Status
Not open for further replies.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I just took the survey. Seemed to be worded fairly neutral. My GF works for the Moffitt Foundation (the money raising side to pay for research and treatment). My mother and sister also when through their medical side. My mother is a Breast Cancer survivor after a RM in 1999. My sister passed away 6 years ago from Cervical Cancer, but they found it too late. Overall I think Moffitt is a good organization that tries what they can for their patients. IF we can get them to come out in favor of E-Cigs, or as an approved method of NRT, it would really help us all.

Mike - I've very sorry to hear about your sister and her lost battle with cancer, but I'm glad you took the time to share your story. Just about everything I've heard about the Moffitt center to date has been positive, either through the media or people who have had direct experience with them (like you). I completely agree that if we could get them to acknowledge e-cigs (and THR), they could be an excellent ally as we move forward in our battles against the ignorant masses and misinformation campaigns. This is the primary reason why I'm reluctant to write them off based on the 'additional reading' list on their website.

Update on the research so far: Over the last couple of days, I've been searching for additional funding sources that could show malicious intent for the data obtained by this survey. Other than the ACS (American Cancer Society) funding, which appears to be for specific research projects, I have found none. While I might consider myself to be a proficient analyst in my field of employment (computers), I feel I could be missing reference sources given my ignorance in the area of medical research.

If anyone who has time can assist in researching funding sources, and/or other surveys performed by Moffitt, perhaps it will help determine as to whether or not we should be helping them gather useful data.

Last edited:

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Okay, so I took the survey, and I think it was a pretty fair one.
It is one of the only surveys that gives an opportunity to show what makes electronic cigarettes special.

Agreed. I liked the way they contrasted e-cigs with other NRT products currently on the market. It seemed to me that they were looking for hints of both efficacy and consumer confidence between the two.

I completed the survey too. bnrk

What's your initial thoughts on the questions and format of the survey?

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Well okay, since I have great respect for those who've posted here and for their opinions, I just finished taking the survey. Was pleasantly surprised by the overall tone and by the way they phrased most of the questions and the options they offered as answers. Only two raised my eyebrows a bit, when they asked how many cartridges I used every day (no option to say "I don't use cartridges" lol) and when they asked where I got my supplies, they lumped "mall kiosks" together with "e-cigarette shop" as a single answer... :gasp: (I checked "other" and wrote in "e-cigarette shop, which is NOT the same as a mall kiosk.")

Must say, I saw no evidence of obvious bias overall. Now, of course, it will depend on how they interpret the responses and how they word the final report. We shall see...

Oh, and I volunteered for the focus group, too.

MonkInsane

ECF Veteran
I think that's a good first step to identifying potential malicious use of the data obtained by the survey, but is it really enough to condemn it? To me, it makes sense (being a cancer research center) that they would list most of those current resources as "additional information". I think it would be more telling to find out the financial ties between Moffitt and e-cig opponents.

From Wikipedia:

H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute

Funding for construction of the initial $70 million facility came primarily from the state of Florida's cigarette tax, while the momentum to create the center came from a cadre of legislators, physicians, educators and business leaders who envisioned a new dimension of cancer care and research in Florida.

In 1991, John Ruckdeschel, M.D., assumed the position of Center Director, President and CEO. Under Ruckdeschel's leadership, Moffitt became an National Cancer Institute (NCI) Comprehensive Cancer Center. In 2006, the NCI renewed Moffitt’s Cancer Center Support Grant for another five years. Currently Moffitt receives more than $50 million annually in peer-reviewed grant monies.

From PRNewswire:

AMPA, Fla., Nov. 19 /PRNewswire/ -- Moffitt Cancer Center has been awarded nearly $19 million in grants from the National Institutes of Health under the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009, including a prestigious Grand Opportunities grant to study patient-centered outcomes research.

Multiple sites mentions funding from peer-reviewed sources, but cannot find a list of those sources.

MonkInsane

ECF Veteran
Something does smell fishy, but no real proof that they're up to something.

I also found this:

H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center defends its role as resource | Tampa Bay Times

Gives me the impression that they aggressive about making tons of money (this from a non-profit???). Not really proof of anything, but I'd be weary about participating - but I am distrusting by default. (Trust should be earned :) )

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
Would like to split hairs here a bit, not to defend Moffitt, just to clarify. They are a non-profit, so they don't "make money" per se. They receive grants and donations, and they spend money, but they are prohibited, by law, from making profits as a for-profit corporation would seek to do. The article seems to be making the point of Gov. Scott's distrusting Moffitt's alleged attempts to expand its "brand" at the expense of smaller research orgs. (Also, keep in mind that Fla. Governor Scott is generally considered to be operating in Cloudcookooland...)

Since I am by nature a skeptic, my main concern is knowing if they have, institutionally, any driving ideology (either personally or through grantors/donors) about smoking, tobacco, ecigs, or nicotine or any combination of the above, that would drive and affect the outcome of their research and/or surveys.

In spite of the one-sidedness of their "smoking" references, I haven't so far seen any such bias. I'll be watching them, though. Very. Closely.

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Would like to split hairs here a bit, not to defend Moffitt, just to clarify. They are a non-profit, so they don't "make money" per se. They receive grants and donations, and they spend money, but they are prohibited, by law, from making profits as a for-profit corporation would seek to do. The article seems to be making the point of Gov. Scott's distrusting Moffitt's alleged attempts to expand its "brand" at the expense of smaller research orgs. (Also, keep in mind that Fla. Governor Scott is generally considered to be operating in Cloudcookooland...)

Since I am by nature a skeptic, my main concern is knowing if they have, institutionally, any driving ideology (either personally or through grantors/donors) about smoking, tobacco, ecigs, or nicotine or any combination of the above, that would drive and affect the outcome of their research and/or surveys.

In spite of the one-sidedness of their "smoking" references, I haven't so far seen any such bias. I'll be watching them, though. Very. Closely.

Agreed, and that's my main concern as well (ideological bias), but I see no evidence of that as of yet. On the other hand, I really don't want any unfounded suspicion or paranoia keeping us from obtaining a rather well known potential ally in the medical research field. As most of us know, the truth is on our side, and if they can help support THR concepts, we will be in a better position in our battles against misinformation.

Bill Godshall

Executive Director<br/> Smokefree Pennsylvania
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2009
I most definitely recall at least one news article (perhaps two or more) in the past year or two citing a Moffitt Cancer center doctor(s)/researcher(s) criticizing e-cigarettes.

The article(s) were in my THR Update(s), and I thought that I had posted at least one of them here on ECF (but my search on ECF couldn't find any).

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
I most definitely recall at least one news article (perhaps two or more) in the past year or two citing a Moffitt Cancer center doctor(s)/researcher(s) criticizing e-cigarettes.

The article(s) were in my THR Update(s), and I thought that I had posted at least one of them here on ECF (but my search on ECF couldn't find any).

Thanks for that information, and if you can find those articles, I think it would be useful in this situation. Since you're here, I'd like your professional opinion as to whether or not you believe Moffitt can be trusted to use/publish the data from the survey without bias.

Placebo Effect

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2008
Bill, the only mention I have of Moffitt in my Gmail archives of your THR updates is this:

Outdoor Smoking Bans

Study finds Moffitt Cancer Center's ban on outdoor smoking resulted in 22% of employees who smoke reporting a negative impact on job performance, 35% increased smoking before and after work, and just 7% quit smoking. Outdoor Smoking Ban at a Cancer Center: Attitudes and Smoki... : Journal of Public Health Management and Practice

I also had nothing when looking for e-mails mentioning Dr. Thomas H. Brandon of Moffitt.

TyPie

ECF Veteran
Apr 13, 2013
New Joisey (aka NJ)
I took the survey, AND took the liberty to mention what an insidious evil tobacco cigarettes are, that e-cigs appear likely to become an economic juggernaut, and how they will likely revolutionize public health the world over if the powerful, profit-driven industries that could give a rat's azz about public health were not permitted to "have their way".

TampaToker69

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Tampa, FL, Alpha Quadrant
I took the survey last week and signed up for the "focus group" The study is tentatively scheduled for 9/17 at 6pm near USF. I'll receive an email and info on where the event will be held. Of course this is what "Marina" scheduled me for. Supposed to last about 1 1/2 hours. Offering a $25 gift card. They want us to do a show and tell about our experiences and devices/liquids we use. Sounds good to me!

Stay tuned...

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
I took the survey last week and signed up for the "focus group" The study is tentatively scheduled for 9/17 at 6pm near USF. I'll receive an email and info on where the event will be held. Of course this is what "Marina" scheduled me for. Supposed to last about 1 1/2 hours. Offering a $25 gift card. They want us to do a show and tell about our experiences and devices/liquids we use. Sounds good to me!

Stay tuned...

What devices do you use? Would be nice if there's a good variety of devices represented.

The chance to speak your mind about ecigs AND a gift card?! Wow! (Too much to hope, I suppose, that it'll be from an ecig vendor... :laugh:)

Break a leg, TampaToker69! Standing by...

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida

Stay tuned...

I received an email about this focus group today as well, and I'm pretty sure I'll be going. I'll bring my eGo travel kit, my Provari, and my MCM. :D

AgentAnia

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2013
Orbiting Sirius B
I received an email about this focus group today as well, and I'm pretty sure I'll be going. I'll bring my eGo travel kit, my Provari, and my MCM. :D

Hope there's a crash cart handy when those researchers get a load of your Provari show-and-tell! :lol:

Don't know what an MCM is, but I hope it's humongously cool!

BuGlen

Divergent
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 6, 2012
Tampa, Florida
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread