Not open for further replies.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2011
Utopia
Hey, I have spreadsheets for almost everything, business and personal. But I just can't do that, Kat! :confused: I used to only have 2-3 setups. But now, I'm trying to pare it down. I have 2 of my NET tanks- one on my favorite hitting mod, and a secondary one. I rotate those tanks when one gets old and is nearing rebuild time. And another one with unflavored. And currently 4 pods lying around.

But I am going to retire a few of the pods- they're just not good enough to buy replacements for all of them. I'll probably keep on with the 2 tobacco/1 unflavored rta's, and a single pod. I just like changing it up throughout the day, to keep my taste buds/throat guessing. But I am tired of my desk being cluttered with it all. It got worse when I started with the pods, and making salt juices specifically for them.

You think YOUR desk is cluttered!!! :lol:

Every time I try to do the same (pare it down), it/they somehow manage to repopulate. It's like some ethereal force has taken over!

So spreadsheet I do. I actually enjoy it and have found it pretty helpful in terms of not only which liquid is where, but I also account for wick and coil dates, capacity, mls vaped, tanks getting the most use, etc. It's like my version of a puff counter. <blush>

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    You think YOUR desk is cluttered!!! :lol:

Every time I try to do the same (pare it down), it/they somehow manage to repopulate. It's like some ethereal force has taken over!

So spreadsheet I do. I actually enjoy it and have found it pretty helpful in terms of not only which liquid is where, but I also account for wick and coil dates, capacity, mls vaped, tanks getting the most use, etc. It's like my version of a puff counter. <blush>

Someone wise once told me that mods are frisky and like reproducing, For me RTAs are worse than bunnies :rolleyes:

But I keep most of my bunnies in my vape drawer and what they do in there I don't wanna know about - especially the doggys ;)

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld

Kusie

ECF Veteran
    Jun 21, 2017
    Germany
    Guys,
    I´m having some trouble with one of my doggies these days... it´s a standard SXK doggy styled RTA with 1.5 mm airhole. Problem is I get massive gurgling and lots of juice in the airhole (even flooded once) as soon as the tank is almost empty (lets say 20% filled.). NO problems whatsoever when tank is filled completely and until the juice level drops to 25% or below... thought I might have a bad wicking and replaced several times... no change. Since I´ve not changed anything in my wicking style and it worked flawlessly in the past I figured it might be a pressure issue and checked the PC tank, found a suspicious big scratch that COULD be a crack and replaced the PC tank. Unfortunately that didn´t help either. I checked the O ring around the base and it looks good, will replace it anyway this evening just to make sure.

Where else can I look? I´m a bit clueless right now....
    Thanks for help,
    K.

Hobbs

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 17, 2016
    Interesting Kusie. I'm a bit clueless too. If nothing at all has changed and it worked flawlessly in the past, why an issue now? Same mod same wattage/voltage, same everything you say?

Just thinking out loud ... something has changed somehow. Wonder if you continue to inhale once the fire button is released, will it cause flooding? Thinking maybe it will if the air flow is restricted such that inhale pressure pulls juice from the tank and onto the deck. And maybe once it's started doing that, it would only get worse as you continue to vape.

Don't know coil diameter or wicking material and can only speculated that 2.5mm might be the smallest ideal for wicking material volume in the Doggy. But I build 30ga on 2mm (8 wrap Kanthal @ 1.83ohms) and have very few problems. Cotton might be the best choice for wicking, unless for some reason you NEED fast wicking, and fluff the tails a bit before tucking to insure wick channels are filled nicely. Speaking of wick tails, try making them just a bit longer. Mine not only touch the deck but wrap under and around the deck airflow tube slightly. All that said, I can't go more than 2 refills before juice buildup beneath the coil and down into the deck airflow tube is such that it begins to restrict airflow slightly. Sometimes I take scissors and trim narrow strips of paper napkin to stick into the air hole on the adjustable ring and soak up any juice that might be in there. I don't do that often but when the juice restricts airflow slightly, it helps.

Last thought is that VG wicks slower than PG, so higher VG SHOULD be less prone to this issue. But since whatever you're doing worked flawlessly in the past ... dunno.

charlie1465

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Dec 30, 2014
    Roquebrune sur Argens, Var, France
    Guys,
    I´m having some trouble with one of my doggies these days... it´s a standard SXK doggy styled RTA with 1.5 mm airhole. Problem is I get massive gurgling and lots of juice in the airhole (even flooded once) as soon as the tank is almost empty (lets say 20% filled.). NO problems whatsoever when tank is filled completely and until the juice level drops to 25% or below... thought I might have a bad wicking and replaced several times... no change. Since I´ve not changed anything in my wicking style and it worked flawlessly in the past I figured it might be a pressure issue and checked the PC tank, found a suspicious big scratch that COULD be a crack and replaced the PC tank. Unfortunately that didn´t help either. I checked the O ring around the base and it looks good, will replace it anyway this evening just to make sure.

Thanks for help,
    K.

Interesting...maybe don't let your liquid go below 20% ;) That's pretty low and if air is getting in as well as liquid that could explain your issue....if that makes sense :)

Brewdawg1181

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 30, 2017
    Metro ATL
    Interesting...maybe don't let your liquid go below 20% ;) That's pretty low and if air is getting in as well as liquid that could explain your issue....if that makes sense :)

:D
    upload_2019-4-26_8-57-43.png

clnire

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 15, 2013
    Florida
    I had one that had a similar problem, until I figured out the every time I took the bottom off to refill, I was unscrewing the metal air chamber part from the tank. Used a finger every refill to re-seat the metal air part. I know I am not using the right terms/wording, but it's been a long busy day and I am tired. I did replace the tank and it stopped unscrewing, all is well. Make sure the metal air section is secure in the plastic tank. Otherwise, I am just tired... (but good, happy tired, nothing wrong).

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Guys,

Thanks for help,
    K.

I'm the queen of gurgly doggys :rolleyes:

My first problem was fixed when I switched to spaced coils, contact coil had a hot leg which caused it to leak through the airflow hole.

Second time was the chamber not being screwed in tight to the tank and/or a faulty o-ring on top of the chamber.

If you stick your lil finger into the chamber to hold it, use pliers to unscrew the metal ring on top of the tank. Clean the chamber, and swap the o-ring for a similar size one. Then screw it all back into place. If the o-ring is 'spitting' when it's getting screwed tight, use a slightly smaller one.

Good luck :thumb:

Kusie

ECF Veteran
    Jun 21, 2017
    Germany
    Hey,
    I solved my problem. It WAS the o ring after all... I think it was a combination of a worn out o ring and dirty threads on the atomizer base ( I only vape NETS in this one and NET juice always has small particles in it) that broke the vacuum inside the tank . Gave it a good clean, replaced o ring and now everything is back to normal. I run 5 doggies and only one of them had that problem with gurgling on a nearly empty tank so I knew it was neither my vaping style nor a wicking issue.
    I remember that some people use the doggy without the bottom O ring and I wonder how that is even possible... well, thanks all for the help and tips!

K.

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    Hey,
    I solved my problem. It WAS the o ring after all... I think it was a combination of a worn out o ring and dirty threads on the atomizer base ( I only vape NETS in this one and NET juice always has small particles in it) that broke the vacuum inside the tank . Gave it a good clean, replaced o ring and now everything is back to normal. I run 5 doggies and only one of them had that problem with gurgling on a nearly empty tank so I knew it was neither my vaping style nor a wicking issue.
    I remember that some people use the doggy without the bottom O ring and I wonder how that is even possible... well, thanks all for the help and tips!

K.
    The original Doggie doesn't use one and if you have a perfectly made clone, it can work without an o-ring too. It just seals perfectly without it.

DPLongo22

aka "The Sesquipedalian"
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 17, 2011
    Midworld
    Hey,

K.

I actually remove the entire airflow ring from my SXKs (and retain them on my Smidgies just to differentiate). It impacts the look but has no bearing on the vape (which is all I really care about).

stols001

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    May 30, 2017
    I've had to replace an O-ring or two. I did have one tank where the silicone seal just wore out. I have not been tightening with my usual ferocious TIGHTNESS since then, and all has been well.

I have a lovely frosted Doggy tank not sure who the maker was that I would LOVE to use, but the darn doggy driptip FT uses and I am addicted to would not fit in there. I gotta find something that may work. The rest of it is fine.

And "I don't care about the look" LOL @DPLongo22 we know... We know....
    Anna

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread