temp control mode keeps switching back to power mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

unfadeable

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
Georgia
Also sometimes it will read no atomizer found. I took it apart and built new coils and it still does it on seperate rda (tugboat) and a rta(griffin). Makes me want to chunk the new roll of 100ft ss in the trash can.

But when it does work it would say protection and vape, but I barely get any vapor at all.

Last edited:

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
What type of coil are you building? If it is contact, then try spaced and aim for .5Ω resistance. It sounds like a bad connection, TC is very temperamental, though less so with SS than Ni, but the connections still must be solid. I don't have experience with the attys you are using, but the connection between them and the mod must be good as well.

A side note when using temp control as well, make sure the initial reading of the coil is at room temp, NOT warm or hot. I have the best results with 26g 8wrap 2.5ID spaced coils in my Top Tank mini.

unfadeable

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2010
Georgia
I think I figured out why it was doing that. My build (dual coils @ around 20- 25 ohms, contact coils) , I guess was too low causing the mode to not work properly. I took out a coil and am running it at single coil at 54 ohms and its working fine now, its not switching me to power mode anymore. But now and then it will read it as a new coil and I would have to confirm it as old.

So I'm guessing temp control cant be used if your builds are really low?

I just bought a 100 ft roll of 24 g stainless steel and I guess I can't use them for dual coils because I would have to wrap them like 15-20 times to make the ohms around .50 ohms and and it will not fit in my rta and rdas.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
Also, with the VTC Mini, are you reading the coil at cold room temp initially, then you have to go into the triple fire button click trick, navigate down to the Ohm symbol, and lock the resistance in. As the wire heats, its resistance (ohms) increases, in TC mode the mod reads this resistance gain to calculate the temp, locking in the cold temp of the coil sets and locks in the baseline resistance to measure off of, if not locked in, this baseline increases as the coil is heated, throwing off the TC calculations.

Reactions: unfadeable

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
I think I figured out why it was doing that. My build (dual coils @ around 20- 25 ohms, contact coils) , I guess was too low causing the mode to not work properly. I took out a coil and am running it at single coil at 54 ohms and its working fine now, its not switching me to power mode anymore. But now and then it will read it as a new coil and I would have to confirm it as old.

I just bought a 100 ft roll of 24 g stainless steel and I guess I can't use them for dual coils because I would have to wrap them like 15-20 times to make the ohms around .50 ohms and and it will not fit in my rta and rdas.
I don't think it was the low resistance, more than likely it was the dual coils. I remember with Ni you could use dual coils, but unless they were exactly (or very near exact) the same resistance/build it would have issues. I believe the same would hold true for SS. There will always be people that say their dual coils, or contact coils, or both, work perfectly with TC, but from everything I have seen and experienced, single spaced coils always perform the best, just less variables to account for.

I have always used 26g for temp control, whether Ni or SS. Tried many times to use 28g Ni and it just seemed to heat up too fast. Experimented a little with 28g SS and 26g performs better, IMO. I think the little bit more effort needed to ramp up the thicker wire helps with performance. 24g should do well, you just run into the problem of coil size if you are wanting to use it in a tank system. 26g seems to me to be the best all around compromise for TC.

RandyF

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2013
Arizona
Also, with the VTC Mini, are you reading the coil at cold room temp initially, then you have to go into the triple fire button click trick, navigate down to the Ohm symbol, and lock the resistance in. As the wire heats, its resistance (ohms) increases, in TC mode the mod reads this resistance gain to calculate the temp, locking in the cold temp of the coil sets and locks in the baseline resistance to measure off of, if not locked in, this baseline increases as the coil is heated, throwing off the TC calculations.
I have never been a fan of locking in the resistance. If you build solid coils it shouldn't be necessary, as your resistance should not be changing. The device locks in the initial read automatically, which is why it is important to connect your atty when the coil is at room temp. Fluctuations after that point are indicative of problems that should be addressed. Forcing the resistance is simply masking a potential problem.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md

Time to pick up some 26g-28g wire - Problem solved.
Grab a good Dripper, Velocity is excellent - for single Coil SS mounted long ways between the post. It will Rock on a Single for flavor and decent clouds at .5ohm

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Anyone have any ideas on why does my mod (evic mini vtc) keeps switching from ss temp control mode to power mode? I know you can vape ss in power mode but I want to try out temp control.
Clean out the 510 connection, happens to me when reconnecting my tank after I've over dripped.. Happens quit often actually, but once it's connected and then I over drip it doesn't seem to happen again until I remove my atty...

Canadian_Vaper

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 30, 2015
ON. Canada
Yup time to order some 26-28 g wires. I already have two velocities which i use frequently. A single coil between the two posts? I never thought about that, Im gonna give that a try...thanks.
I once did a 26g twisted parallel with a 24g kanthal between the posts, was a neat build but size was limited so it didn't work out so great :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread