The "Clearmax" VV/VW mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aron Gatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Malta
Total weirdness at Madvapes - the "Clearmax" mod - a Zmax board in a clear tube.

Smoktech Zmax Variable Volt APV

I wonder if Smok make these or are did they buy a bunch of boards and put them in the clear tubes?
It needs lots of LED's in it but I still want one!

Who the hell will won't that? V/z max look great !! Might aswell go for them

AnsonJames

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2011
IRELAND
Who the hell will won't that? V/z max look great !! Might aswell go for them

Maybe you should add "in my opinion" as you'll find that everyone is different.

$40 cheaper than a Zmax will be a reason and it's still a Zmax for all intents and purposes.
The Steel/chromes are nicer but this is still an interesting mod - $79 for variable wattage is a very good price.

Last edited:
Everything will prob be glued in and the contact post looks cheap, price is good but the constuction of the zmax is really nice, feels strong and contact pin is perfect, for $40 more i would deff go with a metal zmax, plastic????..imo fail...wheres bob barker with the bom,bom ba,bommmmm

mnementh666

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2011
portland or
I don't know how many ppl are reading the Z thread, but here's my reply, with only a couple additions: 1. At least the battery won't short against the tube :rolleyes: And 2. It's less money. Always a win, in my book.

I have one in transit now, just got the "shipped" notice this morning.
It might be ugly, but it's unique, and the troubleshooting will be easier :p besides, if the clear tube becomes too scratched/cracked/otherwise damaged, I imagine that it'd be easy to remove the board and put it a box-style house, like a gripper.
Being it's just ZMax guts in a clear tube, I doubt it will be any different than the chrome/SS Z's.
I did notice on the pics that MV has, you can see a silkscreen that shows V1.1, anyone have any insight? Any teardowns on production Z's that show or mention that?

jackbox

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2012
Thailand (U.S. Expat)
I don't know how many ppl are reading the Z thread, but here's my reply, with only a couple additions: 1. At least the battery won't short against the tube :rolleyes: And 2. It's less money. Always a win, in my book.

The battery won't short against the metal tube if you don't remove the protective shrink wrap.

Aron Gatt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 5, 2012
Malta
Maybe you should add "in my opinion" as you'll find that everyone is different.

$40 cheaper than a Zmax will be a reason and it's still a Zmax for all intents and purposes.
The Steel/chromes are nicer but this is still an interesting mod - $79 for variable wattage is a very good price.

Yes in my opinion of course ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mnementh666

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 16, 2011
portland or
And for those of you who might be curious, here are pics comparing size to a Lavatube.
Also showing the red display.

Sent from my HTC Desire Z using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1348868320768.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348868320768.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 523
  • uploadfromtaptalk1348868409012.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348868409012.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 790
  • uploadfromtaptalk1348868431402.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1348868431402.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 828

billherbst

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2010
Columbia, Missouri
www.billherbst.com
OK, I took a chance. Although I'm not especially thrilled with the gargantuan size of the tube (5" long by 1.05" wide) and Madvapes interior construction might be less than stellar, I just ordered an Acrylimax in the swirled red color. The color of the acrylic tube appealed to me, at least from the pictures, and the acrylic is thick enough that I'm not worried about the tube cracking. Madvapes' 90-day warranty should get me over the hump of possibly getting a lemon on first try.

With Madvapes current 10% off coupon, "LOVETOVAPE," the price was $71.99 with free shipping. At that price, I'm willing to roll the dice for a dual voltage-regulated or power-regulated mod that uses any 18650 flat-top battery---ICR or IMR. Yeah, I could have bought a third Evolv KICK for $48 and put in into another of my older 18650 tube mods (I still have an Omega that would be cool as a power-regulated mod), but for only $23 more, I get both VW and VV, plus longer vape times between battery swaps (18650 vs. 18500/18350), plus no fiddling with the Kick module. The fact that the Acrylimax has a flat 510 top connector rather than an eGo style top connector with a well is meaningless to me. If I want to use a Kanger T2 on it, I have 510-to-eGo adapters for that.

I guess I could have waited for the price to come down on the ZMax, or for the expected (and hoped-for) revision of the PWM algorithms to display Vrms rather than Vave, but I'll just run the Acrilimax at 7.5 watts rather than 10.

All in all, it'll be a fun experiment. I'll report back after I've had it for awhile. Anyone want a Vmax V2 that's seen relatively little use? LOL.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
I sent a question to MV through their Ticket System asking if there were any plans to offer extension cap for stacked batteries and the reply was "At the moment there are no plans to have an extension cap made for the clearmax apv". Maybe not something that most folks would want but I would want that way. Just thought that I would pass it on. Certainly a good buy as some places are getting near that for Lavatubes.

aziffel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2010
nc

My thoughts exactly!Use it as is till the tube cracks or gets so scratched up its opaque,or the connections get loose then put the guts in your choice of box.
Hmmm....VW altoids mini box maybe

Roary

Verified Member
Aug 5, 2012
Melissa
So I received my "ClearMax" today. For what it is supposed to do, it seems to do it very well. The menu took very little to get used to, even though I am coming from a LT like device.

As far as fit and finish, it seems to leave a lot to be desired. I understand the challenges that are associated with acrylic and what you have to do to work with it. With that, my clearmax unfortunately out of the box, was slightly marred a little around the battery area, and then marred heavily around the top where the top "cap" meets the body. It appears to be some type of glue or adhesive that they used to put it together. Also, the threads at the bottom do not appear to be glued in but rather pressed in slightly.

With all of that said, am I happy with my clearmax? Yes. Was I planning on covering my clearmax before I got it? Yes. What is my point in writing this? To be as honest as I can about a product that other people are looking to buy as well. The button is very "clicky" and I think that is a good thing. You know when you are making contact and when you aren't.

The display is very bright and very distinct. I have a couple of TrustFire 3000mah protected batteries that are a little too long to be used in the clearmax. However my ICR 2200mah fit perfectly. I have not tried the VV portion of the clearmax, but if it works anything similar to the VW then it will be perfect!

skipdashu

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 12, 2011
Central Texas
...power-regulated mod that uses any 18650 flat-top battery---ICR or IMR.

I saw the batteries MV lists for this thing but frankly, I'd have a problem recommending anything but IMR/CGR type batteries for a 4A boost mod like this. It'll really be working an ICR hard when set at higher voltages and/or with lower resistance 'heaters'.

Over 2C out of an AnycrapFire isn't gonna last long. Remember that these things only really test out, at best, to around 1950mAh (Trustfire). 2C would be 3.9A on a brand new one in top form. After a few charge/discharge cycles that number is gonna start dropping.

Stick to IMRs or the hybrid Pan CGRs designed to be able to do 10A or better. Flat tops do work fine. Remember these are ZMax guts and Smoktech recommends only IMR type batteries for theirs. Keep your ICRs for, at best, your older LavaTubes that'll never try for more than 2C.

PS: One week on my Clearmax now w/o issues and I find myself using it a bit more than my Z, it's lighter and I like the 'exposed guts' look. EZ to remember which batt is in it also ;-)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread