Tank leakage issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ktribb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Newark, De, USA
So I was using a Fire & Ice juice and all was okay, I changed my wick, it was a little big and blocking airflow it seemed, and changed to Mother's Milk, which is a bit thinner, and maybe my wick was too small at this point, this morning woke up and there was a leak somewhere, using a Mini Protank 2 on top of an iTaste SVD, cotton wick. Cleaned off all connections from juice, all threads, looked at rubber grommets and everything, also added a flavor wick and switched back over to Fire & Ice to see if it leaks with that in there, the thicker juice, not having flavor wick on top of the coil, would that be a cause for a leak? went from half full to just about empty over night, it seemed super flooded that's why I added a little cotton to on top of the coil for a flavor wick. What else is there that could be causing a leaking issue?

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
The thinner the juice, the more gurgling you will get from a bottom coil tank. The flavor wick helps to control the juice to the coil.

I vape 100%PG juice and thicken it sometimes with a little Humco VG from the Walmart cosmetics counter. It's USP grade and commonly used by DIYers in mixing juice at home. You can add a percentage to the tank when you refill and spin it to mix.

A top coil tank might be something you'd want to try with those juices that leak and gurgle. The Protank has an air hole under the coil that can allow juices to leak down to the threads when the bowl is flooded. You can also use a pipe cleaner through the drip tip to soak up extra juice from the wicks and stop the gurgle. I use a tightly rolled up corner of a paper towel to do the same thing. It's also the nature of bottom coil tanks to condense water vapor in the air tube as heated vapor rises up toward the drip tip. That condensation gravitates back down to the bowl and floods it periodically.

A Vivi Nova style top coil tank might be better for those thinner juices.

Sthur

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 14, 2013
Denver
Are these rebuilt coils or stock with cotton wick, could be you don't have enough cotton inside the coil. I rebuild and have no need for flavor wick and never leak. Check the coil is tight on the base and the cotton is snug and not tight or loose in the coil. Also in my blog I have a Home Depot fix for those rubber grommets if your still having problems.

Ktribb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Newark, De, USA
@DaveP , thanks for your detailed reply, I think I will give the Walmart VG a chance, and I just looked and my tank is down to a quarter, I flipped the little hat grommet on top of the coil stem about half an hour ago and it has not leaked on the drive as much as I can tell.

@Sthur , this is on a rebuilt coil, I didn't have a problem with the leak before I replaced the wick yesterday but didn't notice it leaking until this morning. The coil is on base well, I check it every time I refill, if this keeps up I will check out your blog while I put a stock coil in there to test for a leak.

Thank you both for your replies.

Ktribb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Newark, De, USA
tetuvube.jpg

Just threw some new cotton in there and took a pic for y'all, also is there any way to get the juice from around the battery contact on the top?
jazyhemu.jpg

Jumpin' In...

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 11, 2013
Maui, Hawaii
From the looks of it, an additional bit of flavor wick might solve the problem. Nice coil, btw.

I've read about flipping the silicone cap over, but I've never had to do that -- and it frankly doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. I think the lip of that cap blocks normally some of the space where the wicks come out from the coil, so if you turned the cap over you might have to put an even bigger flavor wick in to compensate.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I don't know about the Itaste SVD, but my Provari doesn't like the Protank to be screwed down tight. Back it off 1/3 to 1/2 a turn and the air flow opens up. I also sometimes use a 510 female to male adapter originally designed for the eGo style tanks. That lifts it up and restores the draw.

I've tried removing or flipping the silicone tube cap and found that it increased the flavor, but eventually flooded the coil. There's a fine line between flooding and starving the Protank coil. If the flavor wick is too thick, the cap seal compresses it and starves the coil. Some trim little V shapes on each side until they achieve decent wicking without flooding.

You could try an Aspire tank for vapor and flavor. The CE5 BDC would probably fit your SVD. The Nautilus is probably too thick. The Davide might fit. All will give you better flavor than the Protank.

Last edited:

Ktribb

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2014
Newark, De, USA
Thanks Dave, I think I will probably order one of the tanks you mentioned, and in the mean time, go get an adapter from local B&M, he said I may need one, but some did not, I opted to try without. I also wasn't sure if maybe tightening on too much might be an issue in terms of draw, I certainly don't over tighten, that's for sure. Flipping the silicone didn't change anything it seems, and just put it back right, the new cotton helps a bit but it may still be short, going to roll more cotton and put it on there to see how it reacts.

And thanks on the compliment Jumpin, it's the first coil rebuild I've done, pretty happy with it as of yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread