Telling parents I vape.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CloudsLA

Moved On
May 19, 2015
Im 18 and decided I am going to tell my parents I vape. Wanted to know the best way to do this. My mother has seen my older cousin vape and didn't really care but I don't know how she will react to me doing it. I have gotten my cousin to quit smoking after I gave him one of my setups so hopefully this will encourage my parents to not be disappointed in me. I have introduced a lot of people to vaping and about all of them have left cigarettes by now. My parents are the type that don't listen to reason. More of a "I don't care I don't like it". I have talked to my mother in the past about electronic cigarettes and she just didn't like the idea she just sees it as another addiction.
I share a room with my cousin and plan on leaving my vaping gear in his drawer just incase they get mad and try to throw it away.
My parents don't know much about vaping. I have built coils in my room wide open and they have never questioned me.(although I was building on an ohm reader).
How should I go about telling my parents I vape. i was planning on just showing my cousins setup to them since they have seen it. He leaves it in the open. And just tell them I have a setup too.

USMCotaku

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
California
Odd, your profile states you are 20....

If the above post is true.... No one here can really give you family advice, we don't know them. If you live in their house, and they say they don't want you vaping, the reasonable thing to do is not vape there. What you do outside of their house, as an adult, that's your business, under their roof is theirs.

Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
hang out in your room vaping... when they walk in on you and see you vaping.... no words needed.. and when they start on you, hold up a pack of ciggies and ask which of the 2 they would prefer to see you do... because its gonna be one of the choices :)

And their response - ' if you have enough money to buy & use either you have enough money to pay for your own place to live '
Ultimatums such as ' its gonna be one or the other, which do you chose ' when the person giving the ultimatum has zero authority to give them and nothing meaningful to gain and quite a bit to lose are just flat silly.

Reactions: broahes

Jode

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2014
Seabrook, NH, USA
Odd, your profile states you are 20....

If the above post is true.... No one here can really give you family advice, we don't know them. If you live in their house, and they say they don't want you vaping, the reasonable thing to do is not vape there. What you do outside of their house, as an adult, that's your business, under their roof is theirs.

Sent with one hand, the other is busy vaping.

This^^^^. If you live under your parents roof then respect that it is their home/ their rules. What you do in your outside time is only your business.

jeaminkim

Jun 17, 2015
You can always vape under the blanket and when they tell you what your doing,
you can lift the blanket and all that vape will explode into the room.

lol but on real talk..
You live with them so if they so no, dont do it in the house. only outside
where they cant see you

If i saw my son vaping, well i cant say much cause i do it in front of him too.

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
They are probably going to want to know why, since most people use these to get off cigarettes. And you're really not going to have a good reason, other than I like it. And you're living in their home, with their rules, and I like it just isn't good enough. If you've hidden it from them, there's a reason why. So if you decide to tell them, be ready to cause a conflict. Their first instinct will be to blame your cousin for getting you into it so i would start off with how you started to avoid confusion. And after that, see where it goes? I don't know.. If you know they won't want you doing it, then doing it in secret is hiding something from them, and they aren't going to like that. Parents aren't stupid people, they are just people like you. My mom had my sister at your age, to put parenting into perspective. So how would you feel if your kid hid this from you? What would you want to hear?

AllElseFailed

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2015
Champaign, IL
As a mother of an 18 and 19 yo, I will say that I'd rather my kid told me than tried to hide it. However, I agree with previous posters, if they don't want it in their house, you have to abide by that or get your own place. Turning into an adult while still living with your parents can be tricky on both ends, in my opinion. I would be totally against my children vaping, but that is because they have never been smokers. If they smoked already, I would much prefer vaping to smoking and would encourage it.

Basically not enough info for informed advice without knowing WHY you started vaping.

Reactions: NoFumus

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
It really does depend on WHY you're vaping. If you've vaping in order to quit smoking, and they knew you smoked, that ought to be a sufficient explanation. If you don't smoke and never have, that might be more difficult. Just saying "because I enjoy it," will probably prompt a response such as "well, enjoy it elsewhere then, not here." Of course, you could say that you and your friends took a vote on which would be more cool and more fun: IV drugs, drinking till you puke, swinging baseball bats at mailboxes, or vaping, and vaping won. Which might be helpful, but might still prompt the response above.

If you're not vaping in order to quit smoking, then you don't really have any good logical reason why they SHOULD allow you to do it at home, if they really object. I frankly can't see why they would object... unless they've swallowed whole all the garbage being spouted about vaping.

But one response above gets my vote: do what an adult would do. Don't lie, don't hide; if they object and you really want to vape in comfort in your own home, then it's time to move out.

Andria

Traijan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 24, 2014
USA
I started smoking cigarettes when I was 18, I was away 9 months out of the year at a boarding school. Even though I was 18 I still had to have my parents permission (a written note) to smoke at the boarding school, so I found the best way was simply to tell my mother that I smoke and need her to sign a permission form which she promptly did and nothing else was said about it. 32 years later I told her that I quit smoking after 32 years of it and she looked puzzled at me and said "I'm really sensitive to cigarette smoke, and I never even knew that you smoke" (wow, really!?!)

Just be honest with your family, maybe bring home some positive literature in case they have questions you have something besides your own opinion.

Ou2mame

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2015
Long island
Lol thats crazy. My mom died of lung cancer when i was almost 17 and my dad was a smoker too. He quit the day she died, and I started smoking when I was about 23, and he never mentioned it but knew that I smoked. I guess he just put it in the back of his head cause when I told him I switched to vaping he seemed confused cause he didnt know I still smoked. I was living in my own since I was 18 and am a neat freak so I guess I hid it well? Or maybe he just thought I smoked socially when I drank because I never smoked around him because of the circumstances of how he quit. I think people just put things in the back of their mind and ignore it.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
My parents are the type that don't listen to reason. More of a "I don't care I don't like it". I have talked to my mother in the past about electronic cigarettes and she just didn't like the idea she just sees it as another addiction.

Given this information, I wouldn't tell them (directly). If they can be reasoned with, then always better to be upfront / honest. But if they are going to be emotional / irrational about it, there would seem to be little benefit in telling them directly.

I'd bring it up indirectly a number of times to see how they react. Like letting them know you are proud that you were able to help others stop smoking by getting them into vaping. Even in these types of conversations, if they asked directly if you vape, I'd not volunteer that info, until you get a sense of whether discussion will be rational or them being irrational.

Reactions: AndriaD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread