Swedish Match announces expansion for General Snus in 7 new markets in US

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
Swedish Match announces market expansion for General Snus in 7 markets (New York, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, Phoenix, Denver, Nashville and throughout Ohio), already available in Chicago, Dallas and Philadelphia.
Swedish Match Announces Market Expansion for General Snus -- RICHMOND, Va., April 5, 2012 /PRNewswire/ --

Yet another step forward for tobacco harm reduction. Competitive markets are far more effective at reducing smoking than FDA regulations.

Hopefully, all convenience stores in the US will soon sell many different snus, dissolvables, e-cigarette products and other smokefree tobacco alternatives.

Maybe five years from now, smokefree tobacco alternatives will have as much convenience store shelf space as cigarettes.

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
no St. Louis? damn, looks like I still gotta drive like 15-20 miles to get any still, and I still gotta order Nordic Mint (which is the best btw) online.....

EDIT: you'd THINK St. Louis would be a prime target for them just because Missouri's snuff taxes are practically nonexistant out here, it's $2.50 for a can of Skoal Snus and like $3.50 for a can of General, wonder why they don't try to expand their market out here? Any insight as to why? anybody?

Last edited:

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
no St. Louis? damn, looks like I still gotta drive like 15-20 miles to get any still, and I still gotta order Nordic Mint (which is the best btw) online.....

EDIT: you'd THINK St. Louis would be a prime target for them just because Missouri's snuff taxes are practically nonexistant out here, it's $2.50 for a can of Skoal Snus and like $3.50 for a can of General, wonder why they don't try to expand their market out here? Any insight as to why? anybody?

According to GeneralSnus.com, these stores should have the old and new flavors available

Excuse the bold font -- when I copy and pasted the info the bold wouldn't go away

The Hill Cigar Co.
5360 Southwest Avenue
St. Louis, MO 63139
314-776-4455

Jon'S Pipe Shop
42 North Central
Clayton, MO 63105
314-721-1480

Discount Smoke Shop #36
4340 Loughborough
St. Louis, MO 63113
314-832-4241

Discount Smoke Shop #34
8051 Watson Road
Webster Groves, MO 63119
314-918-9624

Tinder Box 227 6
411 N. Illinois St.
Fairview Heights, IL 62208
618-398-3800

Alcorn'S Cigars
8984 Watson Road
St. Louis, MO 63119
314-843-3355

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Discount Smoke Shop #34
8051 Watson Road
Webster Groves, MO 63119
314-918-9624

Alcorn'S Cigars
8984 Watson Road
St. Louis, MO 63119
314-843-3355

they DO have the new flavors? since when?! I just bought a can of regular mint from Alcorns the other day, I guess I didn't see nordic mint because I wasn't looking for it, THATS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!

Stubby

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 22, 2009
Madison, WI USA
For anyone interested this is the Swedish Match annual report

http://www.swedishmatch.com/Reports/Annual reports/2011_SwedishMatchAnnualReport_EN.pdf

This on page 9

Swedish Match continued its efforts behind Swedish snus in the US market. Consumption in 2011 is estimated to be in the range of 40 million cans, an increase of approximately 7 million cans compared with the preceding year.

Still a very small percentage of moist snuff in the US but it is a good growth rate of about 20%. I think the overall moist snuff rate increased in the US was about 7% in 2011. I would guess the actually number is higher as many US snus users order directly from Sweden because of the greater variety of flavors and strengths. I have doubts as to if that is counted in the 40 million cans.

Now if they just carried some other brands as in Ettan, Grovsnus, and 01. I can get the General brand in a tobacco shop locally, but with the outrageous WI taxes (the highest in the country) it's not to attractive. Its about $7 a can.

rothenbj

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2009
Green Lane, Pa
According to the General Snus website, a lot of gas station convenience stores in my area (and extending into the suburbs of Philadelphia) now have General Snus.

I went to the nearest listed the other day, and picked up 4 $1.99 sample packs that have 10 snus packets in each.

Greg, I've been checking every week or so at WAWAs and 7-11 north of the city (about 30 miles) and haven't seen any. I keep hoping.

*edit* I checked their web site after posting. I'm on a quest for the truth tomorrow. I saw one WAWA that I stopped at and asked a while back, but that's probably been over a month. However there are a few very local places (non chain) that I never thought of stopping at.

Will report in tomorrow.

Last edited:

sqirl1

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2011
St. Louis, MO
According to their website, they should. But you should probably call ahead.

maybe they got plans to get them but they just haven't ordered them or received the shipment yet, stuff like that happens! I'd love to be able to get Nordic Mint locally though thats seriously my favorite snus I've ever tried so far. It's definitely Swedish Snus, but they put just a touch of an American spin on it with the mint flavor and the result is AMAZING. yeah they only give you 15 pouches but they're friggin HUGE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread