Not open for further replies.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
Great info, Scott, thanks. As you see, I haven't even considered those new (top, bottom, side) airflow atomizers. I have one or two of them, OBS nano and something else, I never even tried them. I'm stuck in the kayfun build--air from the bottom only. I need to expand my horizons. :D

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
The science for that one is still somewhat ambiguous. Cigarettes DO often have some very sketchy chemicals added to them to make nic absorb faster which ejuice generally does not have

Everyone has a different experience. If you were able to get off cigs by vaping MTL@6mg congratulations. You are in a fairly small minority. Personally I very much doubt you vaped 6mg MTL to get off cigs. I suspect you most likely reduced you nic level over time as most do. I used to vape 24mg nic. I now vape 10mg DL and if I vape that 10mg MTL I am puffing like a chimney.
I am at 3mg. I do both sort of a hybrid MTL/DL --- I think I prefer an airy MTL and I do vape a lot. Started at 50mg. 2-3mg works for me. Thought about going lower but I seem to be satisfied where I am at.

chellie

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
Most of what has been said is generalities yet many have been stated as pure fact.

1. First and foremost MTL and DTL are inhalation types only. In general MTL specific devices do use really tight air flow, higher resistance coils, and higher nic juice and DTL in general uses much looser air flow and lower nic, they do NOT have to. I personally vape MTL style on "DTL" tanks using a restrictive 510 drip tip and slightly closed off air flow. This gives me a nice loose, easy to draw, MTL experience. I cannot stand trying to use "true MTL" tanks. If you like sucking fresh milkshakes through a coffee straw, then true MTL is for you.
I've joked in the past that I am a lazy vaper - I do not like a tight draw at all - even on cig it drove me crazy! I vape .5 ohms 20 to 30 wattage and wide open usually top and bottom airflow.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
OP, what device are you using? As mentioned, if you have a fairly tight mtl tank, you probably are having a hard time trying dtl. Also what mg juice are you using? If you do indeed have a mtl tank and are using a low nic juice, are you feeling the need to suck harder?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: stols001

Frenchfry1942

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 12, 2014
There are A LOT of variables when vaping. The point is not smoking cigs. That being said...

I think the sound of sucking through a hose is embarrassing. I just go with a longer draw. I don't think I ever consciously did a DL. When I started, I couldn't do a DL and so I just got into the habit. I enjoy the flavor much longer than I think a DL would permit and it is relaxing.

I sit and relax. I enjoy the flavor. The cloud is unimportant to me. Less juice, less battery and less embarrassing sucking.

Just my :2c:

P.S. I also inhale balloon helium slower.

Last edited:

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
I think the sound of sucking through a hose is embarrassing.
You could always decide to build it such a way that it will sound like sucking on a SpaceX rocket's engine. :oops:

This is a .26 ohms build (SFC 28/36 Ni80 @2.5mm ID) in my Vapergate 24mm Mason V2 RDA, that I vape with just the bottom air option at somewhere comfortably in between 1/3 and 1/4 of the way open, on the Vaperz Cloud XXX stacked using "5-legged non-tabbed" iJoy 20700 cells so giving me close to 200 watts at full blast. It's fairly loud I guess, but flavor hits the spot while X marks it...

sfc.jpg

Last edited:

dripster

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Feb 18, 2017
Belgium
I think a lot of people switching straight from smoking prefer MTL because it mimics smoking behavior (ie holding it in your mouth and THEN inhaling).
I think a lot of this preference comes from refusal to accept the simple fact that vaping is fundamentally different from smoking (i.e. smoking and THEN not smoking).

Reactions: stols001

airidosas252

Jan 23, 2019
Šiauliai
Oh man, this topic is far more difficult than it really looks. First of all, you have to like MTL draw (tight, complete opposite of DL), then you should know that your vaping style will be completely different and you won't immediately fill up your lungs with vapor. MTL is far more precise with it's draw, it's not like I could "suck" on it however I want, no, that's not going to work.
Kayfuns are a prime example - you need to be delicate with it, take a puff with precision and enjoyment. The softer you pull, the better vape you gonna get. My Siren v2 is the same way - put a build you like, then prime it and here comes the interesting part - airflow. I get to tinker with airflow far more than I do with wattage. Even it being slightly off completely offsets me - with DL I don't really care about that.
That's the art of MTL'ing and finding a perfect (I guess nothing is perfect, right? But for someone it clearly is) MTL atomizer might be difficult, unless you aren't picky about things I mentioned above.
Some pointers too:
-Flavor is going to be different. It's really difficult to comprehend that.
-Juice consumption is way down compared to DL.
-Battery life savings.
-Cooler vape.
-Usually longer draws (I really like this about MTL)
-MTL atomizers favor simple builds far more than DL atomizers do.
-You never need to go bonkers with wicking it. Pull the cotton through, stuff in juice channels and you're good to go.
Regarding MTLs with replaceable coilheads, there are a few good atomizers. To name a few - Nautilus 2S delivers really good MTL experience (forget about Nautilus 2, it floods like a .... and it's difficult to keep it clean). I guess that's the only atomizer of this type in my head, can't remember any other which would be remembered well.
In my daily life, I use MTL far more than DL, simply because I don't have to care about charging my batteries frequently, filling up juice as often and just enjoy it.

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
I loved your well thought out post. Although I like to add:

-Flavor is going to be different. It's really difficult to comprehend that.
Some juices I like the taste better with MTL and some better while DL.
-Cooler vape.
Ouch! I take it that you don't use TC? Because it is just the opposite under TC. As TC MTL is a much warmer vape than TC DL at the same temperature setting is a much cooler vape. But a lot of DL vapers like a much warmer vape and turn up the wattage to get it. I suspect many are really heating their coils in the high 500°F or even much higher. They also complain of short coil life. Yeah no doubt. Charring your juice will do that. :(

BillW50

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2014
US
That is how I started cigarette smoking when I was a kid dreamvaper. That is until another kid told me that I was smoking wrong and to inhale the smoke into my lungs (damn him :lol:). Funny, when I vape MTL, I go back to that puffing thing when I first started. I am still trying to break this habit after 4 years of vaping. Vaping DL is different, as there is only one way to do it. So this I do like everybody else.

airidosas252

Jan 23, 2019
Šiauliai
I loved your well thought out post. Although I like to add:

Some juices I like the taste better with MTL and some better while DL.

Ouch! I take it that you don't use TC? Because it is just the opposite under TC. As TC MTL is a much warmer vape than TC DL at the same temperature setting is a much cooler vape. But a lot of DL vapers like a much warmer vape and turn up the wattage to get it. I suspect many are really heating their coils in the high 500°F or even much higher. They also complain of short coil life. Yeah no doubt. Charring your juice will do that. :(

I've tried to use TC with various mods and tanks and damn... At times I really love the consistency of it, but sometimes I really miss my wattage. Moreover, I kind of hate really warm vape when MTL'ing (funny since with DL it's the complete opposite - hot vape is really satisfying for me).

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
so you used to vape it like a cigar without inhaling the vapor in your lungs? That's actually interesting. Did you have enough taste and vapor feeling this way?

I still do vape that way, for more than 5 years now. There are quite a few of us who don't inhale the vapor into our lungs. There's been discussion about it in several threads over the last 4-5 years, even some fairly recently...like the "Snorking" thread in particular.

As far as having enough taste and vapor feeling - The answer is a definite yes! Since tastebuds are only on the tongue, and taste is also affected by the sense of smell...keeping the vapor in my mouth and in my nasal passages only, it allows me to always get great flavor. I get enough of the vapor feeling, too, when it's in my mouth and as it's exhaled. :thumbs:

dreamvaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Nov 20, 2018
    UK
    I can take their devices and without changing anything easily blow double or triple the cloud they do and I am not even taking a longer draw

A new way to prove your dominant position in the family :thumbs:

and less embarrassing sucking

so there is always another point of view on the sucking process :blink:

Katya

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    SoCal
    That is how I started cigarette smoking when I was a kid dreamvaper. That is until another kid told me that I was smoking wrong and to inhale the smoke into my lungs (damn him :lol:). Funny, when I vape MTL, I go back to that puffing thing when I first started. I am still trying to break this habit after 4 years of vaping.

Why would you want to break this habit? It's a very good and healthy habit. Just sayin'.:D

smoked25years

ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2018
    There are quite a few of us who don't inhale the vapor into our lungs.

I mostly vape that way now. It was conscious decision for me, not reflexive. When I smoked, I inhaled deeply.

Lots of nicotine is absorbed in the mouth and upper respiratory tract. But if you aren't getting enough nic that way, then you can hold before exhaling. Or just increase the nic concentration in the eliquid.

Since tastebuds are only on the tongue, and taste is also affected by the sense of smell

I agree. No reason that it would affect flavor.

I find it funny that people talk about how to get the most flavor with their RBA. Many of the commercial eliquids are so over flavored and over sweetened that I can dilute them 5 times and enjoy the flavor. Some I can dilute 10 times.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread