Status
Not open for further replies.

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
Glad it's not your doggy @oplholik you know what happens when doggies go bad, sometimes there's a lawsuit and a fine, but either way your doggy winds up euthanized.

Anna, Either my brain is not yet functioning at the usual 75%, or I missed something. But ?? :)

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Oh it was probably me I was seeing talk about problems with your build and bad tastes and wondering about the doggystyle and then it was your juice.

It was probably pages ago, I was making a lame joke about like how when dogs bite humans they get fined and sued and stuff, and then the dog gets put to sleep.

It might have been funny at one point and with some judicious quoting but a joke is never good if you have to explain it.

So instead, I will quote the punchline to the worst joke my dad ever told and he told it repeatedly.

"So the guy put his hand up to his head firmly, and said, "I know, I use my kidneys."

I forget the exact setup but so as not to cause further confusion, some dude went walking past a mad house, I guess it would have been called back in my dad's age, and some crazy person was outside the crazy house and they have this long drawn out conversation and the walker was like, how'd you get out you seem so sane and intelligent, compared to other crazy people.

Punchline. Etc,.

Anna,

Ken B

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Penang
Many thanks for the replies.
As explained, over the years I have tried just about all combinations of wicking and coils at any and all wattages/temps, coil sizes from 2.0mm to 3.0mm. The point about using the squarish cotton in a round coil is also something that I have tried to obviate, by trying cotton balls as opposed to pads. Cant say there was any difference. The problem is certainly likely to be wicking in some way, but it eludes me. I just thought maybe as this problem had been mentioned before on this thread, that someone had found a solution. I did find that touching coils were not giving me very accurate TC, so I didn't pursue them.
Its maybe just one of the little mysteries of vaping, and I will live with it. When I get my Doggys, it will be interesting to see what happens then.
Many thanks again.

regiom

Jul 15, 2017
UK
I have been vaping for 5 years, the last 4 of which has been with Kayfun Lites etc. With spare parts being a bit more difficult to source, I feel it is time to replace them with perhaps the Doggy which seems like it could be an equivalent vape to the Kayfuns. I have tried the Siren 2 which while a good vape, is not without problems, so maybe I could ask for advice here regarding the Doggys.

I am having the same problem as member "kinda" Post 1015 - (sorry, cant see any "Quote" on that Post")
On my Kayfuns, and Siren. I am getting that tooth shuddering Pop at virtually every vape. It is something I have learned to live with because having tried every possible combination of coils-spaced-unspaced, wicks tight packed- looser/loose, tails-thinned, not thinned, touching deck-not touching deck, Wattage high/low, TC high/low, coil high/low above deck, In other words, you name it and I have tried it, but apart from a marginal improvement with unspaced coils, and it is marginal, nothing has worked.

I do intend to get some Doggys, but wondered if anyone had solved or improved this problem that some have with the Doggy. It seems really weird that the YT videos I have seen show these completely trouble-free coils and wicks with nothing like the care and precision with which I build my decks.
Any comments appreciated.
I feel your pain and have chimed in before on this issue. Always had horrendous popping on my spaced builds, irrespective of wicking method. But exactly the same build with contact coil has been fine. Maybe my cotton, using Muji and KGD cotton pads, I just don't know.

But you are not alone!

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
This is very strange. With my vaping I used to love the popping i got when I used cottons with them being loose in the coil. I just felt it gave me more flavor with my MTL vaping. I mostly use rayon now and that wick has to be tight in the coil. So I don't get that popping... Just a little crackling noise telling me it's cooking nicely.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Many thanks for the reply Ryedan.
I use 28g 316L and KGD cotton, and when I say I have tried packing the wick tight, I mean up to and past the point where the coil distorts and has to be restrained by my fingers, or dragged back into its position. This has been in desperation, but really knowing that this is too extreme tightness.

I have no expectation of Rayon solving the problem, and living here have no access to it anyway. Cotton is quite good enough for many people, so there is no reason for it to cause a problem for me. It may just be something I have to accept, for some unknown reason, and who knows maybe, just maybe a Doggy will not do the same, although it does seem that other people have experienced it with the Doggy.
Many thanks for the reply anyway.

You're very welcome Ken :)

First, your description of tight to the point of having to restrain the coil with your fingers using 28 gauge SS is how I always wick my coils. I consider that the best way to wick. I do think a lot of vapers put less cotton in their coils, but I do what works best for me for how I vape.

The build in the Doggy I'm vaping right now is 4/5 wraps spaced quite wide, 27 gauge SS, 3mm inside diameter reading 0.39 ohms on my Pico 75 and I'm vaping it at 14.5 watts. My juice is 100% PG and the Muji wick is very saturated. I find Muji vapes almost identical to KGD. If you are vaping high(er) VG juices that may make a difference in the popping compared to my setups.

When I first hit it, I get a couple of very quiet pops and then nothing but a hiss. I just turned up the watts to 15.5 and the pops get slightly louder, but I've stealth vaped that at work and the person 10 feet away from me didn't hear it, at least as far as I know :)

I don't consider the Doggy to be any quieter than average, so IMO if you are looking for a quieter atty I would advise you to look at something else. I accept popping as the sign of a well built and clean setup. As the coils become more gunked they get quieter. Back in the day when I vaped 50 watt builds and used less cotton in my coils and high VG juice, my vapes always popped quite loud and more often.

Hope that helps a bit and best of luck with it all!

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
LOL I fill mine to the tipipy top as well, like, the juice is like bowing or whatever you'd call it, like JUST about to sink into the dome.

You got it Anna ... couldn't have described it any better :thumb:

It's not for bragging rights, they're a pain for me to fill. Although it is getting easier, and I just refilled one without the use of a screwdriver. It really is possible if you don't overtighten.

Again, you got it, congrats!! Snugging the base down to the mod a bit more than normal helps a bit too, but if you can balance things the way you're doing it now that's great!

Glad it's not your doggy @oplholik you know what happens when doggies go bad, sometimes there's a lawsuit and a fine, but either way your doggy winds up euthanized.

Oh gawd ... let's not go there :cry:

:)

Reactions: DPLongo22

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA

Attachments

• 20181117_231146~2.jpg
    20181117_231146~2.jpg
    392.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20181117_231151~2.jpg
    20181117_231151~2.jpg
    318.6 KB · Views: 46

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    This is very strange. With my vaping I used to love the popping i got when I used cottons with them being loose in the coil. I just felt it gave me more flavor with my MTL vaping. I mostly use rayon now and that wick has to be tight in the coil. So I don't get that popping... Just a little crackling noise telling me it's cooking nicely.

Yeah I also use rayon now - forgot about that. Possibly why I don't pop anymore - tighter wicking.

LOVE the crackling noise - to the point where I feel hard done by if it's not there ;)

The mod you posted above is awesome - what is it? :wub:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Where do you get 100% pg liquids? I haven't seen that in many years. I don't see many people vaping 100% pg these days. One of my liquids is 95% pg. The others are 80% pg. I hate anything lower. I can't vape high vg liquids.

I make my own juices ricks. Most flavorings are in PG and my nic is 100% PG so it's easy. Ya, I doubt any commercial juices are all PG, most people like higher VG. There's not much difference between 80% and 100% PG, I just tried not adding that little bit of VG one day and never went back :)

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    Yeah I also use rayon now - forgot about that. Possibly why I don't pop anymore - tighter wicking.

LOVE the crackling noise - to the point where I feel hard done by if it's not there ;)

The mod you posted above is awesome - what is it? :wub:
    Joyetech eVic Primo Mini. One of my favorite mods.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread