Status
Not open for further replies.

jonniemac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Rosemount, MN
jmgcoder.imgur.com
Well, I just got done with assembly on a DNA30 mod that I designed and had printed at shapeways. You can see the full album here: America Mod - Imgur

It was a fun build and I didn't make too many more mistakes than normal along the way. If you have any questions just let me know!

4Z7ITmQ.jpg

Last edited:

jonniemac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Rosemount, MN
jmgcoder.imgur.com
Nice job how's it holding up

So far, so good. I had it printed with 2mm thick case walls so it's not flimsy by any means. I'll see how it holds up under long term daily use once I fix a couple of little things. I forgot to remove the little screen protector on the dna screen so I'll have to take it apart and I want to adjust the throw of the fire button a little.

Last edited:

gdeal

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Aug 4, 2012
( -_-) Ω~
Jon, great walk through on the Imgur album. That is really nice work. I like the use of clamps for the charger, DNA board and screen. Gotta luv those mini thread forming screws. They work great. How is the resolution on the shapeways printing for the outline of the DNA board? It looks pretty good in the pics, are you up-sizing the specs for +/- deviations?

jonniemac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Rosemount, MN
jmgcoder.imgur.com
Jon, great walk through on the Imgur album. That is really nice work. I like the use of clamps for the charger, DNA board and screen. Gotta luv those mini thread forming screws. They work great. How is the resolution on the shapeways printing for the outline of the DNA board? It looks pretty good in the pics, are you up-sizing the specs for +/- deviations?

Thanks! Resolution is pretty good, I did need to clean up some edges with a file but nothing horrible. I've been adding a tiny bit of expansion in the holes for the buttons for example. If the button is 10mm I'll make the hole for it 10.1. Think I designed in an extra .05mm on all sides of the DNA and screen frame and they almost dropped right in.

jonniemac

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2012
Rosemount, MN
jmgcoder.imgur.com
jonniemac,

I found your stuff on shapeways.com while searching for DNA30 stuff, and I really like your v1 and how everything just snaps together :)

Keep up the great work!

Thanks! I've been trying to devise ways to make the builds as easy as possible and allow all of the electronics to be easily removed in case people want to put them in a new "home".

vewdew

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2013
new bedford, MA, USA
Thank you! More build logs will be coming soon. Have chips, parts and other body styles on hand just need to find the time to heat up the soldering iron.

Yeah same here, just got done building 1 more wood case just to lazy lately to solder the electronics, well not lazy just been working a lot of hours lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread