The Chi-You APV - From Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.

kdragn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
New York
I am not knocking Mojo for how the sale was handled today (obviously VapeRevs fault), and I get that with increased quantities comes other concerns. Even so, my thought would be to strike while the iron is hot and increase production modestly while retaining a similar level of quality control.

I hadn't heard of the Nemesis yet - looks really cool. Thanks for the heads up!

I understand your frustration, but I don't believe you've really thought it through carefully.

$200 is not going to get you very far with any project requiring skills and access to specialized equipment (at least not here in America). That makes sense, right? I think you're underestimating the skill and time it takes to make these mods. The only reason these hand made items are available so cheap (yes, I said and I do mean cheap) is because the makers are investing their own time and labor. If they hired skilled help to produce the mods, the price to the end user would increase quite a bit.

Search google for a small company called cw&t that launched a KickStarter project called Pen Type-A. Read their story about how difficult it was to have something made to spec (a relatively simple pen and case). And then realize that they're selling a pen for $150 and they had almost $300,000 in capital to start with. I think you'll start to understand why it's not all so simple.

kdragn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
New York
I am not knocking Mojo for how the sale was handled today (obviously VapeRevs fault), and I get that with increased quantities comes other concerns. Even so, my thought would be to strike while the iron is hot and increase production modestly while retaining a similar level of quality control.

I hadn't heard of the Nemesis yet - looks really cool. Thanks for the heads up!

I understand your frustration, but I don't believe you've really thought it through carefully.

$200 is not going to get you very far with any project requiring skills and access to specialized equipment (at least not here in America). That makes sense, right? I think you're underestimating the skill and time it takes to make these mods. The only reason these hand made items are available so cheap (yes, I said and I do mean cheap) is because the makers are investing their own time and labor. If they hired skilled help to produce the mods, the price to the end user would increase quite a bit.

Search google for a small company called cw&t that launched a KickStarter project called Pen Type-A. Read their story about how difficult it was to have something made to spec (a relatively simple pen and case). And then realize that they're selling a pen for $150 and they had almost $300,000 in capital to start with. I think you'll start to understand why it's not all so simple.

NayrTrawe

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2013
Chicago, IL

Totally valid points, and I don't have a background in these things so I acknowledged in my post that I might have been missing something. From an outside perspective when you don't know what goes into a product like a mod it is just hard to understand. Maybe the community could benefit from a behind the scenes look at what manufacturer's go through - I know I would find it fascinating.

kdragn

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 9, 2013
New York
Totally valid points, and I don't have a background in these things so I acknowledged in my post that I might have been missing something. From an outside perspective when you don't know what goes into a product like a mod it is just hard to understand. Maybe the community could benefit from a behind the scenes look at what manufacturer's go through - I know I would find it fascinating.

i would totally love to see how these things are made, too. have you ever seen that show "how it's made"? i love that stuff.

if vaping continues to be popular and mods continue to be in high demand, eventually there will be very high quality mass produced options. but if other industries are any indication, the latest, "trendy" handmade gear will continue to be frustratingly scarce and priced at a premium. dealers of all sorts of premium luxury goods (which, admittedly in many cases is intentionally limited in production) allocate their merchandise to maximize their profit.

i'm done trying to be intellectual. i'm mostly talking out of my ... anyway. :)

NayrTrawe

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2013
Chicago, IL
i would totally love to see how these things are made, too. have you ever seen that show "how it's made"? i love that stuff.

if vaping continues to be popular and mods continue to be in high demand, eventually there will be very high quality mass produced options. but if other industries are any indication, the latest, "trendy" handmade gear will continue to be frustratingly scarce and priced at a premium. dealers of all sorts of premium luxury goods (which, admittedly in many cases is intentionally limited in production) allocate their merchandise to maximize their profit.

i'm done trying to be intellectual. i'm mostly talking out of my ... anyway. :)

I think it would be a great idea for someone to do a documentary on e cigs - where it all started all the way through to what is happening today, also touching on some of the challenges the industry is facing. I know I would pay to see that!

Jethead

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 1, 2013
Hampton, Virginia
Me too.... For the Dingo's and Rollers too which came up and I didn't get a notification, and I've also got one in on the Gus's and pretty much everything else that they have on their site but not in stock.

I have a big problem with patience....

Seriously? I have had an email notification set up on that one for the past month or two and I never got an email letting me know they were in stock.

Fiamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2012
So Calif
I saw a SS Chi You first and thought it classy and sleek, but I wanted a brass. So I waited as patiently as possible. Now I have it in hand and it is drop dead gorgeous. The threads are buttery smooth, the finish is flawless, the hit is amazing. I'm a dripper by choice and have an adapter and a 901p atty on it from Empire Mods and a drip shield. Pure Nirvana :D

wertyxhts

Verified Member
Feb 4, 2013
USA
Just got this! Didn't have to wait in line or anything. Paid retail.

J39rMNa.jpg

sinistral

Verified Member
Mar 8, 2013
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Sucks that today, Vape Revolution releasing the brass Chi You in store only. They dont even sell it online. Sucks to other people from other place that want to get this mod. Standing in line right now since 5:30am and store open at 11am. They said they only releasing 50 mod. And im like the 75th person in line. Hoping Vape Revolution will give a reservation list to the people that its in line right now for the next batch like me. Mojo need to atleast tell Vape Revolution to atleast sell half of it online. Its not fair to other people that live in other states. :(

50 is crazy. why not wait until the modder can make a few hundred even if it takes longer. allowing people to line up in front of your store knowing that youre only going to sell 50 without telling them is pretty shady. ive camped out for jordans but at least you know you'll be able to grab a pair if youve been there all night.

i just dont like that shop overall. feels a bit snobby or pretentious. walked in with my vamo and all the employess have $200+ mods on top of their ridiculous prices on everything else, made me feel like a peasant. almost makes me forget about what vaping really is, which is just a healthier alternative to smoking, not some exclusive club. maybe im just hating. i really do want a chi you but if i have to buy it from them i'll pass.

NayrTrawe

ECF Veteran
Jan 2, 2013
Chicago, IL
Kinda interesting developments.... From what I can gather from a post on FB the US is getting a new list of resellers for the Chi-You. Saw no mention of VapeRev....

I just saw that, too, and came here to see if anyone knew what was going on. Are any of the other stores on the list online, or are those all local B&M? I could only find an e-commerce site for one of them and the Chi-You was not listed.

jkim5708

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 17, 2012
So Cali
50 is crazy. why not wait until the modder can make a few hundred even if it takes longer. allowing people to line up in front of your store knowing that youre only going to sell 50 without telling them is pretty shady. ive camped out for jordans but at least you know you'll be able to grab a pair if youve been there all night.

i just dont like that shop overall. feels a bit snobby or pretentious. walked in with my vamo and all the employess have $200+ mods on top of their ridiculous prices on everything else, made me feel like a peasant. almost makes me forget about what vaping really is, which is just a healthier alternative to smoking, not some exclusive club. maybe im just hating. i really do want a chi you but if i have to buy it from them i'll pass.

I walked in with a cov edition ggts with oddy and they made me feel insecure...i got a hold of a brass chi after market ..over retail..at least vape rev didnt get my $$$.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread