Not open for further replies.

Shadav

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 4, 2013
Westfield, IN, USA
thehelpline.info
I mean it could be an allergic reaction to pg...I kind of doubt it...anything else different resonantly? Obviously, go and see a doctor....dry mouth is going to happen from time to time when chain vaping but nothing a drink can't fix...anything swollen is an allergic reaction to something and needs to be seen by a doctor.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
hi i started vaping a mint 80 pg 20 vg liquid but it has given me a swollen bottom lip dry lips and some excess saliva build up what would be the reason for this
Swollen lip and drooling... sounds like an allergic reaction to me. Get a high/exclusive VG liquid for testing purposes. That'll tell you whether it's the PG, or if you need a trip to the doctor.

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
i just ask really as ive never vaped anything before

its not a big swelling its just very slight on the wet part of the lip i also had a tiny canker sore but that did heal up i have no drooling its not that bad thankfully

I also suspect this is an allergic reaction to something in that juice. It doesn't seem to be too serious, but if it happened to me I would be careful. Allergies can become more serious if we continue to expose ourselves to the allergen.

You could stop vaping for a bit and see if it goes away. If it doesn't it's not from vaping. If it does you have some choices.

1 - Try a juice from a different manufacturer and see how that works for you. This is quick and sometimes people who react to one juice switch and never (or rarely) have a problem again.

2 - Juice is made up of PG, VG, flavorings and nicotine (if you use nic). You can vape just VG with a bit of distilled water to thin it if required. You can vape just PG. You can vape each or a combination of them with nic, and you can add flavorings one at a time. This of course means you will be buying ingredients and mixing them yourself, but this way you will probably learn much more about exactly what affects you.

3 - See your doctor and ask for help with this issue.

I have no idea how important it is for you to vape. I smoked for 37 years and vaping was the only thing that helped me enough to allow me to quit. That was back in 2012 when vape hardware and liquids were nowhere near as good as they are today. I persevered because it was really important to me. If it's not significant for you to overcome the issue you have you could also just stop vaping. Whatever you decide, give it some thought and be careful with allergies. They can get nasty.

Best of luck with it :thumb:

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
hi i started vaping a mint 80 pg 20 vg liquid but it has given me a swollen bottom lip dry lips and some excess saliva build up what would be the reason for this

Swollen lips either means you said the wrong thing to the wrong person OR you may be having some allergic reaction. Do you have any food allergies? What flavor of juice are you using? The flavorings in eliquid are food grade flavors. Nut flavors for instance may contain actual nut oils and can cause a reaction in those with nut allergies. It COULD be PG or VG related but I have never heard of that strong a reaction to either of those. Doesn't mean it couldn't happen.

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
a mint 80 pg 20 vg liquid

Many mint flavorings are very potent, IMO. I use just 3 drops of Peppermint to make a 30ml bottle of eliquid, and it's plenty strong even with that tiny amount of flavoring in it. Since 1) it's your first time vaping, 2) you're vaping an 80PG/20VG eliquid, and 3) it's mint flavored which might be pretty strong...might be that it's a combination of all those causing the irritation to your lip.

How frequently and how long you're vaping it could possibly also be a factor, or...maybe even what the drip tip is made of. Some people have reactions to different metals or plastics.

As mentioned by someone earlier though, the only way to know if it's caused by your vaping...is to quit vaping and see if it goes away. If it does, you still won't know exactly what the cause was though.

Last edited:

Vape Magoo

ECF Veteran
Dec 3, 2017
I've gotten what seemed like a minor (very minor) canker sore and very slight swelling a few times. It seemed to of happened when I was being super lazy, laying down and vaping at an unusual angle for an extended period. Seemed like I was getting minute droplets that didn't bother me while vaping. But think it may of added up to an issue. I know I would have problems with 80 PG, never even came close. But I did try high VG and that was definitely a problem for me. 40/60 PG/VG is my preferred mix. Have no problems with pre mixes of 30/70 - 50/50.

dazman

Aug 15, 2018
i stopped the vaping for a bit i don't actually think it was allergic reaction as it did not affect anything else i think it was just sore as vape magoo said

i have changed the flavor as i have another i will see if i get the same effect i have a feeling it might be mint but if not then i am guessing its the high pg as i can feel the drying effect the pg has very fast

update
it has to be the high pg level it feels like it strips the moister out of my mouth and so it gets sore i am probably a little sensitive to the pg

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That seems like a fairly logical explanation and if your canker sore goes away with less PG, I guess I'd say you have your answer.

Your drip tip isn't heating up drastically or anything is it? Some people are sensitive to different types of material and I could see that being the area where your drip tip might rest.

I've gotten a swollen lip from something else and had my vape irritate it a bit, but I don't imagine that's really the same issue.

If it happens again I would probably go to a doctor you may or may not be sensitive to PG, or PG plus something else, or who knows what in any case glad you have isolated the problem.

Anna

• Agree
Reactions: Vape Magoo

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Get some.

burts-bees-medicated-plus-lip-balm-with-menthol-and-eucalyptus-0-15-oz

Or
21jrYTRt7OL.jpg

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
A few years back my wife and I did e-cigs called Fuma. Huge PG content. And they'd leak. My wife has skin that is allergic to PG. Certain laundry soaps, shampoo, perfume and yellow gold cause blisters.

We both stopped using the Fuma after she kept getting a painful blister on her lip where the juice had touched it. Fast forward a few years and she wanted less PG.... none if possible. One day while vaping an 80vg/20pg some had gotten on the mouth piece of her pen. And sure enough, another blister. We visited a shop that samples using Joyetech Penguins. And their sample sleeves work great over a typical tip. So she keeps a few of those around. She would remove it between puffs and replace it when she wanted to vape. They extend a few mm's past her resin tips and thusfar has found that those insulate enough to avoid blisters. Once she discovered that getting juice on the tip means a blister she is very cautious about cleanup after refilling and has now been able to get by without the added sleeve over the tip.

There are some who are severely allergic to PG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread