Tank or carto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morfeeus

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
Blue Springs, MO
I use the dual coil carto tanks. Cartos alone need to be topped off or refilled more often than a carto inside a tank. They both offer the same flavor and vapor production just less maintenance inside a tank. I think direct dripping will almost always offer better flavor but I don't notice a large enough drop off in flavor to warrant the extra efforts to drip vs using a carto/carto tank. I pretty much only drip when trying new flavors/juice vendors nowadays.

ToweKnee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2011
Chicago
I just got my Tanks from M&P yesterday and all I said was " WHY DID I WAIT THIS LONG? ". Seriously I was just filling my cartos up with syringes and topping them off. What a pain !! These tanks are very sweet and priced great for someone who is unsure if it is for them. I filled up my mini sub tank this morning and still going strong. Flavor is great but I am using resurrectors for now. I still prefer the Boges SR because I like to crank up the volts !! I cant do that with these 1.7 resurrectors.

Now dripping is a whole different thing and IMO is a royal PITA. Its good if you like to change up flavors and test your DIY mix but it isnt ideal to take out of the house or to work. Its constant vape, drip, vape, drip and it gets old quick. However I do enjoy doing it and the taste is very clean but the ease of the tank/carto is really unmatched. Not to mention using the tank keeps the filler always wet which will only help the life of the carto.

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
Frank's ford, in the Caintuck
Why would someone prefer a tank over a carto? (or vice-versa) I'm trying to learn the advantages/disadvantages of both. Now that I will have a choice between the two....
Thanks for helping teach me ;)

There is no "difference"--the tank just hold extra juice to feed the carto. In this case, the advantage/disadvantage is to using a tank or not.

Advantages of tank:
Longer times between refilling
Carto always has that "first vape" taste, until the tank is empty
I'm sure there are more, but that covers at least 90% of the functional advantage

Disadvantages of tank:
Bigger
Can be more "fragile" than carto alone
A bit more inconvenient to fill
Steeper learning curve (though it varies greatly from one person to the next)
I'm sure there are more, but I'm pushing 22 hours since I last slept

The progression goes something like this:

Dripping = (arguably) best flavour--requires constant attention
Add cartridge to atomizer = does not require as much attention--still have to replace cartridges quite often, is messy, mutes flavor, easy to burn
Combine cartridge and atomizer (Cartomizer) = does not require nearly as much attention, tastes better than cartridge--flavor falls off as carto "empties," is (arguably) not as good as dripping
Add tank = usually requires attention once a day (or less), flavor does not fall off--requires a bit more care in portage and storing than cartomizer alone.

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
There is no "difference"--the tank just hold extra juice to feed the carto. In this case, the advantage/disadvantage is to using a tank or not.

Advantages of tank:
Longer times between refilling
Carto always has that "first vape" taste, until the tank is empty
I'm sure there are more, but that covers at least 90% of the functional advantage

Disadvantages of tank:
Bigger
Can be more "fragile" than carto alone
A bit more inconvenient to fill
Steeper learning curve (though it varies greatly from one person to the next)
I'm sure there are more, but I'm pushing 22 hours since I last slept

The progression goes something like this:

Dripping = (arguably) best flavour--requires constant attention
Add cartridge to atomizer = does not require as much attention--still have to replace cartridges quite often, is messy, mutes flavor, easy to burn
Combine cartridge and atomizer (Cartomizer) = does not require nearly as much attention, tastes better than cartridge--flavor falls off as carto "empties," is (arguably) not as good as dripping
Add tank = usually requires attention once a day (or less), flavor does not fall off--requires a bit more care in portage and storing than cartomizer alone.

I really do want to do a sticky pwyll you really do a great job with this stuff. I need to see how to do it its very well put and helpful Thank you:)

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
I really do want to do a sticky pwyll you really do a great job with this stuff. I need to see how to do it its very well put and helpful Thank you:)

As far as I know you can only sticky threads. I know you can also move posts, though, so you might need to make a "Tank Advice" thread, sticky it, close it, and then copy/move all the video/instruction/advice posts to it--or just post links to the specific posts in it. If you keep it closed no one can post in it to make it harder to find the information, but you'll have to open it temporarily to copy/move/make a post to it...

Or maybe just make and sticky a "Tank Advice" thread and have the first post say something like "If you find a particular post to be helpful, please post a link to it here. No discussion or comments, just links to educational posts" and then leave it open for people and see how it goes. Be easier on you, but you may have to delete a few posts if it starts getting cluttered with chatting :)

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011
I've learned a ton of stuff from Pwyll. :)

I've been known to offer private lessons 2dqsxhu.gif

whistle.gif

VaVaunt

ECF Veteran
Jun 18, 2009
Florida, USA
I've heard that a lot of people don't read the stickies, but I really like them, and use them as sort of a reference library. But if I had the ability, I'd make them only informational, and remove all of the posts that had no relevance, only the ones directly asking a question and the answers would remain. It clears out all of the irrelevant stuff, or things going off original topic and makes it easier to understand...just my idea on them anyways...
But it would be great to start building your own Mom & Pop's Vapor Shop Library...and Pwyll, I'd elect you head librarian :)

P0P

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2011
C'Ville Virginia
momandpopvaporshop.com
For anyone looking for a carto punch i just thought i would share this with you it takes like 10 seconds for a hole if ya slow. Just trying to help out Jig & Punch for Cartos:p Oh it is just my opinion and it is what i use its fast if you have to punch a bunch of cartos that's all
Hammer_3.gif
little tap and your done:)

Umm! i hope this is legal:p

Last edited:

JaneinMesa

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 8, 2012
AZ
2 weeks into vaping and 2 different tanks - I don't like them. They've been getting too much condensation in them and watering down my juice. (That or the heating of the juice it doing something to the flavor.) But it feels like condensation and I'm getting watery vapes. Humidity has been higher since this started happening. I agree though with the initial analyses. Atomizers and dripping give the best flavor, but are a pain and dry hits absolutely nasty.

Morfeeus

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2011
Blue Springs, MO
What type of tanks are you using?

2 weeks into vaping and 2 different tanks - I don't like them. They've been getting too much condensation in them and watering down my juice. (That or the heating of the juice it doing something to the flavor.) But it feels like condensation and I'm getting watery vapes. Humidity has been higher since this started happening. I agree though with the initial analyses. Atomizers and dripping give the best flavor, but are a pain and dry hits absolutely nasty.

pwyll

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
May 24, 2011

You really shouldn't be getting condensation in a tank, unless you're going from extreme air-conditioning to extreme heat fairly often. What ohm cartomizers are you using and at what voltage?

Randy C

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 17, 2012
SW Florida
Hi VaVaunt. It took me a while to convert to using a cartomizer in a tank. I too wish I pulled the trigger on this combination earlier, because It would have saved me a ton of money buying other options that just didn't work as well...

I've been using a M&P's mini-sub tank and I absolutely LOVE it because it's so easy to fill and it's constructed very well. I'll be ordering a full size tank or two from M&P with my next order.

I agree with POP... PWYLL's answer nailed your question! I'd just like to just emphasize the importance of PWLL's comment: "Add tank = usually requires attention once a day (or less), flavor does not fall off" THIS IS HUGE for me- from both a convenience and flavor perspective. I'd also like to add that using cartomizers without a tank can get costly. Let me explain; let them run even the least bit dry and the filler material will burn. Once this happens you'll just want to throw it away because the burnt taste will never go away. I only get days worth of use out of a cartomizer alone, as compared to sometimes weeks when used in a tank.

In closing...as far as places to purchase vaping supplies- I'd personally recommend just sticking with Mom & Pop for most everything you need. They are not always the cheapest, but most would agree that NO ONE in the vaping industry comes close to offering the level of customer service that Mom & Pop do- PERIOD. They bend over backwards to please their customers and treat them like family. I could go on and on about my own personal experiences, but I don't want this to sound like a commercial.

Good luck; God Bless!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread