Tank vs Clearomizer - what's the difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
Yes.

Many people mistakenly refer to clearomizers such as the Protank and Vivi Nova as tanks.

They are more accurately called clearomizer tanks or clearo-tanks. In fact if you take the time to read the FULL descriptions this is what many vendors call them on their websites.

People being people, many get lazy and just call them tanks but this causes confusion.

Calling them a clearo-tank refers to their method of wicking and is a much more accurate description.

It also avoids confusing them with carto tanks which are the original "tanks" created right here on these very forums by talented modders who used plastic syringes, rubber grommets and homemade slotted or punched cartos combined with good-old American ingenuity to bring us something better.

Depending on your device and your juice you can have drastically different experiences with each.

For instance: Many people who use high VG juices report less than satisfactory results from a clearomizer, especially the top coil ones.

They have less surface area than a carto tank and dont wick thicker juice as well.In addition to the thicker juice, the top coil clearos are also fighting gravity.

Bottom coil clearomizers do a better job but its been my experience that the flavor of a carto tank is superior to all but dripping and Rebuildable Atomizers or RBAs....which are also sometimes mistakenly called tanks because they too have a juice reservoir.

Hope that clears things up a bit for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: AnikoTheHun

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
  • clearomizers - use tiny string wicks made of silica to bring e-liquid to the coil. Less surface area of wick than a cartomizer (or cartotank). Argueably simpler to fill and replace coils than a cartotank, which has a slightly higher learning curve.

• cartotanks - the cartomizer is completely filled with wick (polyfill), so more wick surface area than a clearomizer. Polyfill is argueably a better flavor carrier than silica.

Proper Terminology: Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments

Baditude's Cartotank Setup Guide

SnowDog

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 1, 2013
Springfield, IL
It also avoids confusing them with carto tanks which are the original "tanks" created right here on these very forums by talented modders who used plastic syringes, rubber grommets and homemade slotted or punched cartos combined with good-old American ingenuity to bring us something better.

Thanks for sharing that. This was obviously before my time here and it's something I did not know. I use carto tanks almost exclusively these days and I had no idea that the concept was created right here on the forums. Very interesting.

I enjoy my carto tanks immensely. To those who "invented" them. THANK YOU!!!

Reactions: AnikoTheHun
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread