SXK DOGGY STYLE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 30, 2017
Metro ATL
I usually just rinse my tanks in hot water and use compressed air from my compressor to clean them. Boiling them shouldn't be necessary unless it's extremely dirty. Or it's new with lots of machine oil. Some of that oil can be a pia to remove.
I'd think that although boiling won't melt any decent o-ring, it'll accelerate the aging process for them, just as repeatedly removing and replacing them would. I just run really hot water over & thru them on every 2-3 rebuilds, and blow thru the air intake sharply.

The hot water is enough to break down & remove the glycerin. Boiling would only really serve to sanitize it - which I think is really unnecessary, since pg & vg have bactericidal properties. If it's really gunky, I think dish soap would probably do more to clean it than boiling.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2011
Midworld
35ffec53-2260-48d9-9492-5a90a63c35b1_1.61a516ee903e9096734734637511eecd.jpeg

Ken B

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Penang
I have been vaping for 5 years, the last 4 of which has been with Kayfun Lites etc. With spare parts being a bit more difficult to source, I feel it is time to replace them with perhaps the Doggy which seems like it could be an equivalent vape to the Kayfuns. I have tried the Siren 2 which while a good vape, is not without problems, so maybe I could ask for advice here regarding the Doggys.

I am having the same problem as member "kinda" Post 1015 - (sorry, cant see any "Quote" on that Post")
On my Kayfuns, and Siren. I am getting that tooth shuddering Pop at virtually every vape. It is something I have learned to live with because having tried every possible combination of coils-spaced-unspaced, wicks tight packed- looser/loose, tails-thinned, not thinned, touching deck-not touching deck, Wattage high/low, TC high/low, coil high/low above deck, In other words, you name it and I have tried it, but apart from a marginal improvement with unspaced coils, and it is marginal, nothing has worked.

I do intend to get some Doggys, but wondered if anyone had solved or improved this problem that some have with the Doggy. It seems really weird that the YT videos I have seen show these completely trouble-free coils and wicks with nothing like the care and precision with which I build my decks.
Any comments appreciated.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
On my Kayfuns, and Siren. I am getting that tooth shuddering Pop at virtually every vape. It is something I have learned to live with because having tried every possible combination of coils-spaced-unspaced, wicks tight packed- looser/loose, tails-thinned, not thinned, touching deck-not touching deck, Wattage high/low, TC high/low, coil high/low above deck, In other words, you name it and I have tried it, but apart from a marginal improvement with unspaced coils, and it is marginal, nothing has worked.

I do intend to get some Doggys, but wondered if anyone had solved or improved this problem that some have with the Doggy. It seems really weird that the YT videos I have seen show these completely trouble-free coils and wicks with nothing like the care and precision with which I build my decks.
Any comments appreciated.

I've found that popping is very much related to how tight you pack your wicks. I know you say you tried packing them tight with no success, but IMO you may not have gone tight enough.

Wicking experiments are pretty easy, cheap and take very little time. If you fail, 5 minutes and a couple of cents will fix it. So if you're up for it try stuffing more in there than you think would be good and try vaping it. Not quite as much as with Rayon, but kinda close. If you are not used to Rayon, think of 'enough cotton' as the amount you need so that when you move the wick back and forth in the coil you need to hang onto the coil a bit to avoid it from deflecting too far left to right when using 27 or 28 gauge wire. That's the best way I can think of explaining what I mean and I hope that makes some kind of sense.

When I get this right, there is still a very slight pop when I first take a drag on my Doggies and my other atties, but it is very quiet and then it's gone.

Best of luck with it :thumb:

Ken B

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2013
Penang
I've found that popping is very much related to how tight you pack your wicks. I know you say you tried packing them tight with no success, but IMO you may not have gone tight enough.

Wicking experiments are pretty easy, cheap and take very little time. If you fail, 5 minutes and a couple of cents will fix it. So if you're up for it try stuffing more in there than you think would be good and try vaping it. Not quite as much as with Rayon, but kinda close. If you are not used to Rayon, think of 'enough cotton' as the amount you need so that when you move the wick back and forth in the coil you need to hang onto the coil a bit to avoid it from deflecting too far left to right when using 27 or 28 gauge wire. That's the best way I can think of explaining what I mean and I hope that makes some kind of sense.

When I get this right, there is still a very slight pop when I first take a drag on my Doggies and my other atties, but it is very quiet and then it's gone.

Best of luck with it :thumb:

Many thanks for the reply Ryedan.
I use 28g 316L and KGD cotton, and when I say I have tried packing the wick tight, I mean up to and past the point where the coil distorts and has to be restrained by my fingers, or dragged back into its position. This has been in desperation, but really knowing that this is too extreme tightness.

I have no expectation of Rayon solving the problem, and living here have no access to it anyway. Cotton is quite good enough for many people, so there is no reason for it to cause a problem for me. It may just be something I have to accept, for some unknown reason, and who knows maybe, just maybe a Doggy will not do the same, although it does seem that other people have experienced it with the Doggy.
Many thanks for the reply anyway.

Reactions: stols001

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
I use 28g 316L and KGD cotton, and when I say I have tried packing the wick tight, I mean up to and past the point where the coil distorts and has to be restrained by my fingers, or dragged back into its position. This has been in desperation, but really knowing that this is too extreme tightness.

I have no expectation of Rayon solving the problem, and living here have no access to it anyway. Cotton is quite good enough for many people, so there is no reason for it to cause a problem for me. It may just be something I have to accept, for some unknown reason, and who knows maybe, just maybe a Doggy will not do the same, although it does seem that other people have experienced it with the Doggy.
How much power are you using? What is the diameter of your coil? How many wraps?

Reactions: stols001

Janusz

ECF Veteran
Feb 22, 2018
Illinois, USA

Loud pops are IMHO definitely caused by nothing else but wicking. When I used cotton pads (cut in strips) I had pops much more often than using Rayon or cotton bacon... when you force more or less square strip of cotton through coil it folds into round shape but very often create voids or air pockets inside/outside that are filled with juice... that trapped or hanging drops of liquid expands rapidly when coils heats up causing loud pops. I have 2 Sirens and 2 Doggies and almost never have loud pops when wicked with rayon unless my wick is too loose.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand

I used to always get a pop if the coil was cold - not getting it now though. Main difference for me is I'm actually wicking a tad looser in the coil. Previously I'd always over wick. Have a play and see if that helps

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    LOL I fill mine to the tipipy top as well, like, the juice is like bowing or whatever you'd call it, like JUST about to sink into the dome.

It's not for bragging rights, they're a pain for me to fill. Although it is getting easier, and I just refilled one without the use of a screwdriver. It really is possible if you don't overtighten.

Glad it's not your doggy @oplholik you know what happens when doggies go bad, sometimes there's a lawsuit and a fine, but either way your doggy winds up euthanized.

Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread