Temperature control (TC) with intricate builds

Status
Not open for further replies.

wazzubulubudubdub_

Apr 21, 2019
Germany
Hello dear community,
I saw a thread about Temp control (TC) with mixed wires/intricate builds. Wanted to reply and sadly it was closed, so here is a new thread hopefully not in the wrong section‍♂️

I have seen people talk about Temp control (TC) with mixed wire types (SS, Ni80, Ni200, Ka and Ti) so I wanted to ask what experience everyone has made. Heard of people talking about the core wire being the main part of fine tuning the coil in temp control (TC) mode. Therefore i went along and put the theory to the test ‍♂️

I am using the Wismec reuleaux RX Gen3 Dual mod and first tried mixed wire in TC mode with the Vandyvape Pyro2 (RDTA). I had both, the mod and atomizer, at room temperature. Then I still had an old double staggerd fused clapton sleeper coil lying around (2x .40mm SS both spaced claptoned with .16mm Ka and the filled the spaced with some more .16mm Ka) which I slapped into the pyro2. Set the TC mode to SS, slapped it on my mod and put some wick into that then wet that a bit with some liquid. Started off very low at 120°C and moved my way up whilst always saturating the wick when I upped the temperature. Once I found the sweet spot (when the mod cut out and dry fire) i took the wick back out and put some fresh back in. Saturated that a worked like a charm

I am aware that the temperature probably isn't the temperature that the device is tuned at due to the Kantal wrapp, i am just trying to let everyone know that you can use mixed wire/intricate builds with TC. I ended up at 195°C and am pushing 150 watts; havnt gotten a dry hit since. I can only advise everyone to be careful with temp mode and mixing wires. But whoever loves a consistent vape and saving wick then you should have a go at this. I am astonished. Takes a while to fine tune but once done it is just amazing. Battery life lasts much longer and most important no more dry hits. Perfect when at a sit in and had a little to drink

Let me know what all your experiences are within this subject

Now have a good day vapefam and vape safe

Much love from Germany ‍

Attachments

• IMG_20190325_122139_117.jpg
    IMG_20190325_122139_117.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 35
Last edited:

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
One of the issues with exotic coils as I understand it is it turns out they don’t act as juice wicks as much as was previously assumed, and one of the things an exotic coil does is heat the chamber air as well as the wick, which may be a reason exotic coil builds are referred to as “hot”. It would seem to me (lacking any evidence) that where the sensor wire is in the exotic coil would have a major effect on whether it was measuring juice temperature, air temperature, surrounding wire temperature, or a combination of all three that varies from individual coil to individual coil. Doing a “hand fit” results based tuning like you did would work in any of the cases though.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
Wismec/Joyetech/Eleaf firmware is far too picky about resistance fluctuations to allow use of this kind of coil. I've tried, but ALWAYS get an error. Switching to Arctic Fox or Red Panda will allow for it. Many other mods allow for it, too... IF they'll allow for manual TCR. Calculate that value using Steam-Engine.org. those that don't allow manual TCR should be OK with exotics all made from the same material.

Now, having written all of that, it's just far, far easier to stick with one common metal... I use SS316L fused claptons in almost ALL of my TC devices.

wazzubulubudubdub_

Apr 21, 2019
Germany
Wismec/Joyetech/Eleaf firmware is far too picky about resistance fluctuations to allow use of this kind of coil. I've tried, but ALWAYS get an error. Switching to Arctic Fox or Red Panda will allow for it. Many other mods allow for it, too... IF they'll allow for manual TCR. Calculate that value using Steam-Engine.org. those that don't allow manual TCR should be OK with exotics all made from the same material.

Now, having written all of that, it's just far, far easier to stick with one common metal... I use SS316L fused claptons in almost ALL of my TC devices.

I am very surprised that you say you get errors. I havnt gotten a single error so far. Just tried the same technique with the OBS Crius2 and a .40mm SS core that was claptoned with .16mm Ka wire. Works just fine on the Reuleaux RX Gen3 Dual. Not having any problems with dry hits on this one either. Hmm.

Have you tried to adjust the TC mode at a low themperature before screwing your atomizer to the Wismec mod?

It certainly is easier sticking with one wire material. Agreed ;)

• Informative
Reactions: bombastinator

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

I think his point was not that it is necessarily easier or harder, but that it could be done if one processed carefully and looked at reported measurements as relative values rather than actual ones.

Shawn Hoefer

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 21, 2015
Arkansas Ozarks
I am very surprised that you say you get errors. I havnt gotten a single error so far. Just tried the same technique with the OBS Crius2 and a .40mm SS core that was claptoned with .16mm Ka wire. Works just fine on the Reuleaux RX Gen3 Dual. Not having any problems with dry hits on this one either. Hmm.

Have you tried to adjust the TC mode at a low themperature before screwing your atomizer to the Wismec mod?

It certainly is easier sticking with one wire material. Agreed ;)
Yup... tried everything... error says something like resistance doesn't match and kicks me back into wattage mode at 20 watts. Arctic Fox and Red Panda firmware eliminated the errors, so no way to check now :)

wazzubulubudubdub_

Apr 21, 2019
Germany
Yup... tried everything... error says something like resistance doesn't match and kicks me back into wattage mode at 20 watts. Arctic Fox and Red Panda firmware eliminated the errors, so no way to check now :)

Sorry to hear that, my mod just asked me if I had put in a new coil due to the resistance not matching the old coil. I then had to push up for yes or down for no. However if I did just not press anything or hit the fire button it would bring me back to wattage mode with 20 watts. Maybe misread something? Happened to me when I first installed the coil into my crius2. Thought that it didnt work because I flew back to 20watts, but I was just too quick with pressing buttons

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Sorry to hear that, my mod just asked me if I had put in a new coil due to the resistance not matching the old coil. I then had to push up for yes or down for no. However if I did just not press anything or hit the fire button it would bring me back to wattage mode with 20 watts. Maybe misread something? Happened to me when I first installed the coil into my crius2. Thought that it didnt work because I flew back to 20watts, but I was just too quick with pressing buttons
Which mod? When that happens to me my mods just stare at me till I make a choice.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Still the Wismec Reuleaux RX Gen3 Dual, sadly the only mod I have :D
I’ve got one of those in a drawer. I can check this. Goes on my ever lengthening list of things to try. Next up is remanufacturing my VTX200 squonk buttons. I’m part way through that. Then two other projects. Ask again in a month, I might have a confirmation or denial for you.

With luck someone else will beat me to it.

wazzubulubudubdub_

Apr 21, 2019
Germany
I’ve got one of those in a drawer. I can check this. Goes on my ever lengthening list of things to try. Next up is remanufacturing my VTX200 squonk buttons. I’m part way through that. Then two other projects. Ask again in a month, I might have a confirmation or denial for you.

Awesome! Would interest me to know if others go through the same process :)

CasketWeaver

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2014
Decatur, IL 62521
24G 316L core, 28G 316L wrap, 6 wrap, 3.5mm ID - 85W @ 475F on [emoji3459] 250C works like a charm.

As for mixed wire builds I couldn't tell you. I would think that the probability of been working would be very difficult since the only wire that I believe it sees is the core wire. I could be wrong, but I think that's the only wire that really matters is the core.
Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

Argh. It’s a releaux 2/3 not a gen 3. Less useful.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

wazzubulubudubdub_

Apr 21, 2019
Germany
Yeah that’s totally not the same one I got. Releaux gen 3 was a fairly popular mod iirc. There should be a bunch or em around.

I love mine, havnt had any problems with it, and I gotta say it's been through a lot. Hehe. Works great for temp control and doesn't seem to have a problem with coils that have too much Kantal or Nichrome wrapping :hubba::thumbs: I will install another coil with an SS core and wire without resistance change (Ka or Ni80) tomorrow. Going to update on how that went :thumb:

wazzubulubudubdub_

Apr 21, 2019
Germany
I have just made a few helixed single coils with a 3mm Diameter at always 4 wraps. The specs are 2x .40mm twisted SS frames with a .16mm Ka waved centre wire and helixed that with some more .16mm Ka.I have just heated the coil and removed hotspots. Letting everything cool down now and will post right after I have tweaked the TC mode for no more dry hits as well as perfect vape temp. Shes at .16ohm right now :pop::drool:

Attachments

• 20190423_094821.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 11
  • 20190423_094848.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 20190423_100026.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 20190423_100021.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 20190423_100030.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 6
  • 20190423_100037.jpg