Surgery and Nic

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gingerzeronic

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Colorado
I've read here that many docs are happy to have had patients get off analogs and I think that's great. What about those of you who have had elective surgery? My problem is just a bunion op but I know my HMO will want complete nic abstinence before scheduling an elective surgery. They actually test the day of surgery.

Is this just something HMOs do or is it a widespread thing? Do individual docs feel comfortable operating when you vape nic as long as you no longer smoke? This is not a crucial, time-sensitive question for me.

keyzygirl

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2009
Key West,Fl.
Ive had surgery 2x in 6 months.Both pretty major.The surgeon was concerned about smoking and how it effects your breathing during anesthesia.I was fine vaping because my lungs were clear,no rasps.My lungs are strong and clear.I vaped in pre-op and post-op no problem.I was a smoker for 30yrs,been vaping for 2 1/2 years.Your surgeon may feel differently though.

Gingerzeronic

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Colorado
Ive had surgery 2x in 6 months.Both pretty major.The surgeon was concerned about smoking and how it effects your breathing during anesthesia.I was fine vaping because my lungs were clear,no rasps.My lungs are strong and clear.I vaped in pre-op and post-op no problem.I was a smoker for 30yrs,been vaping for 2 1/2 years.Your surgeon may feel differently though.

Interesting. I don't have a surgeon, just nanny-type HMO docs. The bunion surgery would be done with an ankle block, not a general. I'm just anticipating that I would have to be nic-free before they would even think about it.

That's not actually why I'm interested in going to zero nic eventually. I have other reasons for that.

bmwjen

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 2, 2011
worldwide
vapehouston.com
For a local block, I don't think your doctor would be as concerned about the anesthesia part, as he/she would be more concerned regarding the healing part. Nicotine works as a vasoconstrictor in the blood stream (i.e. constricting the vessels & not allowing free flow of blood to get to the part of the body that needs healed)

However, I am having major surgery under general anesthesia in a week. My surgeon and primary care doctors are aware that I use an electronic cigarette, and neither has told me to stop using it prior to nor after surgery. I've even asked my surgeon to write orders that I be allowed to use my electronic cigarette in my hospital room, that way there is no clarifying anything with anyone else post-operatively.

Gingerzeronic

ECF Veteran
Jan 18, 2012
Colorado
For a local block, I don't think your doctor would be as concerned about the anesthesia part, as he/she would be more concerned regarding the healing part. Nicotine works as a vasoconstrictor in the blood stream (i.e. constricting the vessels & not allowing free flow of blood to get to the part of the body that needs healed)

However, I am having major surgery under general anesthesia in a week. My surgeon and primary care doctors are aware that I use an electronic cigarette, and neither has told me to stop using it prior to nor after surgery. I've even asked my surgeon to write orders that I be allowed to use my electronic cigarette in my hospital room, that way there is no clarifying anything with anyone else post-operatively.

Very interesting. They aren't concerned about the effect of nicotine on healing? I think your docs are probably more enlightened than any I've run into. :D

Slight

Aug 25, 2011
New York
I've had 3 brain surgeries while i been a heavy analog smoker. Doctors always tell me which is recommended not to smoke for couple weeks prior to the surgery. But i always smoked right before going inside the hospital (washed my hands and rince my mouth of course) and i was fine, thought is not recommended of course, after surgery depends the kind of surgery you had, nicotine can slow down the healing process i believe and maybe the scar wont be heal as it should. But eh, is easy doctors tell a heavy smoker not to, is difficult to do it..

Shizzle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 6, 2011
the burbs
as others have said, nicotine affects the healing process, and it's also very dangerous for those undergoing general anesthesia, as it can cause inadequate oxygen supply to the heart.

for a minor surgery i had recently (with local anesthetic), my doc said "no nicotine 2 weeks before nor 2 weeks after." but then he whispered "i realize that's darn near impossible for some of my patients...therefore, whatever you do, do not use any nicotine products for at least 2 DAYS before and 2 DAYS after, to minimize the possible negative consequences...think you can do that??"

of course i said yes, lol. outcome was excellent. :)

(oh, and btw, i settled on abstaining for 1 week before and 1 week after :vapor:).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread