Thank God for YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonflie

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2014
Got it all sorted out! :) My premade wicks just suck. Went to the local shop, bought some wire, and the guy there made me a coil that's working fabulously! He also took a look at my juice channels and said they looked fine, unless I went to max vg (which isn't for me anyway). Slay learned how to top fill so it's way easier now! Man I love that shop lol.

Sent from my Droid Maxx via Tapatalk

dragonflie

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2014
I love that store, the people there are really cool. This guy apparently had a kayfun obsession at one point, and told me he had 11 filled kayfuns going at once lol. That's why I felt confident that he could tell me what my channels were like. He was really animated and excited. Course I probably would love my job too if I worked in a vape shop!

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
Rewicked and dry burned, flooded it a little, but I fixed it easily, might be a small accomplishment but damn I feel proud of myself LOL.

Congratulations! So glad you ventured into the world of rebuilding. You won't ever have to put up with a mediocre build ever again. Your tastebuds will thank you for it. I have 5 Kayfuns filled all the time, so they are addicting.

dragonflie

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2014
What a weekend.

So I top off my kayfun, plop it onto the MVP and try to fire it up.

Nothing.

Hmm.. Ohm check, says "non." Having no idea what that means, and hoping there's nothing wrong with my MVP, I put a nauti on there. 1.6 ohms. Wth. So I figure my coil is busted somehow? I take it apart and coil looks fine, little dirty but nothing a dry burn won't handle. Put the base back on for another ohm check and it's still reading NON.

Built a new coil, my first attempt, same wraps as the guy at the shop did, Rewicked, plopped it back on to heat the coil and pinch it. NON. Seriously??

Took it off, checked the bottom screw (it was tight ). But the beauty ring on the MVP was ever so slightly loose. And I mean a really really tiny bit. Well what do you know, now I'm getting a reading of 1.4 ohms!

Guess I understand now why people were complaining about the MVP not being spring loaded! Made a new coil for nothing lol.

Then on Sunday, it's cold and breezy, we just get back from the store and I get changed into pajamas so as to have a proper lazy Sunday in front of my computer in my cozy house with my vape. I comment on how much in my happy bubble I am to the rest of my family. 20 minutes later I hear my son yelling and a strange gushing sound...

Yep, broken pipe under the sink, lots of pressure, so gallons upon gallons of water in my kitchen, AND the basement because it gushed through the floor.

Sigh.

ReigntheGamer

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Oct 14, 2014
What a weekend.

So I top off my kayfun, plop it onto the MVP and try to fire it up.

Nothing.

Hmm.. Ohm check, says "non." Having no idea what that means, and hoping there's nothing wrong with my MVP, I put a nauti on there. 1.6 ohms. Wth. So I figure my coil is busted somehow? I take it apart and coil looks fine, little dirty but nothing a dry burn won't handle. Put the base back on for another ohm check and it's still reading NON.

Built a new coil, my first attempt, same wraps as the guy at the shop did, Rewicked, plopped it back on to heat the coil and pinch it. NON. Seriously??

Took it off, checked the bottom screw (it was tight ). But the beauty ring on the MVP was ever so slightly loose. And I mean a really really tiny bit. Well what do you know, now I'm getting a reading of 1.4 ohms!

Guess I understand now why people were complaining about the MVP not being spring loaded! Made a new coil for nothing lol.

Then on Sunday, it's cold and breezy, we just get back from the store and I get changed into pajamas so as to have a proper lazy Sunday in front of my computer in my cozy house with my vape. I comment on how much in my happy bubble I am to the rest of my family. 20 minutes later I hear my son yelling and a strange gushing sound...

Yep, broken pipe under the sink, lots of pressure, so gallons upon gallons of water in my kitchen, AND the basement because it gushed through the floor.

Sigh.

What a vaper reads, well some crap that wasn't so cool happened but my mod is working awesome. Thank goodness I don't have to put up with all of this with just a clearo. :lol:

Hope the clean up isn't too bad, broken pipes suck.

dragonflie

Verified Member
Sep 22, 2014
If you're going to run it on the mvp use 29 or 30 gauge. Anything thicker doesn't heat up fast enough at 11W :)
We've been using a 7 wrap 28awg coil now since we got our wire, and it's tasting fabulous. :) I've been setting voltage to 4.8. I'm finding if I press the button for a half second before I take it it's doing well.

built4feel

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 13, 2014
South Central PA, USA
That is easy to fix. Use ReadyXwick in it. I dry burn every other tank. No changing of wicks for at least 5 months.

peng,

What size wick do you prefer? and diameter of coil?

Im wanna try it in my kayfun tomorrow.
I've been using the 2mm @ 1/16" in my Odins/Reos the past two days. I love not having to rewick once the coil gunks up... or I forget to squonk, and get a scratchy burnt cotton hit :mad:

Also,
with flavor... it seems to be different? Im still experimenting with different juices, but it gives them a different type of flavor than I was experiencing with cotton. Vapor production seems about the same, maybe a bit less (compared to the same res. build with ... cotton). The rxw seems more consistent though... especially when I give it enough juice. Banana pudding is tasting ultra amazing- very puddiney.

dragonflie, PM me, and I will send you a sample of it, if you wanna try it out (I feel bad for taking over your thread). ;)

Last edited:

penguiness

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2014
Nashville, TN, USA
peng,

What size wick do you prefer? and diameter of coil?

Im wanna try it in my kayfun tomorrow.
I've been using the 2mm @ 1/16" in my Odins/Reos the past two days. I love not having to rewick once the coil gunks up... or I forget to squonk, and get a scratchy burnt cotton hit :mad:

Also,
with flavor... it seems to be different? Im still experimenting with different juices, but it gives them a different type of flavor than I was experiencing with cotton. Vapor production seems about the same, maybe a bit less (compared to the same res. build with ... cotton). The rxw seems more consistent though... especially when I give it enough juice. Banana pudding is tasting ultra amazing- very puddiney.

dragonflie, PM me, and I will send you a sample of it, if you wanna try it out (I feel bad for taking over your thread). ;)

built4, I put a pin through the ReadyXwick and wrap my coil right on it. The pin stabilizes the ReadyXwick and the tighter the coil is around it, the better it does. The space where the pin was provides extra juice channel space. You could use a sewing needle but be careful that the sharp end does not fray the wick inside as it will shorten the life of it. You only need the ends to barely touch the deck. I do my Kayfun coils at a slight angle (not straight across) so the ends of the ReadyXwick touch the deck to the side of the juice channel. I have builds with both 2mm and 3mm (with 3mm in Taifun's). You may find the 3mm too thick to bend properly for some Kayfun's at first, but after some practice with the 2mm you can work with 3mm better. Here is a post with pictures that shows what I do:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/coil-builds/382676-post-pictures-your-working-wick-coil-setup-338.html#post12203878

The biggest trick with ReadyXwick is to not handle the wick a lot so it does not fray unless you can snip the fray off. I no longer have wicking issues at all. When I dry burn I don't take the chamber off, just the chimney so I can observe. This keeps the wick from fraying. Sometimes I rinse with hot water before burning which works very get rid of bad gunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread