrong, just a survey of what is on the market.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Understood and agreed, multi-core claptons are inherently low resistance, ones using N80 especially so. Use a big RDA, and make the coils as big as possible to maximize your surface area. If you can get them big enough to raise your resistance above 0.1 ohm then your options for which mod to use open up.

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
Understood and agreed, multi-core claptons are inherently low resistance, ones using N80 especially so. Use a big RDA, and make the coils as big as possible to maximize your surface area. If you can get them big enough to raise your resistance above 0.1 ohm then your options for which mod to use open up.
Right now, I'm not having a problem with either of my devices or hardware. Just was toying with the idea of being able to do these more "artistic" builds that come in really low. I'm a born tinker-er, it's only natural for me lol. It does seem that the DNA200 may be the RIGHT choice for me, considering I have all the ni200/ti01/SS I could ever use sitting in a drawer.

Reactions: sonicbomb

slippkidd0129

Nov 7, 2013
Wilmington, NC
DNA 200W is right up your alley. The snow wolf will fire down to .05 with kanthal and even lower with ni200 but it will only fire in TC with nickel wire. Can't use ti01 or SS in temp mode on the snow wolf. I'm really liking the dna 200w RX too. But I've heard that some come with a different 200W chip in them and not the DNA 200w. Not sure if that's true or not...

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
DNA 200W is right up your alley. The snow wolf will fire down to .05 with kanthal and even lower with ni200 but it will only fire in TC with nickel wire. Can't use ti01 or SS in temp mode on the snow wolf. I'm really liking the dna 200w RX too. But I've heard that some come with a different 200W chip in them and not the DNA 200w. Not sure if that's true or not...
Wismec released the Reuleaux DNA200 version then recently released the RX200 version using a Joyetech chip. I've been looking at both. One for price (RX200) and the other for range of usability (DNA200).

EverPresentNoob

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2015
DC Metro area
I cant remember who but about a month ago I was talking to some one on here who was ordering a custom Hexohm box that was powered by the DNA200 board. Cant remember the price on it, but that may be an option for you. Honestly I would just build your own. I know you said you grew out of that phase, but that keeps the cost lower adn you can get exactly what you want. Theres a facebook group i believe DNA200 Modders that is dedicated to building the DNA devices...

Uncletattoowhat

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 21, 2014
Poquoson, VA
I cant remember who but about a month ago I was talking to some one on here who was ordering a custom Hexohm box that was powered by the DNA200 board. Cant remember the price on it, but that may be an option for you. Honestly I would just build your own. I know you said you grew out of that phase, but that keeps the cost lower adn you can get exactly what you want. Theres a facebook group i believe DNA200 Modders that is dedicated to building the DNA devices...
Oh I completely support the opinion. Its great in theory, but my experience, execution 9/10 times makes me just want to chuck the extra $60 over the cost of the chip to have a finished tested product. It was awesome to build a 120w/20A dual battery mod for ~$30 and labor back when there wasn't a market readily available. Once I saw the price of the DNA200 board, I knew i couldn't justify the labor cost and time away from my family to do so. Plus, the last 2 times I tried to solder in DNA chips, they were DNA40's and I bricked both of them somehow lol.

I will look into the Hexohm as an option though. I really liked the look of the Tugboat DNA200 too. Something about that splatter.. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread