TEMP CONTROL WOES. SUPER LONG RAMP UP! MEDIOCRE FLAVOR... HALP!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello ECF,
I remember when i first started vaping, this community was there to help me through the learning curve. Welp the learning curve has once again appeared.
I have started to venture into the world of Temperature control. I couldnt wait to see what it was like.
I bought the new sigelei Fuchai with TC and calculated a build that would come out to about .06 ohms when the wires are cool. ( Yes I am locking the resistance)

My build: 26ga Nickle wire / 16 wraps each around a 3mm bit ( dual coil ) This is on an Aeolus Lite rda.

My problem: There is almost no way that this build is reaching the target temperature. The ramp up time is longer than anything i have ever experienced. The vape is way too cool for my taste no matter what temperature i set this at.
The only solution i have found so far... is if i lock the resitance after firing the coil the resistance will be a little higher (a .06 ohm build will be locked at a .07 or .10 ohm at most). This for some reason will lead to a more satisfying vape but i have no idea if this is opening me up to any potential hazards in terms of abusing the hardware. I need someone advise on this specifically as well

This mod is supposed to adjust the wattage/volt automatically according to what temperature setting you put it on so it does not have wattage/joules control while in tc mode.

Please halp!!

BlueridgeDog

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 20, 2014
Rocky Mount, VA, USA
Failure to produce enough heat in TC mode is frequently one of the following:
-A hot leg (pushes the resistance up so the mod thinks the whole wire is hot)
-variable atomizer resistance (the atomizer adds to the total resistance and the TC calculation is thrown off)
-Touching coils
-Shorting coils that are making contact with some other part of the atomizer

To get things working, make a single spaced coil of 8 wraps around your current bit and test. Start there and work your way up.

Reactions: JimScotty0

Croak

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2012
Right behind you...
Two 26ga 16 wrap 3mm coils is a LOT of coil mass. A LOT. As in, you know, too damn much. You've got the wrong gauge for dual coil builds, for one thing. You'd need 28ga at a minimum to make what I'd consider a workable dual coil Ni200 build.

Hell, even a DNA200 with 200 watts of preheat would have a hard time ramping that coil up in the same week it was fired. Hell (again), nobody in their right mind makes a 40 wrap (2*20) 26ga Kanthal build and expects it to work well, and I bring this up because your Ni200 build has about the same coil mass as that.

My suggestion is to switch to titanium, where you can make sensible-sized, non-fragile dual coils and not worry about resistance nearly as much.

Last edited:
hm
Failure to produce enough heat in TC mode is frequently one of the following:
-A hot leg (pushes the resistance up so the mod thinks the whole wire is hot)
-variable atomizer resistance (the atomizer adds to the total resistance and the TC calculation is thrown off)
-Touching coils
-Shorting coils that are making contact with some other part of the atomizer

To get things working, make a single spaced coil of 8 wraps around your current bit and test. Start there and work your way up.
How can i check for hot legs without pulsing the coil? It's supposedly not recomended to do this? isnt it?

Two 26ga 16 wrap 3mm coils is a LOT of coil mass. A LOT. As in, you know, too damn much. You've got the wrong gauge for dual coil builds, for one thing. You'd need 28ga at a minimum to make what I'd consider a workable dual coil Ni200 build.

Hell, even a DNA200 with 200 watts of preheat would have a hard time ramping that coil up in the same week it was fired. Hell (again), nobody in their right mind makes a 40 wrap (2*20) 26ga Kanthal build and expects it to work well, and I bring this up because your Ni200 build has about the same coil mass as that.

My suggestion is to switch to titanium, where you can make sensible-sized, non-fragile dual coils and not worry about resistance nearly as much.
I plan on trying titanium soon. Trying to find a local store that sells them. Turns out they're not easy to find unless you order them online.

ok, what temp you aimimg for and are you sure you are in Ni mode and not Ti?
Im not really aiming for a particular temperature. Im trying to get a warm vape. This is the first time ive tried to use temp control. So if i had to choose a temp i would say 450 farenheight and yes i am in Ni mode

ok, what temp you aimimg for and are you sure you are in Ni mode and not Ti?
Im not really aiming for a particular temperature. Im trying to get a warm vape. This is the first time ive tried to use temp control. So if i had to choose a temp i would say 450 farenheight and yes i am in Ni mode

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
you must have to set a temp?!?

Reactions: MacTechVpr

TheotherSteveS

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2015
Birmingham, England
ok, so in Ni mode, say, the display should show a temp on the right hand side of the display. If in fahrenheit, use the up/down buttons below the screen to adjust the temp to say 420F and try that. If its too cool, raise it up by 5 until you get something you like!

edit: so what the mod is doing is using what it thinks is a good wattage to reach the temp you set. At that point, it will be temeperature limiting and will vary the wattage up or down, very quickly, to maintain that coil temp. But you have to give it a target temp up front!!

Last edited:
ok, so in Ni mode, say, the display should show a temp on the right hand side of the display. If in fahrenheit, use the up/down buttons below the screen to adjy=ust the temp to say 420F and try that. If its too cool, raise it up by 5 until you get something you like!

edit: so what the mod is doing is using what it thinks is a good wattage to reach the temp you set. At that point, it will be temeperature limitig and will vary the wttage up or down, verty quickly, to maintain that coil temp. But you have to give it a temp up front!!
Yes that ive done. Ive played with the temp up and down to warm up the vape but there is no change. Does the temp need to be aet before locking the resistance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread