Travel and Vaping Tanks leaking on Airplane

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKiltYou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Ok so first let's not let this turn into a should or should you not vape on a plane.

I am a constant traveler living on the west coast and working on the east cost of the US. When I was vaping a look-a-like ecig's using disposable carto's I never had an issue on a plane. Now that I have abandoned them due to cost issues and went to a PV with a tank I have run into leaking issues. I know this is caused by pressure changes in the cabin and I have read a couple threads about opening the tank and such before takeoff and closing it once you get to 10,000 feet. However, I do a lot of redeye's and I am asleep before the plane even leaves the group. Plus it is just a hassle to do. I have since started just flying with empty tanks and only using a refillable carto when on the plane.

So I guess my question is... Is there anything else besides a carto that is airplane friendly? Would I have the same issues with a carto thank?

--MrKiltYou

mvroman

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 6, 2013
Texas
When I fly I bring a half bottle of juice so it has room to expand, and an RDA. I normally don't vape on planes because my flights are usually less than 2 hours though. For tanks, maybe try keeping it half full or less, or keep them empty and fill once you get in the air and feel like you need a vape. Again, an RDA would make it alot easier since you can just drip a couple drops and you're good to go.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

MrKiltYou

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Here is a pic of my current in flight rig...

amusytu9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Ok so first let's not let this turn into a should or should you not vape on a plane.

I am a constant traveler living on the west coast and working on the east cost of the US. When I was vaping a look-a-like ecig's using disposable carto's I never had an issue on a plane. Now that I have abandoned them due to cost issues and went to a PV with a tank I have run into leaking issues. I know this is caused by pressure changes in the cabin and I have read a couple threads about opening the tank and such before takeoff and closing it once you get to 10,000 feet. However, I do a lot of redeye's and I am asleep before the plane even leaves the group. Plus it is just a hassle to do. I have since started just flying with empty tanks and only using a refillable carto when on the plane.

So I guess my question is... Is there anything else besides a carto that is airplane friendly? Would I have the same issues with a carto thank?

--MrKiltYou

Just store your BCC tank upside down for the journey, and the air pressure won't cause a leak.

Bobw1951

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2014
London, UK
Yes they may because the cago hold is not pressurized. You will ether want to empty the tank completely or just throw them in a ziplock bag and then clean them up when you get to your destination. They don't seem to leak a lot.

Thanks for that, I'll just make sure I take empty cartos & tanks and fill when i get there.

JaRod

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2014
Delray Beach FL
I empty all my tanks or put them inside a sealed ziplock bag before taking a flight, except for my PT Mini which I use during long flights and keep it upside down during takeoffs and until the airplane reach cruising altitude (seatbelt signal off) and while the airplane begin the descent usually 20 min before landing or when you feel the airplane nose drop slightly, and all is nice and mess free.

KGie

ECF Veteran
Mar 13, 2014
Tampa, FL USA
I empty all my tanks or put them inside a sealed ziplock bag before taking a flight, except for my PT Mini which I use during long flights and keep it upside down during takeoffs and until the airplane reach cruising altitude (seatbelt signal off) and while the airplane begin the descent usually 20 min before landing or when you feel the airplane nose drop slightly, and all is nice and mess free.

I put my Aspire BDC pyrex tank in a sealed Ziploc that I carried on with me and did not open during the flight... and it still leaked, on the ascent at the very least. By the time of the descent it was hard to tell if there was additional leakage or if I was only looking at what leaked during the ascent that had gotten smeared around more. It seems to me that if all parts of a tank are always at the same pressure, then whether that pressure is rising or falling is not reason for it to leak, so I'm not precisely sure I know why tanks should be leaking on airplanes. Any theories or anything I've missed here? If I had a better handle on the cause I expect various solutions would become obvious.

Miata GT

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Largo, FL
The only experience I have was my wife's recent trip. She took 3 Nautilusi (?) and an IBTanked with her. For whatever reason she put one the nautilus tanks in a plastic bag and the carto tank in a plastic bag. Both those devices leaked like crazy but the 2 not in the bags didn't. They were in her luggage in the hold, which I assume is unpressurized. I would have expected the reverse to happen.

blueGrassTubb

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 21, 2014
The Bluegrass
I recently did a flight to and from Amsterdam (from the US).

I carried a box MOD in my pocket with a Kayfun, and had two other box MODs and a mech in my carry on (along with everything I'd need in the event I had to rebuild something).

I vaped on the plane without issue (though I was being fairly stealthy about it - which shouldn't be confused with trying to hide everything completely). No one had any idea that I was vaping. I never tried to hide my MOD or when I was taking a hot from it, but I did take precautions to let out little or no vapor.

Though I didn't have what one might call "problems" with Dutch customs, I did have to explain exactly what it was I was carrying (a DNA30 box) and demonstrate for at least 2 people that it was indeed an ecig that worked before I could get on my plane (puffing up quite a cloud in the middle of the airport was quite enjoyable). They were impressed. The TSA and US Customs were a breeze with it. One woman at customs looked at it in the scanner for a second or two longer than normal, but nothing more.

The trick for keeping a Kayfun from leaking on a plane is very easy: while on the plane, make sure that the MOD is upside down. Use the seat pocket to hold it in place with the Kayfun pointing down. Not a single drop leaked on any of 4 flights, 2 of them 8 hours long.

RWClark

Aug 18, 2014
Pheonix, Az
I fly for a living. We take off and land many times a day with lots of pressure changes. We can also go from sea level to high mountains in a matter of hours. I can firmly say that tanks (any tanks) will leak like a sieve. I lost a lot of fluid before I figured out how to stop it. I now carry my mod in one of these ( http://www.maxpedition.com/store/pc/5-Flashlight-Sheath-139p199.htm ), upside down and have not had a leak since.

When a flew a search and rescue chopper I never had a leak but we almost never flew above 800ft.

Silver5656

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 22, 2014
Los Angeles, CA
So on a recent drive through the mountains with a height of 5000 feet with 4 kfl's, the 2 in the ziplock bags which were stored upside down leaked, but the 2 that were kept in the car with no zip lock back and just in the cup holder right side up did not leak. Maybe the ziplock bag is the issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread