Teaching my SON.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TINMAN01

Dec 24, 2018
Plattsburgh, NY
My Son is 24yrs old and new to vaping. I of course want him to be a safe VAPER, but he doesn't want to build his own coils yet. I still taught him ohms law, battery safety and configuration, and mod safety. It was kind of hard actually !!! On forums and posts I can answer at my leisure. But to teach...I had to be careful. I didn't want to "information overload" him in details. So over a week I layer effected my teaching. First basics and a little more each day. I will wait a week and let it soak in...then comes my questions. Simple and basic questions...I know he won't know all the answers. That's ok, it's cool.....we all started out that way. I'm still learning something new or reminded of something old and forgotten.
Vape on my Friends and Vape Safelly!!!

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Very cool.

Glad you are taking the time to teach wisdom to your son. If he don't get it now, he will later.

My pop used to draw pictures on a paper napkin to get his point across. He'd say "go get me a pencil" and of course I'd return with a nub about the size of a cigarette .... (that needed sharpening).
Hmmph!
As I got older he'd say "go get my carpenter pencil and my pocket knife"....

To this day I find myself drawing at times to get a point across.

TINMAN01

Dec 24, 2018
Plattsburgh, NY
Nothing wrong with premade coils and a sub ohm, in fact that's what he is using. BUT......I don't want him to be misinformed that a regulated mod means SAFE. I know this may cause arguement and not my intention but it is true. BASIC Fundementals is essential....30A batteries rather than 20A's...why means learning ohms law. Dead shorts, means test and build on a TAB 521 and check it out. Etc, etc.This way when he tries someone elses mod or builds without me looking over his shoulder......less chance to get hurt.

Cobramamba

Dec 24, 2018
Irvine, CA
Thatsa great! Practice practice practice. Mini screw drivers are where are started. Just make sure battery and mod are safe to use considering how low you want your Ohms to be. Im sure you have a Ohm checker where you screw atomizer in. Then most importantly find a Nice litle tupperwear or tackle box so he can be organized and follow in your footsteps

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
Nothing wrong with premade coils and a sub ohm, in fact that's what he is using. BUT......I don't want him to be misinformed that a regulated mod means SAFE. I know this may cause arguement and not my intention but it is true. BASIC Fundementals is essential....30A batteries rather than 20A's...why means learning ohms law. Dead shorts, means test and build on a TAB 521 and check it out. Etc, etc.This way when he tries someone elses mod or builds without me looking over his shoulder......less chance to get hurt.

Sounds like should be teaching the class so non vapers will quit asking "don't those things explode?".

Oz approves Tinman.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
My Son is 24yrs old and new to vaping. I of course want him to be a safe VAPER, but he doesn't want to build his own coils yet. I still taught him ohms law, battery safety and configuration, and mod safety. It was kind of hard actually !!! On forums and posts I can answer at my leisure. But to teach...I had to be careful. I didn't want to "information overload" him in details. So over a week I layer effected my teaching. First basics and a little more each day. I will wait a week and let it soak in...then comes my questions. Simple and basic questions...I know he won't know all the answers. That's ok, it's cool.....we all started out that way. I'm still learning something new or reminded of something old and forgotten.
Vape on my Friends and Vape Safelly!!!
Welcome and glad you joined.
I'm surprised about the information I think I know and have forgotten.
For a back up primer/fill in, could have son read in spare time:
Learn About Vaping Here - Everything Ecigs - From Beginner To Advanced
Learn What Vaping is and How to Inhale Properly - Vaping360
https://spinfuel.com/new-vapers-start/
ECigarette Academy: Essential Need to Know for New Vapers
Beginner Archives - Guide To Vaping
Vaping 101: An Ultimate Guide Focusing on Basics for Beginners
6 Quick & Useful Vaping Tips for Beginners
(10) Advancing Up the Vaping Ladder with Egos and Mods | E-Cigarette Forum
(1) Proper Terminology - Is it a carto, a tank, or what? A Guide to Juice Attachments. | E-Cigarette Forum

Last edited:

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I don't want him to be misinformed that a regulated mod means SAFE. I know this may cause arguement and not my intention but it is true. BASIC Fundementals is essential....30A batteries rather than 20A's...why means learning ohms law.
Not safe, only SAFER. And there is no need for 30A batteries rather than 20A batteries if your wattage setting doesn't require it. Using a regulated mod is not using Ohm's Law, but using Watt's Law.

This past Thanksgiving I had the opportunity to see the batteries my son was using in his single battery regulated mod. Same age as yours: 24 years. I was horrified. :shock: He was using an old brown LG HG2 with a torn insulation wrap. The other battery he was using was a newer Imren brand (rewrap brand).

We spent the next couple of hours talking about batteries and safety, looking at my battery guides and Mooch's videos on battery safety on a laptop.

I showed him my Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping and Are You Using a Rewrap (Rebranded or Aftermarket) Battery? and how to find them for future reference. (Just google "Baditude's Blog".) I also told him about Battery Mooch and his You Tube video series on batteries.
Battery Mooch - YouTube

Needless to say, for Christmas he got four brand new LG HG2 3000mah 20A batteries along with a couple of plastic battery cases. He has an Efest LUC V4 charger, so I know he's good there. He knows to charge on a fireproof surface and not to charge when he's not around to monitor the charging. He now knows not to use batteries with less than perfect wraps and not to use re-wrap China batteries.

Last edited:

TINMAN01

Dec 24, 2018
Plattsburgh, NY
About 2 weeks ago in a (very good) "Old" FB group a gentleman posted his Double Barrel V3 completlely burnt by a battery run away. There must have been 5-6 replies made stating " how it should NEVER HAPPEN with a regulated device." I retorted with a brief comment and explanation. Then my followers, admin, group came in further explaining. It wasn't the mod...in was a dropped battery (dented negative) that went to delay prior to venting. Probably had internal battery damage as well.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
About 2 weeks ago in a (very good) "Old" FB group a gentleman posted his Double Barrel V3 completlely burnt by a battery run away. There must have been 5-6 replies made stating " how it should NEVER HAPPEN with a regulated device." I retorted with a brief comment and explanation. Then my followers, admin, group came in further explaining. It wasn't the mod...in was a dropped battery (dented negative) that went to delay prior to venting. Probably had internal battery damage as well.
It's all about knowing and understanding safe battery practices. Batteries are the most IMPORTANT part of our setup. As Mooch says, don't use batteries which are less than PRISTINE: Perfect wraps. No indentations. No history of trauma or misuse.

It doesn't matter if a battery is used in a regulated or mech mod. The same safe battery practices must be followed. Protection circuitry in a regulated mod should make it safer to use, but can't be relied upon to make it totally safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread