SXMini SL Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Belushi

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2009
The Colony, TX
Just received my SXMini SL the other day... Really like it, nice form factor for the hand and pocket, hits very well, solid build. Let's say, if this is going to wear down, I am unable to guess what part is going to go first. Yea, price is not the best, but I reserve the right to indulge sometime, what is the price of a carton now days?

However, so you got your SXMini SL all setup they way you like (e.g. Different Watts/TC settings, screen brightness, sleep delay, different memories, etc.) and you take the battery out and put it back in, mine resets all settings back to default. If you just turn it off (e.g. 5-clicks, "System off") then all settings stay in tack.

Have not experience that behavior on some of my other mods, they must retain enough power to maintain the settings for some period of time. My example above is very fast, take battery out, put it back in, and settings are gone.

So, my question is, does anybody else have an SXMini SL or other SXMini model and if so does yours behave the same or do I have a defective device?

EDIT: Hmmm, now it is not doing it, wonder if I mistakenly hit a sequence that reset the settings to default when taking out the battery. Anybody know the sequence to reset to factor defaults?

Last edited:

Belushi

ECF Veteran
Jun 14, 2009
The Colony, TX
Mine doesn’t reset. I do have to do a 5 click power up when putting in a fresh battery but the settings remain as they were.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. I haven’t been able to reproduce. But, I know it happened at least twice, cause I saw it happen, then reproduce it.

For now I’m assuming it just hadn’t had a battery in it long enough or user error. I have been having issues with the 5 really quick clicks. Son does it, wife does it, I seem to have a stutter in my clicks...

Reactions: stols001

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
IMG_20180916_103255.jpg

Here's what YiHi says about saving your settings and battery to use.

I clicked the fire button after setting it up and settings stayed after leaving the battery out for a couple hours to charge.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I've got a few devices with YiHi chips in them, but have never owned a YiHi device so I ordered one today. I figured I deserved it. :) Especially wanted to have one in case the FDA continues to overstep it's bounds soon.

Have a good number of mods with DNA chips, wanted to have a 'nice' mod with a Yihi board as well. I had a hard time deciding whether or not to get the blue stabwood, ended up going with the Steel Grey Tang instead. I really like the stabwood, just couldn't bring myself to pay the extra $40 for it. With my track record, I'll probably like the mod and end up getting the stabwood as well.

Honestly this is the first mod I've been excited about in a while. Got it just because I wanted a YiHi mod (don't currently own one), and I like the battery flexibility.

Glad you guys mentioned the above about saving the settings. That probably would have bit me.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I really want a SL class too but im waiting until my backup mod dies or i see a killer sale. The MX Class can be found at a greatly reduced price but im not too thrilled with it. Seems like it would fall over too easily.
Only had mine for two days, but am very pleased with it. This thing is built like a tank.

I'm not a high wattage vaper, the SL Class is perfect for me. Running a Sanyo 20700B in it, it easily lasts all day for me on a single battery. I could probably get most of a day out of an LG HG2.

Very pocketable form factor and very comfortable in the hand.

I've got double 18650 mods, but only a few single battery mods. I can run a 2x700 in my Pico 21700 or LV Mirage, but there is no comparison with the SL Class.

I like my Mirage a lot and the DNA 75C is a great chip, but the Mirage feels like a toy compared to this. Of course, that's the mod, not the chip. I paid close to the same price for the Mirage. For an extra $15 or so, this is a no brainer.

I think you'll be pleased with it when you get yours.

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
After a few weeks the SL is my favorite. It's like a golf club that fits your hand just right.

I'm using an 18650 since a 70mm battery will require another charger since my NiteCore D4 maxes out at 65mm safely.

Brightness at 2 is great even in direct sunshine. My sausage fingers and the joystick play nice after a couple of days.

Well worth the coin in my view.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I was slightly frustrated trying to update the firmware on mine. I tried loading the software on both a Win7 and Win10 machine and had the same issues.

It wouldn't recognize/load the device driver when I plugged it in. I found several methods online to correct this. What worked for me was to remove the battery from the device and plug it back in. Then, it loaded the Sxi USB driver.

So I was finally able to get it to recognize the device to upload the firmware, but only when the battery is out. If I have a battery in the mod, it will not recognize the device, even though the USB driver is loaded now.

I opened the firmware file, uploaded it, and should be good to go. However, the Sxi software still doesn't recognize the device to allow me to go into settings or anything like that. Only to load firmware. Maybe the device needs a battery in it to get into settings, etc, but mine won't recognize the device with the battery in it. Not really concerned about anything other than loading the firmware though, so I'm good to go.

It would be nice if they has software that worked as well/easily as Evolve. I spent probably 1.5 hours getting the firmware updated.

Very pleased with the mod though. Ordered a green stabwood last week. Should arrive this week.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
No atty connected at all.

If I have a battery in it, it doesn't recognize the device.

Without the battery, it will connect and allow me to update the firmware. But the 'SX-i' and 'Settings' buttons in the GUI have a warning indicator next to them, and I can't select/use them.

Really strange. Maybe I'll connect without the battery, and then try putting the battery in and see if the other two options work.

I think it's something to do with the original issue of not being able to get it to install the YiHi USB drivers. But without the battery, it finally installed them and I could do the firmware update at least.

I have a green stabwood out for delivery today. I'll try it with a battery and see if it has the same problem where I can't connect until the battery is removed.

Oh yeah FWIW, I'm using version 2.8.6.3 of the software. That appeared to be the latest/correct version.

Last edited:

RayofLight62

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2015
Kent - United Kingdom
One of my SLs showed that problem out of the box. All memory settings and the display timer were reset to default when replacing the battery.

The SL class mod normally keeps the settings with no battery installed.

The dealer here in the UK replaced it immediately. I strongly suggest you to follow the same route.

Make sure your new SL class mod has the latest firmware installed, as the old one gives a rogue "short" indication on the display in the middle of a vape.

can anybody post a picture of this compared to some other devices?
given the form factor it shouldn't be that big but it just seems huge in pictures.

Actually all the sx mini devices have that issue.
show me some pictures.

Its not all that big. Here it is next to my Rebel 75c single 21700.
8a57a9ddb35af2dab9a3b463453c27bf.jpg

• Useful

diagrammatiks

ECF Veteran
Aug 18, 2018
Its not all that big. Here it is next to my Rebel 75c single 21700.
View attachment 770769

Definitely gonna try and pick one up once used prices drop some more around me. Given how cheap used g classes are around me I just can’t justify grabbing an sl. Yet. Soon tho.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I was able to update the firmware but I can't access the settings icon either.
Ok figured this out and it works on both of mine....

Got my new green stabwood today. Still (no atomizer), it won't connect to the PC with a battery installed). So I removed the battery, connected it and did the firmware update.

Then I pressed the fire button (with it still connected and no battery), and the warning icons for 'settings' and SxI disappeared. I can now get into those features and make changes.

Looks like for me:

1) No battery or atomizer
2) Connect and do firmware (if needed)
3) Press fire button after it connects
4) Can then access all of the features in the software.

Please try this and see if it works for you. I have two SLs that work in this manner. Hopefully this resolves it for you as well.

Really pleased with the mod especially the stabwood. However, the firmware updates and software need quite a bit of refinement. Updating a DNA chip with Escribe is like kindergarten compared to this, lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread