The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

Textured kanthal

Discussion in 'General Vaping Discussion' started by DantesInferno, Mar 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. DantesInferno

DantesInferno Vaping Master Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jul 22, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Anyone try this yet? If not I'm throwing it out there for folks to try. We all know increasing surface area increases vapor and flavor. Been doing this for about a week now and I have to say it works well. Using a v3 hana with an atomic and no other coil has given me the flavor of this textured kanthal. So far it has improved the performance of 24, 26 and 28ga kanthals and rene wire. Maybe its just in my head. Lol. The way I've been doing it is laying my wire on a patio brick and then using another brick to roll the wire back and forth creating a scuffed up and pitted wire. You can see in the pic that my wire is no longer smooth and pretty. All those scuffs and pits are what increases the overall surface area. Then I just torch and wrap as usual.
    [​IMG]

2. Funk Dracula

Funk Dracula Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Earth
    Why not just twist the wire? Same idea.

The patio bricks and all that seems dirty to me...

3. DantesInferno

Jul 22, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Ya basically similar result without halving the resistance. Battery life on my dna30 is much better closer to an ohm than going sub ohm.

And ya don't go dig up bricks out of the yard to try this. Lol.

4. Jimi D.

Jimi D. ECF Guru ECF Veteran

Oct 26, 2010
    Florida Keys
    I get plenty of surface heating area with flat ribbon Kanthal.

5. DantesInferno

Jul 22, 2012
    Central Illinois
    Eh did the flat ribbon wire. Doesn't cut it for me. Twisted 28 is great but on some of my setups I just don't want too low of resistance. And ya I know. I've tried 30 and 32 twisted. Double, tripled. Dual twisted with flat in the middle. Twisted 28 does the best for me. Sure I can increase the size to increase the resistance but then you run in to it not fitting in the atty or firing too slow.

6. crxess

crxess Grumpy Ole Man Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 20, 2012
    Williamsport Md
    Me, I drop a 30ga. 1.4 ohm coil in a Kayfun with a cotton wick and kick back.

It's all personal preference.

7. WattWick

WattWick Vaping Master ECF Veteran

Feb 16, 2013
    Cold Norway
    Been playing around with ribbon wire lately. Given the same resistance, I can't say I notice any real difference in flavor and vapor from my regular 28 awg. Have two identical Kraken clones. One with ribbon, one with regular. Couldn't tell you which is which unless I pop the cap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.