Status
Not open for further replies.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Save the children! Tax it and ban it!
Surgeon General issues rare advisory calling for local taxes, indoor public vaping bans

Specifically, he asked officials to consider banning vaping indoors at public venues, making e-cigarettes more expensive through taxes and limiting access to flavored tobacco products by young people.
Also cites "kids don't know that Juul contains nicotine" pseudo-fact. (Like they can't feel it :rolleyes:) They lie on surveys. Duh.

I'll guess that most here have suspected for a long time that this "save the kids" shtick was geared toward taxation justification.

Read it and weep.
Controlling access is one thing, taxation is another. Not enough tobacco revenue I guess...

Last edited:

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
A young student is walking outside past the gynasium. Three students, senior to him are leaning up against the wall. Two have leather jackets on and are vaping.

They pass the e-cig to the young student and tell him, 'Try this.' The student takes a hit, says, 'Cool, man,' and walks on.

A week later in health class a questionaire is passed out. On the questionaire, it is asked, "Have you used e-cigarettes in the past 30 days?" The student responds, "Yes."

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
1) How is it that supposedly "2/3rds of kids don't know Juul contains nic"? Like they don't talk to each other?
2) How is that even a problem if true? Once they try it, they'd know immediately. You can FEEL nic, particularly if you're not a user. It's not like they'd get addicted without knowing that nic is there. I mean, they'd know....

It seems like there's still some "persistent 20%" of the population that gravitates toward nicotine. The survey said last year 11% have used it, now it's up to around 20% again. Still better for them than tobacco use though. But that level of nic use isn't any more "epidemic" than it was with smoking. And probably a hell of a lot easier to quit.

And like Cool_Breeze said above, I don't trust the numbers/results of these surveys. I'm wondering about the #'s for long term everyday use.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
How is it that supposedly "2/3rds of kids don't know Juul contains nic"? Like they don't talk to each other?
The only explanation I can think of is that they can't read.

juul-pods-4-pack-for-sale.jpg

Reactions: AttyPops

Zazie

ECF Guru? No!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 2, 2018
Maine, USA
I can easily believe that kids, having tried vaping, will like it more than they would have liked their first cigarette. But I'm mystified by the findings that kids who vape are more likely to start smoking. It seems to me that almost anyone who is used to vaping would find cigarettes just as revolting as most first-time smokers do. If they're desperate for nicotine and don't have access to vaping, sure, they'll take what they can get. But, having vaped, finding cigarettes preferable? Just doesn't make sense to me.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
I can easily believe that kids, having tried vaping, will like it more than they would have liked their first cigarette. But I'm mystified by the findings that kids who vape are more likely to start smoking. It seems to me that almost anyone who is used to vaping would find cigarettes just as revolting as most first-time smokers do. If they're desperate for nicotine and don't have access to vaping, sure, they'll take what they can get. But, having vaped, finding cigarettes preferable? Just doesn't make sense to me.
Right.
So to make their future transition easier, they restrict them to "tobacco flavors only". :rolleyes: (banning so-called kid-attractive flavors)

keelalagirl55

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2011
So "failed education system"? Yeah, more likely! ;) That or the survey/answers are B.S.

Only failed in our eyes....they are doing exactly as they intended....so to them, it's a complete success. Too many highly intelligent, the less likely they are to be manipulated and controlled...keep the vast majority dumb'd down and "they" lose no power of control, especially via manipulation *sigh

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    I'm in UK, but the things going on within the industry around the world looks pretty bad. We see what is happening in Aus, now the US shops are pushed to put "censored" stickers on the liquid bottles "do not attract kids" who are not even allowed to enter the stores btw. Now this story with the General.

Well, let’s see another article - it appears that mr. Surgeon General is not that independent in his thoughts as he has clear financial interests with Big Tobacco companies.

But still, let's save US kids from vaaaaaaping! (sarcasm)

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Altria just invested heavily in Juul.

What does that mean? Even more tax/price-hikes? Mystery chemicals in juice? Altria gets a better product?

But I doubt it will all go away, just taxed and taken-over and pricey. What drug dealer** doesn't A) Monopolize the market and B) Jack up prices?

** = Used in the generic literal sense.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA

AttyPops

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 8, 2010
    Reactions: dreamvaper

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 14, 2013
    SE PA

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    In case you didn't do the math, that's about 1.33 million bucks per employee.

That is Based on Bob in Shipping/Receiving getting the same slice as James Monsees or Adam Bowen or Nicholas Pritzker or Riaz Valani or Hoyoung Huh does.

But with 2B to spread around, I'm sure that everyone would get something to write home about.

Line 7 - Wages, Salaries, Tips, etc. $24,357.46
    Line 21 - Other Income: $587,000.00

:blink:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread