Tank question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vaperer

ECF Veteran
Dec 10, 2017
So I was in a smoke shop the other day. I had to buy some supplies. The salesman seemed pretty knowledgeable. I asked him a specific question. The question is do you have any tanks that don't leak??. the answer was all tanks leak. Is this a true statement. Sometimes I wonder about the smoke shops. I should have gotten a I don't know, which would have been better.

Beamslider

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 29, 2017
San Francisco
No it isn't true that all tanks leak. I don't have leaking problems with any of the tanks I use.

They can leak if not assembled correctly or with RTA if the wick is not done correctly.

There are of course some tanks that are poorly designed that leak regardless

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Nope..not even close. ALL bottom air tanks can leak... damaged cotton, bad seals, poor wicking... the juice has to go somewhere, and that'll be out the bottom air slots. BUT, there are several top air tanks that a extremely resistant to leaking. Of course, with a top air tank, you are more likely to experience flooding or gurgling if you have bad seals, bad cotton, or bad wicking... no leaking though!

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
All tanks have the POTENTIAL to leak.

All tanks have their own particular nuances which gives them the potential to leak. Learn to understand those nuances and you can prevent them from leaking.

Even the best designed tank will leak under certain circumstances. For example, you leave your tank in a hot car. The rise in temperature causes the e-liquid to expand and become thinner in viscosity; since the pressure in the tank has changed the e-liquid will follow the path of least resistance and cause the e-liquid to leak out of the tank. Same thing with a change in air pressure; leaving your tanks full of e-liquid when flying in an airplane will cause even the best designed tanks to leak.

Why Is My Vape Tank Leaking and How to Fix It - Rock Bottom Vapes
Troubleshooting Tips for Leaking Vape Tanks and Clearomizers
Why Is My Vape Leaking? Here's How To Fix It - vaping.com blog
Vape Tank Leaking: 10 Vape Leak Hacks By VapingZone

Last edited:

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
If his goal was to set the expectation that you'll have to eventually deal with a leaky tank, he was right to say that. When everything's working properly tanks don't leak. But if you look at how they're all built, the only thing holding the liquid in the tank is the wicking and some negative pressure, which is a bit of a precarious state.

You've got two kinds of leaks: internal and external.

Internal leaking (or flooding) is when excessive liquid flows from the tank to the deck/coil and floods it. This is caused by a bad seal or a problem with the wicking.

External leaking is when liquid escapes through the air holes, either because the deck/coil is flooded, or when the air holes get so encrusted with dust that capillary action draws liquid through the dust to the outside (often into the fabric of your pocket).

I'm disappointed that your vaping professional didn't take the opportunity to talk about the advantages of top-airflow tanks. With these tanks the liquid must overcome gravity to find a path to the outside, so they are often billed as leak proof. Geekvape's Zeus line of tanks (now available with drop-in coils) are effectively leakproof in my experience.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
JAFYI...

Way back in the Day, if you ran High VG e-Liquids, you ran a Good Chance of getting Dry Hits. Because atomizers then were designed around people using more PG in their e-Liquids.

Today, if you use High PG e-Liquids, you run a Good Chance of getting Leaking. Because atomizers today are designed around people using more VG in their e-Liquids.

Funny how the Pendulum swings.

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
I'm hesitant to badmouth the salesman because he is faced with the delicate task of managing expectations so the customer does not have cause to later demand a refund or exchange. And I'm sure the bulk of his sales are Smok units that do leak like sieves, because most customers are short-sighted and very cheap and Smok products are the right combination of shiny and affordable that appeals to that sort of person. And because his boss likes the repeat traffic they generate. It's very easy to be an armchair expert in a forum like this, and quite another to work on the front lines.

Georgia Boy

ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2019
Atlanta Georgia
I'm hesitant to badmouth the salesman because he is faced with the delicate task of managing expectations so the customer does not have cause to later demand a refund or exchange. And I'm sure the bulk of his sales are Smok units that do leak like sieves, because most customers are short-sighted and very cheap and Smok products are the right combination of shiny and affordable that appeals to that sort of person. And because his boss likes the repeat traffic they generate. It's very easy to be an armchair expert in a forum like this, and quite another to work on the front lines.
If you can't tell the truth to your customers hopefully you don't last long in that business.

GoMuniEsq: Retail is one '.....' of a job, you often can't get it right whatever you say or do, I take your points though, especially about Smok.

If I am lied too I just don't go back to that store whatever it is, I am a firm believer in honesty is the best policy, in the long term. It could also be that he was trained like this, by the owner or manager and doesn't know any better. Doesn't make it right though, or for good customer relations, long term sales and sustainability.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
I really cant add to this question because the correct answers are there...yes all tanks can possibly leak, but all tanks dont. I run rtas only and have been for 8 years, in that time probably had 50 different tanks set up and vaping and I think twice had a tank leak and it was a dumb mistake. I do get an occasional drip when I leave one in my truck because of the heat, but that's it...I would think drop in coil tanks are even less likely, but never owned one, so not sure

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

GOMuniEsq

Self-Proclaimed Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 25, 2012
Alberta, Canada
If you can't tell the truth to your customers hopefully you don't last long in that business.

GoMuniEsq: Retail is one '.....' of a job, you often can't get it right whatever you say or do, I take your points though, especially about Smok.

If I am lied too I just don't go back to that store whatever it is, I am a firm believer in honesty is the best policy, in the long term. It could also be that he was trained like this, by the owner or manager and doesn't know any better. Doesn't make it right though, or for good customer relations, long term sales and sustainability.
It's a tough one because truth is relative, lies are hard to pin down, knowledge is imperfect, and different people value different things.

If I was a salesman in a vape shop and told every customer exactly how I felt about Smok, I'd irritate a lot of customers and shortly be out of a job. Because Smok is popular and for many it's good enough. A salesman can only be as good as his customers. Is Smok truly bad if many people want to buy it? And is a salesman respectable if he can't stay employed?

If I owned a vape shop and refused to stock what I consider lesser products, I'd lose a ton of sales to the competition and go out of business. Because you have to know your customer and give him what he wants. The most knowledgeable vapers don't visit B&Ms very often because they already know exactly what they want and can order it online for less, so building a business model around them would be a mistake. My cash cow would be the wide-eyed newbie with the thin wallet. I'd sell him whatever he'd take and say whatever pleased him so he'd be more likely to visit again to stock up on high-margin consumables. After all, is a business truly good if it can't turn a profit? We'll never know because it closed down.

And therefore if I was a (Good/effective) salesman in a (Good/profitable) vape shop, I'd know that even the most Popular tanks have a tendency to leak, and I would feel Honest and Upright about sharing that fact with my customer.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
JAFYI...

Way back in the Day, if you ran High VG e-Liquids, you ran a Good Chance of getting Dry Hits. Because atomizers then were designed around people using more PG in their e-Liquids.

Today, if you use High PG e-Liquids, you run a Good Chance of getting Leaking. Because atomizers today are designed around people using more VG in their e-Liquids.

Funny how the Pendulum swings.

I agree zoiDman, with one exception. In my experience with Genisis style tanks (aka GTA's), they seem so far to be pretty much leak proof and only dry hit when the coils become gunked. At least for my bunch of DoggyStyles and my one True, all used with 100% PG. Funny thing is, I stayed away from these for a while because people claimed they leaked easily :rolleyes:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I agree zoiDman, with one exception. In my experience with Genisis style tanks (aka GTA's), they seem so far to be pretty much leak proof and only dry hit when the coils become gunked. At least for my bunch of DoggyStyles and my one True, all used with 100% PG. Funny thing is, I stayed away from these for a while because people claimed they leaked easily :rolleyes:
My first and only experience with Genesis-style tanks was with the AGA-T. The ones that used a metal mesh wick. They leaked if you merely turned it sideways, and you had to do the "Genny Tilt" maneuver to get it to wick. The experience turned me off from rebuildables and I never tried another rebuildable tank until the Kayfun, which used an entirely different and improved design.

images
AGA-T deck and coil build

I imagine after all of these years, the Genesis-style tanks use an improved design from the early models.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Yeah... There are Very Few absolute rules when it comes to Vaping. There is Always some Exceptions.

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018
I agree with the salesman.

If you handle your vape set-up like any other nick-nack knocking about in your backpack or pocket while leading a moderately active lifestyle your tank will leak. If not juice, at least condensation will get out. Tanks are just a bad idea since you are keeping a liquid in an unsealed container.

I tried bottom airflow, top airflow RTAs and drop in coil tanks as well as Genny's with modern and old-fashioned wicks and just got tired of chasing the dream of no liquid on my mod and fingers.

Now I completely switched to RDAs and 10 ml reusable juice bottles. I carry more juice than most tank users and in a sealed container. I still have the occasional spill, but never more than a few drops.

As for the other comments, that's just a bunch of shiney tank lovers who can't see the juice through their flooded airholes :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread